neon strip lighting on switch panels - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-18-2012, 04:43 AM   #1
encantotom

Default neon strip lighting on switch panels

i all,

like many of you, i have switch panels that are the black plastic that have been engraved with labels. on the back there is a neon strip light that is elctroluminescence.

give the labels a nice blue green glow at night. my panel to the left of the drivers seat, the one over the microwave, the entry master panel on the stairway and the main panel in the bedroom have these strips.

3 of my 4 were making high frequency squeeling noises that were driving me nuts (although darlene wonders if i am already).

steve bare said he and russ had repaired theirs and gave me the source for them. a limo parts company near where he lived was a distributor for Californeon, the brand for them.

the company is evidently not going to stock the parts anymore. these luminescent strips take 280V AC and 650hz. so they use a special 12v inverter. it was the inverters that were squeeling. so i ordered one of the inverters and one 5' strip of the light. the inverter i got was bad so i had them ship me 3 more. they fixed the problem. so, no squeeling.

the location of the inverter was behind the panels on all except for the one for the drivers seat left panel and that one is directly under the panel mounted to the sidewall.

the one in the bedroom is on a dimmer switch and the lighting control for all the 12v lights in mine are a SCOTT Electronics unit. one for each circuit. the dimmer switch for the bedroom strip light was broken so i called mr scott to find out what pot it was. good thing i dd as it is a tapered pot and not a linear pot like you could get at radioshack.

i replaced it as well.

making progress.

tom

https://www.newellclassic.com/forum/album.php?albumid=8
encantotom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 12:08 PM   #2
fulltiming

Great progress on the near total makeover of your 2002 Tom.

1992 Newell 43.5' #281
8V92 DDEC-2, HT740
PT Cruiser GT with Remco Transmission Pump
https://newellowner.com/newell-photos/
fulltiming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 05:56 PM   #3
rheavn

I just got off the phone with Californeon who manufactures the flat light strips for our coaches. I'm not sure when Newell started installing the blue signage lighting and when they stopped, so I'm not sure what years this system was used in Newells. Californeon verified that our system is obsolete. He did say that they would continue to make the inverters for the system on a special order basis. He stated send an email request through their web site and they would let you know the cost. The inverters are the weak link and every one who had a light out has fixed them by replacing the inverters.

http://www.californeon.com/ and use the "request a quote" button at top

Hope this helps.................
Old 04-18-2012, 06:02 PM   #4
encantotom

that makes sense. when i measured the AC voltage on the inverter myself i got 400v ac. not the 280v that they said on their site, but that was for the newer version.

thanks steve

tom

https://www.newellclassic.com/forum/album.php?albumid=8
encantotom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 08:44 PM   #5
rheavn

For those of you who in the future may have to go looking for the inverter or blue light power supply a picture is worth a thousand words.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IM005247.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	92.9 KB
ID:	2156   Click image for larger version

Name:	IM005248.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	95.5 KB
ID:	2157