Furnace odor how can I eliminate it? - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-12-2012, 04:55 PM   #1
GypsyCliff

Default Furnace odor how can I eliminate it?

I have an odor coming from the vents that are connected to the LP furnace. My wife describes it as smelling like urine? Anyone had this problem and how can I eliminate it?

Cliff

1976 Newell Coach W/Cummins Engine
GypsyCliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:14 PM   #2
prairieschooner

What kind do you have?
Have you done any maintenance? The manual recommends cleaning and inspecting the burner.
I pulled ours before using them, did an inspection and then made all repairs. I found a Hornets nest in 2 of them and dust etc. in all of them. My Burners were dirty so I cleaned them with a brass brush and then made sure that the Flame was Blue.

1982 Newell 38' (built before #1) 6V92 DD, 5 Speed Allison, 12.5 KW Kohler, Couch used to make into a Bed but I fixed it!
https://newellshowcase.com/thumbnails.php?album=214
2007 Yukon, 1981 CJ7 Laredo, 2002 Honda CRV, 1955 Thunderbird, 1952 Pontiac Sedan Delivery, 1952 Ford 8N, 1958 Airstream, 1959 Glasspar 16' Avalon, Cabin in the Woods........what will I work on next
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
prairieschooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:16 PM   #3
Newellin Thunder

Steve makes a great point concerning maintenance. At a guess there may be or have been mice nesting in a duct somewhere. They leave their waste around wherever they are. Or near the furnace air intake. Open the grill and check around there first.

2005 Newell Thunder
Shakin the open road!
Newellin Thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 10:27 PM   #4
NewellCrazy

If it is a nest of some sort and is difficult to reach, try using a shop-vac to suck it out. Take the grille or vent covers off first and push the hose in as far as you can, or need to, and suck away. Afterwards spray in some 'Febreze' or Pet odor cleaner, available from most any hardware or grocery store. Make sure the 'spray' is non-flammable.

If Ain't a Newell, It Ain't Wurt Oonin!
NewellCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 11:28 PM   #5
prairieschooner

Respectfully disagree, if you have Suburban LPG Heaters a shop vac will not work, our older coaches are very different from the newer ones. Do not try to remove the exterior fitting, this would most likely give you an issue since these parts may not be available. Be very careful about how you get the heater out as well, I think that I had to take the one under the couch apart in order to repair it. I think that the others (under the Refer and in the bedroom closet) came out as an assembly.
You will need to remove the heater to gain access to the fan area if there is anything in there. On mine the wasp nest was inside the fan blades and the only real way to clean it was to disassemble and remove the nest. If you don't get all of the junk out, you may burn up the motor and that will cost you between $50.00 to $100.00 in parts alone. The Fan only circulates air from the outside across the heat box and then through the coach.
Hopefully you can do the work yourself, if not I think that I had about 1 1/2 hours to get the first one out and the others came out in around 1/2 hour. The first one back in took about 1 hour and the others about 1/2 hour each. I was able to find parts but they had to be ordered. Be very careful because some of the parts are not available (sheet metal and burners for sure).
I installed screens over the exterior to inhibit this in the future.
1982 Newell 38' (built before #1) 6V92 DD, 5 Speed Allison, 12.5 KW Kohler, Couch used to make into a Bed but I fixed it!
https://newellshowcase.com/thumbnails.php?album=214
2007 Yukon, 1981 CJ7 Laredo, 2002 Honda CRV, 1955 Thunderbird, 1952 Pontiac Sedan Delivery, 1952 Ford 8N, 1958 Airstream, 1959 Glasspar 16' Avalon, Cabin in the Woods........what will I work on next
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
prairieschooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 05:21 PM   #6
GypsyCliff

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairieschooner View Post
What kind do you have?
Have you done any maintenance? The manual recommends cleaning and inspecting the burner.
I pulled ours before using them, did an inspection and then made all repairs. I found a Hornets nest in 2 of them and dust etc. in all of them. My Burners were dirty so I cleaned them with a brass brush and then made sure that the Flame was Blue.
It's a suburban furnace and no I have not performed any maintenance although it's on my to do list.

1976 Newell Coach W/Cummins Engine
GypsyCliff is offline   Reply With Quote