Jake brake improvement - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-14-2010, 11:05 AM   #1
rheavn

Default Jake brake improvement

My biggest disappointment in my new to me coach was how the Jake Brake worked. My last coach had a PacBrake and I felt it held me back better. My last coach had the PacBrake programmed for 4th gear. I live in the hills around Branson & most of the roads you're driving under 50 mph. My Jake Brake was progammed for 5th gear. I had my Jake Brake reprogrammed to 4th gear & what an improvement. I now love my Jake Brake!

Old 06-14-2010, 04:41 AM   #2
johned

the Jake brake should only be forced to disengage when the engine goes into first and the converter goes out of lockup. Maybe yours is working properly but I would want the old setup where ifc I were picking my way down in 1 st or 2nd I could use the jake. There is a mod to the 740 that allows you to force the trans to stay locked up below 20mph and that lets you use the jake picking your way down switch backs on 9 degree stuff you should never have tried......Except with a jake that works at 10mph.

Can you switch your jake on for 2 or 4 or 6 or 8 cylinder operation? Food for thought?

johned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 10:52 AM   #3
rheavn

Sounds like you may have a much different transmission. On the Allison 6 speeds the Jake will engage in any gear you are in and immediately shift down to exert back force. When I first got the coach, when the jake engaged it shifted to 5th gear-that is just 300 rpms & at 35-45 mph that doesn't give you much hold back. At 70 mph it would work fine until a big hill. Since I run for hours in very hilly conditions I needed it to shift to 4th gear to provide enough hold back to maintain my speed. Before I was using my service brakes constantly. Now I seldom use them except to stop. When I descend a very steep hill I choose a gear & the jake will work in that gear. I do have a hi/low setting, but even in the high setting 5th gear was not holding me back. The change was that when it engages, if your speed allows, the trans shifts to 4th gear instead of only to 5th gear and that provides enough hold back force for 99% of the time. The change I made did not take away my ability to pick any gear I want if I wish. I had this setup in my last coach & felt it worked much better. For hilly or mountainous driving this set up is definitely better. Newell's comment was we do it all the time for people who drive in hilly & mountainous areas. I don't suggest it for everyone, but definitely something to consider if you are driving in areas like I do.

Works for me...............