Yard Light Upgrade - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-16-2012, 03:04 PM   #1
mnhoff

Default Yard Light Upgrade

1995-372. I now have 1142 bulbs in my yard lights. Has any one
upgraded to LED bulbs, if so can you help me with a number of bulb.
Any automotive store or RV outlet have not heard of a 1142. Sounds like
1141,1156 and 1157 are the norms. Thanks in advance. Mike & Nancy. Canada.

mnhoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 03:48 PM   #2
encantotom

hi mike

you can get 1142's at the auto parts store but usually they have to order them. it is the orientation of the tabs that is the difference. i got mine at autozone.

quite a few of us have played with different lights and if you do a search on the site you will find a few i think.

1. you can get led bulbs but they are going to be pricey and not anywhere near as bright. forest did this and is fine with the amount of light, but not bright enough for me. forest can tell you what bulb he got

2. gordon made his own led light for them by taking the led strip lights that a few of us have been buying and wrapping them around a dowell and wiring them in. very creative. i have not tried it yet.

do a google search for "1142 auto bulb" and you will get a bunch of hits on LED bulbs and regular ones. you need to make sure whatever led bulb you get fits in the enclosure. i have been ordering a few of each kind to experiment on my 02 in different areas. in fact, i just finished doing my sconce reading lights in the salon. if you are in a rush, pay whatever the vendors want. if you are in no rush, buy from a chinese supplier on ebay that takes a month to get here. they are a bunch cheaper. i have bought a lot that way.

getting bright led's in my 8 yard lights is on my list. i have 5 on the passenger side and 3 on the other side.

tom

https://www.newellclassic.com/forum/album.php?albumid=8
encantotom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 03:51 PM   #3
encantotom

here is the info on what the light fixture is.

1973-1986 GM pickup bed light

GM Part #5969836 Lens i bought new ones for my 90 on ebay for 9 bucks apiece. you just gotta look for them. i made the foam gasket out of window/door foam seal.

Housing, #5965873

you can buy led bulbs to go in them. so a couple of things to keep in mind.

1. will the bulb fit. the more led's it has the bigger it is.
2. the lens is often yellowed. it will take a way from the bulb brightness

i am not sure how long newell used them. alot of bus converters used these for quite a while. so not sure what year newell changed to something else.

https://www.newellclassic.com/forum/album.php?albumid=8
encantotom is offline   Reply With Quote