HWH air leveling service????? - Page 2 - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-27-2008, 03:39 AM   #21
fulltiming

Glad you got the tag issue resolved. Keep chipping away at it and you will have it working the way it should. You might put a ammeter on the solenoid to confirm your connection theory.

1992 Newell 43.5' #281
8V92 DDEC-2, HT740
PT Cruiser GT with Remco Transmission Pump
https://newellowner.com/newell-photos/
fulltiming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 04:34 AM   #22
encantotom

before i replaced my bad solenoids, i took them apart and cleaned them up and put them back together. when on the bench, i could get them to work, but when in the manifold they would not. i only assume that they were getting weaker somehow. also, make sure all your grounds are well grounded....i redid the ground wiring on mine to be sure.

https://www.newellclassic.com/forum/album.php?albumid=8
encantotom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 08:16 PM   #23
HoosierDaddy

Question

OK, The left side just will not come up unless I jump 12v to the( Left rear)leveling solenoid. If I jump 12v to the travel solenoid after leveling it with the leveling s'noid it starts to lower. I'm suspecting whatever keeps it level in the travel position is not right. Is there a way to check that? (I swapped the travel s'noid and the dump s'noid which seems to work just to eliminate the solenoid as a factor ...no difference)
The "not in park" light comes on whenever I try to run the system with the pad. I'm guessing there's something amiss with the control box> I'm waiting for a call from an HWH tech to help trouble shoot it (I called the company yesterday... They were too busy to take my call so are supposed to call back)...That's the latest.
1993 Newell 45'#316, 1976 Trans Am 455, 1967 GTO, 1953 Chevrolet 3105 (panel truck),1952 Chevrolet 3600,1969 Airstream Overlander. Always fixing something!
HoosierDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 12:09 AM   #24
fulltiming

The height of the travel leveling system is adjustable. You may have a bent or slipped connector on the travel height rod on the left side. Trying to get to the level adjustment isn't easy without putting yourself in a bad place if the coach were to drop so if is essential to have cribbing or high capacity jack stands under the frame to keep it from accidentally dropping on you. Make all adjustments with the leveling system and ignition turned off. Extending the length of the rod on the left rear will cause the travel leveling system to think the coach is sitting to low and try to raise the coach to compensate. Of course it is also possible that the travel height valve on that side is defective but your comment about jumping the travel solenoid causes it to start to lower would have me looking at moving the adjustment upward on the left rear rod first.
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
8V92 DDEC-2, HT740
Old 08-02-2008, 09:08 PM   #25
HoosierDaddy

It appears that the travel leveling valves are adjusted properly. From what I can tell the arm coming from the valve should be near level at travel height. both upright links (from axle to arm) are near the limit of their length as well. The driver side (which sits low) appears to have a new leveling valve already installed. The only way I can keep the rear tires from rubbing is to put 12v to the up leveling solenoids. Note to Newell:Shouldn't there be enough clearance to prevent the tires from rubbing if all air is lost from the suspension?
I went to Ridewell's web-site in hope that I might learn how to troubleshoot the leveling valves but didn't learn much there. Now I'm back to sittin-n-thinkin and standin-n-starin !!!
1993 Newell 45'#316, 1976 Trans Am 455, 1967 GTO, 1953 Chevrolet 3105 (panel truck),1952 Chevrolet 3600,1969 Airstream Overlander. Always fixing something!
Old 08-03-2008, 05:41 AM   #26
encantotom

when my air is all dumped out of my air suspension, my rear tires ride the fender flares. so what you are seeing is not unusual.

Old 08-03-2008, 07:41 AM   #27
fulltiming

Dean, if the level arm appears to be in the correct place, then it is possible that the level valve itself is defective and letting air out most of the time. The best way to check that, although again blocking the frame is key to safety, is to disconnect the linkage and see where in the movement of the valve air is being discharged and if there is a point at which air is being sent to the air bags by the level valve.
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
8V92 DDEC-2, HT740
Old 08-16-2008, 12:59 AM   #28
HoosierDaddy

Thumbs up LAST CHAPTER (I hope)

I sent the brain box(bb) and the touch pad TP) to HWH. They replaced a circuit board and a resister in the bb and the on/off switch and the vinyl "skin" on the tp. Newell found a "used" manifold to replace the drive axle control manifold that used the square s'noids. I also purchased all new round s'noids for the drive axle. I bought new ridewell height control valves for the rear axle. My project for this week was to install everything but the HCValves....My neighbor is a truck mechanic so he did those for me...I'm not equipped to remove the tires which was necessary for the installation. I now can drive down the road at the proper height and the leveler seems to work great too!!!
Thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread! This project could have progressed faster but I am very slow to spend money replacing parts until I have fully determined that they are faulty. I have learned a lot as well which is part of the satisfaction of "DIY"
I continue to be concerned by the fact that the motorhome rests with the rear tires against the body before the bump-stops have touched. The tires protrude beyond the outside skin of the body The fiberglass Wheel opening mouldings cover the tires but the metal body (inside the flares) has rubbed a groove approximately 1/4 " in from the outside edge of the tread. It has 11.00-24.5 tires on it. I'm wondering if the tires are oversize or if there was a mistake at the Newell factory when they installed the bump stops???
Old 08-16-2008, 02:18 AM   #29
fulltiming

If HWH replaced the circuit board, there must have been a problem with the controller itself. Did you try it with just the new circuit board and touch pad before replacing the manifold, ride height valves and solenoids? Any of those four components could have caused the problem. It should certainly fix the problem with all of those components repaired/replaced.

As far as the tires resting against the body, all the early '90's model Newells I have seen all sit on the fiberglass wheel openings when the suspension is dumped. I am surprised that your fiberglass wheel flairs clear the tires as they certainly didn't before 1993. The 11R24.5 tires are the original tire size. Have you set the ride height to 12" from the ground to the bottom of the square tube that runs just inside the lower panels just in front of the rear tires and just behind the front tires? If the ride height is set properly and the coach is allowed to pump up the suspension in Travel mode before it is moved, you should not be seeing the tires damaged by the body. My coach has over 146,000 miles on it and I have only the third set of rear tires it has ever had. I never saw the first set of tires but the second set had been on the coach for over 12 years and 60,000 miles when I bought it and they had no signs of the body scraping them. I IMMEDIATELY replaced those tires due to severe cracking on the sidewalls and in the threads. The replacements I had installed (the third set of tires) have been on the coach for 2-1/2 years and have about 18,000 miles, again with no sign of the body contacting the tires.

If the ride height were REALLY low OR if the coach were moved prior to the suspension being raised bad things can happen to the tires.
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
8V92 DDEC-2, HT740
Old 08-16-2008, 03:31 PM   #30
encantotom

i have no grooves in my tires, but man on man are they a tight fit in the wheelwell. my wife keeps saying she doesn't know how they dont rub. but they don't.
when the suspension is lowered, they come right down on the outside of the tires and almost rub, but more like rests...