Diesel TuneUP? - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-14-2008, 05:30 PM   #1
NewellTruckin

Default Diesel TuneUP?

If a Newell has been been sitting around for the past, say few, years what should one be looking for and/or $$$$

Robert

Looking to buy a Newell and do some Newell Truckin!

NewellTruckin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 06:55 PM   #2
fulltiming

Depending on where and how it was stored, the answer could be a little or a lot. Coaches love to run not to sit for years.

In particular, I would look at the following:
1) age of tires, they will deteriorate at a faster rate if that aren't moved since the chemicals in the tires to resist ozone get depleted around the outside of the tire and the lack of movement prevents the chemicals from getting redistributed.
2) check the SCA's in the coolant, they will deteriorate with time and can increase the potential for rust in the block and cooling system.
3) check the oil, see if there is rust or water in the oil,
4) check the fuel, it likely has a lot of water and algal growth in it if the tank was only partially full during storage. The fuel will also deteriorate over a period of years. If you are buying it, I would have a service pump the fuel out of the tank and refuel it.
5) smell the transmission fluid to see if it smells burned.
6) change all the filters, and fluids (oil, transmission, coolant, fuel)
7) check the rubber seals around the door, windshield, etc if it has been stored outside.
8) after #6, have it dynoed to see that it is dumping out a reasonable amount of power under load.

Check to see if service records are available for the coach to see if it was maintained properly before the storage.

I would not even start it without draining the gunk off the bottom of the fuel tanks (there are likely drain petcock(s) on each tank), draining the water separator, and preferably draining the fuel and refueling.

I am certain that Richard or Tom or others will have additional comments but the list above could be $2,000+ for just doing #6 to a complete engine overhaul/rebuilt and radiator rodding if rust has set in which would be $10-20,000.

When I was in El Paso having some engine work done, the 8V92 mechanic said they had a motorhome in about a year earlier that had been left sitting for years outside and the engine wouldn't start, they pulled the heads and found significant rust in the cylinders in addition to bad fuel that had significant asphaltene conglomeration, polymerization, microbial growth and bio-film.

1992 Newell 43.5' #281
8V92 DDEC-2, HT740
PT Cruiser GT with Remco Transmission Pump
https://newellowner.com/newell-photos/
fulltiming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 07:37 PM   #3
The Newell

Diesels are the lesser tolerant of "sitting forever", a good portion of which is the contaminants in the crankcase due to the sulfur (no matter how slight) in the fuel, compared to gaso engines.

Contaminents end up in the crankcase oil, so the first query is: How long has it sat? The second is: What motor oil is in there, and how many miles since oil change? If the oil was changed with a quality product (Shell Rotella T or Mobil Delvac 1300 Super or Delvac 1, within 250 miles from being parked, the oil probably has withstood the abuse.

Frankly, regardless of the product used, if the engine has sat idle for a year or more, I'd consider the engine to be toast. It may not be, but in negotiations, I'd figure replacement a factor.

Transmission seals are gong to be suspect. Wheel bearings (front) will need evaluation, and at the least, repacking. Brake seals are also dodgy; plan on overhauls.

Then, somewhat off-topic, are the house appliances - how many of them have been neglected (if the coach sat, they won't have been used, or problems won't have been detected).

If it were I, a coach like this would realistically command $20K in catching up on deferred maintenance and repair, and I'd factor that into the price.

Joseph

Home Base: Riverside, CA

If anyone needs my contact info private message me and I will send it to you.

-Joseph-
The Newell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 03:58 PM   #4
Bryon Raymond

Default newell search

NewellTruckin, e-mail me at pjray@dishmail.net or better yet call me at 417-924-2226
Thanks.....Bryon
89 Newell 40 #195
8V92TA ddec II, HT740
04 HD Sportster 1200
04 Hyundai Santa Fe dingy
Bryon Raymond is offline   Reply With Quote