Anyone know the child seat laws for children riding in the coach? - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-28-2012, 08:36 PM   #1
Charlotte Rosita

Default Anyone know the child seat laws for children riding in the coach?

I have 3 grandkids one is in a rear facing convertible child seat, one in a front facing seat and one in a booster seat. I don't have any seat belts at the dinette, or on the couch.

What do I do??

My husband said they don't need their car seats, but I don't feel comfortable with that. If anyone knows where I can find the laws on this I would appreciate it. I just want to know I am following the correct laws when they travel with us in our Newell.

Charlotte Rosita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 08:43 PM   #2
Cheri Smith

I understand your concern, you want to follow the laws and keep your grand kids safe. Take a look at this link for more information and help regarding your concerns. State Child Passenger Safety Laws You should find the answer you're looking for there. Have fun traveling!

1979 Newell Classic
Cheri Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 08:54 PM   #3
speedingsport

Safety belt use laws

Hope this helps.
speedingsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 09:55 PM   #4
RussWhite

I didn't know my couch had seatbelts until I did a really deep cleaning :-) Might be worth a look.
RussWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 10:56 PM   #5
zcasa

We researched sitting on the couch, with seat belts, for adults and children while traveling in the Coach. To our dismay, we found out that sitting sideways puts anyone at great risk. Fatalities have occurred in 30 mph crashes. We decided against allowing anyone to travel with us, unless they were in approved forward facing seats, while strapped to an approved seat belt. Obviously a personal decision based upon facts.

David
zcasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 11:33 PM   #6
prairieschooner

I suggest that you contact Newell and give them your coach information. This may be your best bet.
1982 Newell 38' (built before #1) 6V92 DD, 5 Speed Allison, 12.5 KW Kohler, Couch used to make into a Bed but I fixed it!
https://newellshowcase.com/thumbnails.php?album=214
2007 Yukon, 1981 CJ7 Laredo, 2002 Honda CRV, 1955 Thunderbird, 1952 Pontiac Sedan Delivery, 1952 Ford 8N, 1958 Airstream, 1959 Glasspar 16' Avalon, Cabin in the Woods........what will I work on next
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
prairieschooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 12:44 AM   #7
GringoPhil

My assumption is all states have the same seat belt laws. At a high level, they are not required. However, if the child is young enough to require a car seat then the belt is required to securely fasten the car seat.
Old 09-29-2012, 01:06 AM   #8
Neweller

I have done some research on this since I have a couple younger grand kids. First off the seat belt law in most states require both driver and front seat passengers to

wear a seat belt in an RV just like in a passenger car as long the vehicle is in motion. Some states including California require all passengers wherever they may be sitting

to be wearing a seat belt. All 50 states require children and infants to be buckled in any type of moving vehicle.

These laws are probably broken more than any other law regarding transport of persons.
If you want to sell, PM or Private Message me. Thanks!

"I know I’m not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Neweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 11:19 PM   #9
Nara Queen

Children in the RV - RVSafely.com

Nara Queen is offline   Reply With Quote