Wire nuts & alternatives - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-14-2012, 10:42 AM   #1
rheavn

Default Wire nuts & alternatives

Ever since I had a wire nut failure on the 110V wire connection on my invertor, I have been interested in alternatives. I read Praireschooner's post on boats & yachts where they don't use wire nuts. I was just wondering if any one has used the push in type connectors? Any other alternatives?

http://www.hammerandhands.com/index....onnectors.html

Old 02-14-2012, 02:33 PM   #2
prairieschooner

With this thread started here, I wanted to re-post these ABYC (American Boat and Yacht Council) Recommended Standards. Check E-11.6.3.6that specifically deals with Wire Nuts.
These are some of the Electrical Wiring Standards that pertain to Electrical Connectors (if you want more I can check and post those).

E-11.16.3.5
Connections may be made using a setscrew pressure type conductor connector, providing a means is used to prevent the set-screw from bearing directly on the conductor strands.

E-11.16.3.6
Twist on connectors, i.e., wire nuts, shall not be used.

E-11.16.3.7
Solder shall not be the sole means of mechanical connection in any circuit. If soldered, the connection shall be so located or supported as to minimize flexing of the conductor where the solder changes the flexible conductor into a solid conductor.
EXCEPTION: Battery lugs with a solder contact length of not less than 1.5 times the diameter of the conductor.
NOTE: When a stranded conductor is soldered, the soldered portion of the conductor becomes a solid strand conductor, and flexing can cause the conductor to break at the end of the solder joint unless adequate additional support is provided.

E-11.16.3.8 Solderless crimp on connectors shall be attached with the type of crimping tools designed for the connector used, and that will produce a connection meeting the requirements of E-11.16.3.3.

But basically a Crimp-On type terminal is what is accepted on boats. The "push-on" type connection would not be acceptable either.
You would need to know that Insulated Solid Copper Wire (Romex type) is not acceptable for current carrying applications as well because of the vibrations that the boat experiences. There are standards for any application and they are lengthy but here are a couple of those Standards;

Conductors shall be at least 16 AWG

Conductors and flexible cords shall be stranded copper

Please take all of this with a grain of salt because boats are much different from a Motorhome. I have replaced the Wire Nuts that I have found but I haven't undergone a complete re-wire to replace the Solid Core Wire.

I have used these Set Screw Wire Connectors on my Inverter Wiring;
http://www.idealindustries.com/produ..._connector.jsp
1982 Newell 38' (built before #1) 6V92 DD, 5 Speed Allison, 12.5 KW Kohler, Couch used to make into a Bed but I fixed it!
https://newellshowcase.com/thumbnails.php?album=214
2007 Yukon, 1981 CJ7 Laredo, 2002 Honda CRV, 1955 Thunderbird, 1952 Pontiac Sedan Delivery, 1952 Ford 8N, 1958 Airstream, 1959 Glasspar 16' Avalon, Cabin in the Woods........what will I work on next
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
prairieschooner is offline   Reply With Quote