Aircraft Style Night Lighting bulb replacement - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-17-2011, 01:45 AM   #1
W. Mark Hellinger

Default Aircraft Style Night Lighting bulb replacement

My coach (#426) is equipped with "Aircraft Style Night Panel Lighting"... which I suspect are the little black lighting fixtures (about the size of a bite size Tootsie Rool) which are located on various panels throughout the coach. Most of these lights do not function on my coach... I'm wondering if anyone has a recommendation for replacements?

W. Mark Hellinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 01:54 AM   #2
folivier

Are these the ones? http://aircraftspruce.com/catalog/elpages/postlites.php

1998 Newell 45' 2 slide #486
2004 Chevy Silverado Z71
2013 RZR 570LE

"You don't have a soul. You are a soul, you have a body." C.S.Lewis

https://www.luxurycoachlifestyle.com/...php?albumid=14
folivier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 02:01 AM   #3
W. Mark Hellinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by folivier View Post

Yes... thank you!

I think I'll dissect one of mine and see if I can figure out how to change the bulbs.
Old 03-17-2011, 03:08 AM   #4
folivier

Do a search here on dash lighting. I think someone has found bulbs for these, kinda remember them being called "grain of wheat" or something.
1998 Newell 45' 2 slide #486
2004 Chevy Silverado Z71
2013 RZR 570LE

"You don't have a soul. You are a soul, you have a body." C.S.Lewis

https://www.luxurycoachlifestyle.com/...php?albumid=14
folivier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 03:53 AM   #5
W. Mark Hellinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by folivier View Post
Do a search here on dash lighting. I think someone has found bulbs for these, kinda remember them being called "grain of wheat" or something.
I dissected one of the Whelen post light fixtures. It appears they are designed so the top (hood) can be removed (carefully pried off), and the bulb replaced... as per this exploded drawing:

http://store.wagaero.com/product_inf...oducts_id=1372

The marking on the bulb in the fixture I dissected is a GE 330, seemingly just like this:

http://www.atlantalightbulbs.com/eca...0UNIT28567.htm

I'm going to look around and see if I can source some LED replacement bulbs, which should last way longer than the incandescent originals.
Old 09-22-2011, 02:32 AM   #6
Hardtrigger

Default Ge 330

Mr. Hellinger if you find LED replacements for those 330's will you post them for I would like to swap mine out for LED's also. Thanx
Hardtrigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 01:12 PM   #7
Flydrifter

Found a source for replacing the GE 330 Bulbs with LEDs, Planning to replace them ASAP, the 330's get fairly warm and have to have a short lifespan. $6 apiece, anyone found any cheaper?

http://industrialleds.com/index.php?...FVGCtgodPW6xcQ

Thanks
Ray Penick
1996 Newell, #420
Tulsa, OK
Flydrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 03:49 PM   #8
encantotom

for fun look at these bulbs.

http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-b...get_groove.htm

they are essentially the same diameter and length. they do not have the same flange on.

but they are only $1.29 in cool white.

you might go buy a regular ge336 or ge 386 that these are exact replacements for and see if they fit.

i have seen that some guys have used them in gauges ok where a ge330 was. but you will have to determine if the flange is needed or not.

i have also discovered that in my quest for the perfect cheap led light that i spend wayy too much time and with the money i spend experimenting sometimes i could have bought the more expensive one with. so you have to decide if you like the quest of searching or just want them that you know will work. i dig the quest part so spend alot of time doing the searching and experimenting.

i have ordered now about ten different led lamps for the newell to experiment with in different places. different number of LED's., different brightness, different physical sizes, colors etc.

darlene and i ONLY like the cool white (about 6000k color temp). the warm light is too yellow for us.

in fact this morning i was playing with G4 led's that i got yesterday from china (takes weeks to get them, but they are cheaper by far) to replace the 10 and 20w halogen g4 bulbs that are EVERYWHERE in the ceiling of my 02.

as i have posted elsewhere i replaced essentially ALL my interior lights in my 90 with LED's. awesome lighting.

have fun searching,

tom

https://www.newellclassic.com/forum/album.php?albumid=8
encantotom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 10:26 PM   #9
Chester B. Stone, Jr.

In my 2001, it seems to me that all of the dash lights as well as the lights behind the lighted words throughout the coach are too dim. I have a small flashlight stationed at each location. Which LED bulb would your recommend for the applications?
Chester B. Stone, Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 02:36 PM   #10
W. Mark Hellinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by encantotom View Post
darlene and i ONLY like the cool white (about 6000k color temp). the warm light is too yellow for us.
Thank you for the information.

My recent experience with converting to LED lighting in my shop, warehouse, and house... I agree the "warm" LED bulb colors are generally too yellow. My choice has generally been a "natural white" color.

I've converted my house 100% over to LED lighting... and admittedly my house is small... but with the previous incadescent lighting, my total household lighting power draw was approx. 1,100 watts... now with the LED conversion my total household lighting power draw is right at 100 watts and the lighting is as good or arguably better than it was with the incadescent bulbs. And... probably due to the power fluxuations we have here, with the incadescent lighting, on-average I was changing out approx. 1 blown bulb a week. I've had the LED lighting now for a couple of months, and (knock on wood)... I haven't had a blown bulb yet.