Correct amount of oil 8V92? - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-13-2009, 09:59 PM   #1
folivier

Default Correct amount of oil 8V92?

Just want this for future reference. What is the correct amount of oil for our 8V92?
Also I remember reading on another site about incorrect dipsticks? Or maybe it was a different engine?
Anyway, the total length of my dipstick is 27 3/4" to the top of the "boat plug" where it seats, The low mark is 9/16" from the bottom, full mark is 1 13/16" up from the bottom.
Is this the same as everybody elses?
(One thing I did was file a small notch at the full mark to make it easier to see the level.)
Thanks again for more help!

1998 Newell 45' 2 slide #486
2004 Chevy Silverado Z71
2013 RZR 570LE

"You don't have a soul. You are a soul, you have a body." C.S.Lewis

https://www.luxurycoachlifestyle.com/...php?albumid=14
folivier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 10:11 PM   #2
Wally Arntzen

I have a low mark an add mark and a full mark. There is a one gallon difference from the add mark and the full mark. When I first got my coach several years ago I always kept it at the full mark and it would use a gallon of oil in a one thousand mile trip and dirty up my radiator. When I was at Newell about three years ago I spoke with a couple of the mechanics and they told me to leave it at the add mark and it will not dirty up the radiator and I would use much less oil.
I now add a gallon of oil about every 2500 miles and my radiator does not get full of oil. When I kept it full I was not burning the oil, it was throwing it out, hence the dirty radiator and driping on floor of my barn.

1988 Newell Coach #163
40' with tag 8V92
Wally Arntzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 10:19 PM   #3
folivier

I think it was the Wanderlodge forum, a few of the guys with 8V92's have extended the slobber tubes so that it's behind the radiator. Has anybody done that? I don't mind the dripping as much as the dirty radiator.
1998 Newell 45' 2 slide #486
2004 Chevy Silverado Z71
2013 RZR 570LE

"You don't have a soul. You are a soul, you have a body." C.S.Lewis

https://www.luxurycoachlifestyle.com/...php?albumid=14
folivier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 11:02 PM   #4
chockwald

My 6V92 takes about 22 quarts. Not sure about 8V's.
2002 Thunderbird Retro
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Cannondale F600
2 Terra Trike Tadpoles
Intense 5.5 mountain bike
ALBUM: https://newellshowcase.com/thumbnails.php?album=213
chockwald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 12:27 AM   #5
GORDON HUMMEL

I just serviced mine & it took 8 gallons to the full mark. Used 2.5 gal this summer in 12,500 miles, Delo 100 40wt. engine & rad are dry
Many of these 2 strokes have a small tank to catch the oil from the slobber. Detroit & others make a kit for it, my bus has one.
1991 41.5' #266
8v92
2009 Pontiac Vibe GT Toad
Fulltime on the road
GORDON HUMMEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 12:38 AM   #6
prairieschooner

I second what Wally said (and what Newell recommends). I have found that the Detriots will "burp" oil if run at full (at least in boats). They always seem to "burp" the oil down about a gallon and then stop using so much oil.
I run the Prairie Schooner at the add mark. After the 3,200 miles this year going to and from Creede, we used about 1/2 gallon.
I would have to look at my records for the quantities but it seems like 7 or 8 gallons, our little V-6 would most likely hold less oil anyway.
1982 Newell 38' (built before #1) 6V92 DD, 5 Speed Allison, 12.5 KW Kohler, Couch used to make into a Bed but I fixed it!
https://newellshowcase.com/thumbnails.php?album=214
2007 Yukon, 1981 CJ7 Laredo, 2002 Honda CRV, 1955 Thunderbird, 1952 Pontiac Sedan Delivery, 1952 Ford 8N, 1958 Airstream, 1959 Glasspar 16' Avalon, Cabin in the Woods........what will I work on next
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
prairieschooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 12:40 AM   #7
prairieschooner

Gordon, could you post a picture of the slobber bucket?
1982 Newell 38' (built before #1) 6V92 DD, 5 Speed Allison, 12.5 KW Kohler, Couch used to make into a Bed but I fixed it!
https://newellshowcase.com/thumbnails.php?album=214
2007 Yukon, 1981 CJ7 Laredo, 2002 Honda CRV, 1955 Thunderbird, 1952 Pontiac Sedan Delivery, 1952 Ford 8N, 1958 Airstream, 1959 Glasspar 16' Avalon, Cabin in the Woods........what will I work on next
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
prairieschooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 11:21 AM   #8
zcasa

Forrest:

I had my 8V92 serviced this summer. I purchased the Delo 100 oil and took it to the bus shop. I purchased 12 gallons, cause they only sell it by the six gallon box. The mechanic was very careful about adding the oil for the reasons stated above. He got to 9 gallons and said it is full. I thought that wasn't enough but he was adamant. He put the other two gallons into the reserve tank to have it full. So, I have one gallon in the storage compartment. Mine uses the exact amount of oil as Steve's and Michael mentioned to me that he runs his about two quarts down. So, I try and keep mine on the two quarts down side of things and add as it gets lower than that from my reserve tank. So far on this 3,000 mile trip I have added two quarts and it is showing about 1 3/4 quarts down right now. I have no oil blowing out into the radiator that I can tell. The oil wasn't so cheap, but according to the experts on this blog, it is THE right oil to use. Later today I can measure the dip stick but yes, mine has a manual scratch beyond the full mark that indicates when mine is really full. My mechanic told me that not all pans are alike and to be careful with the standard lingo of this is how much mine holds because yours might be different. Michael has had a terrible experience with a mechanic that added to much oil on his one time. So, not even the oil changing dudes know for sure. You are doing the right thing to find out and to know for sure.

David
zcasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 01:28 PM   #9
GORDON HUMMEL

Steve
Next time I'm @ the bus I'll get a picture. It is nothing more than a small VENTED tank that the air box drain tubes are connected. A lot of bus people just use a capped 4" PVC pipe as storage. Causes of excess leakage was due to bad blower seals & or piston rings and especially excess idling ie busses.
This problem is mainly in the GREEN series, not somuch in the later SILVER series.
Walker AirSep makes a kit for it & other diesels.
1991 41.5' #266
8v92
2009 Pontiac Vibe GT Toad
Fulltime on the road
GORDON HUMMEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 01:43 PM   #10
chockwald

I've got that small vented tank that my air box drain tubes go to....that must be why I never see any oil on the ground. I recently drained that tank....looks like a large coffee can with a pet cock valve on the bottom.
2002 Thunderbird Retro
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Cannondale F600
2 Terra Trike Tadpoles
Intense 5.5 mountain bike
ALBUM: https://newellshowcase.com/thumbnails.php?album=213
chockwald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 05:13 PM   #11
encantotom

Clarke described it right. it looks like an small air tank the size of a long coffee can with a pitcock on the bottom to drain it off. mine is on the drivers side between the engine and the differential. it holds probably a gallon of oil.

it is where i discovered i had a cracked head when i drained it and got antifreeze instead of dirty oil. i have a post talking about that.

into the top of the cannister, the lines from each side of the engine go to deposit the slobber oil.

tom

https://www.newellclassic.com/forum/album.php?albumid=8
encantotom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 03:51 AM   #12
NewellCrazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairieschooner View Post
Gordon, could you post a picture of the slobber bucket?
I second that, Gordon a picture would be awesome!!

If Ain't a Newell, It Ain't Wurt Oonin!
NewellCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote