"Stupid" Generator Question - Page 2 - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-19-2009, 02:09 PM   #21
Wally Arntzen

Tuga, you can get it from a bad fill of fuel, but most of the coaches that get it as I have been told are the ones that get very little use. Its not any difference if its a yaht or a coach if you let sit for long periods the fungas can get started.
I dont know if you change your own filters or not but the cost of the filters is very inexpensive. The cost of the additive to get rid of the crud is about 4 times as the filters.

1988 Newell Coach #163
40' with tag 8V92
Wally Arntzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 06:45 PM   #22
tuga

Yes Wally I change my own filters. My coach is used about once a week on average; we use it alot. In the 4 years that I have owned it I have put 77,000 miles on it. That works out to about 19,250 miles per year. And that works out 2,567 gallons per year; that is a lot of fresh diesel. I hope I can continue using it that much. I love my Newell!

Coach #512
2005 Pilot
tuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 10:09 PM   #23
Wally Arntzen

Tuga, I've had this coach nearly 5 years and put over 120,000 miles on it. I really think It had the fungas when I bought it and my heavy use just kicked it up at a more rapid rate before I realized what was going on. There's no question in my mind that the previous owner new anything about it and I would not found out other than the fact that I have an extremely good deisel mechanic friend who has taught me a great deal about how to take care of the coach.
1988 Newell Coach #163
40' with tag 8V92
Old 11-20-2009, 10:28 AM   #24
fulltiming

The best ways to minimize the risk of fungus are:
1) Always buy fuel from a supplier that sells a LOT of fuel so it will be fresh,
2) Don't fill up when they are refilling their storage tanks because the sediment and water in the bottom of their tank will get mixed in with the fresh fuel,
3) Fill the fuel tanks before storing it to minimize the amount of moisture that can condense inside the tank,
4) Drain some fuel from the petcocks on the bottom of the tanks (assuming you have those) regularly and if you get much water out of them or any slimy looking 'stuff', consider having your fuel polished.

Polishing fuel is expensive but much easier than plugging up dozens of fuel filters. In most harbor/port areas you will find mobile fuel polishing services that will pump the fuel out of your tanks, run it through magnets to remove any metal shavings, run it through several filters, including extremely fine filters and dump the fuel back into the tank. I have had it done once at a cost of $400 in Newport Beach, CA. If I had know then what I know now, I would have purchased the equipment and done it myself (about the same price) and had the equipment to use in the future. It takes several hours to polish 300 gallons of fuel.
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
8V92 DDEC-2, HT740
PT Cruiser GT with Remco Transmission Pump
https://newellowner.com/newell-photos/
fulltiming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 02:16 PM   #25
Neweller

I've had good luck with ValvTect diesel guard winter fuel additive that greatly protects against winter diesel fuel problems. This anti-gel formula contains proprietary wax crystal modifiers, cold flow improvers and wax anti-settling properties. ValvTect’s diesel guard improves a diesel engine’s winter performance and operating reliability.

Polishing fuel is definitely a way to save your. I have done it a couple of times with great success following the same process Michael has stated above.

Ken
If you want to sell, PM or Private Message me. Thanks!

"I know I’m not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Neweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 02:38 PM   #26
encantotom

here is an interesting article on dirty diesel fuel and the need to polish it. it is for big boats, but most of it applies to us.

tom

http://www.trawlersandtrawlering.com.../captnwil.html

https://www.newellclassic.com/forum/album.php?albumid=8
encantotom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 01:06 PM   #27
Wally Arntzen

Tom, quite an interesting story on fuel contamination issues.
After going through two and a half years clearing up a fungas problem my thoughts are as follows.
After the problem was discovered by my friend and we began the process of cleaning the tank with additives and this mechanic friend is totally against putting additives in oil or fuel of deisel engines for enhancement of preformance, however, he said we can clean the tanks or replace them to correct the problem.
I have spoken to many friends who have yachts and large boats, numerous over the truckers and several bus company owners and all of them said that they never have any fungas problems with boats or vehicles with the exception of the ones that sit for long periods of time without use.
I know people who have large boats that may take them for short trips sometimes at two year intervals. The truck and bus people said that they have excess vehicles that sit for long periods because of a lack of buisness (like now with the downturn in the economy) and when they put them back in service after sitting for a year or more the come with the dreaded fungas problem.
Some have tried the fuel polishing solution, but most I talk to say that it is not necessarly the fuel that is the problem it is the fungas growing on the sides and bottom of the tank that is the issue.
The filters in our coaches, large boats and over the road trucks are more that adequeate to clean the fuel and allow the vehicles to preform well but if the tanks get poluted and damage the fuel it is the cause of the problems.
Hence, I beleive that cleaning the fuel and tank with the proper additives is the solution to the problem. After the lengthy period of cleaning that I did I am confident that my coach is now as close to fungs free that I can get it and I will continue to put the additive in as needed to keep it that way.
A lot of our members are purchasing coaches that have sat for long periods of time and I suspect that most of them are potential victims of this problem.
So I believe cleaning the tank and getting rid of the bad fuel is a better solution that polishing the fuel.

That is the fat guy's opinion and I'm sticking with it.
1988 Newell Coach #163
40' with tag 8V92
Old 11-21-2009, 03:00 PM   #28
encantotom

wally,

i actually have no opinion. i have not had it and i always keep my tanks topped off. i put 175 bucks worth in last weekend to just top it off.

i was doing a search on fuel polishing and found the article.

in fact, i am still thinking i am going to put in a davco fuel filter like you have because i think it is amazingly cool.

tom.....and i am fatter than you and taller, so there....

https://www.newellclassic.com/forum/album.php?albumid=8
encantotom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 03:02 PM   #29
prairieschooner

The reason that "Polishing" the Fuel works well on Yachts is that the Fuel Tanks have Access Plates. If these Access Plates were not installed when new then usually are put into the Fuel Tanks when "Polishing" is needed. The better Companies usually have numerous Empty Barrels to move the Contaminated Fuel into and the Filter the Fuel. The Fuel is used to Spray the Walls of the Tank and knock the Fungus off the Walls of the Tank. Most of the Fuel Tanks in Boats are Aluminum or Stainless Steel.
I don't have Access Plates on our '82 and the Tanks are Black Iron or Steel (maybe someone could clarify) and the Fungus should not stick to it like Aluminum. I like Wally chose to use the microbiocide additive because our '82 sat so long. I also purchased 12 Primary and 6 Secondary Fuel Filters. In the beginning I changed the Primary after a few hours and the Secondary every other time. My thoughts here are that since I don't have the Access Plates (they would be hard to use anyway) and the 6V92 Detroit Circulates so much Fuel we have our own "Polishing" System already. After 5,000 miles all is well, now that I have said something I will replace at least the Primary before we leave for Mexico on Monday. Since our Coach sat in the Desert and others may be in areas with High Humidity I cannot say that this approach is for everyone.
Here is a link to an additive;
http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/producte/10001/-1/10001/21560/377%20710/0/FUEL%20ADDITIVE/Primary%20Search/mode%20matchallpartial/0/0?N=377
1982 Newell 38' (built before #1) 6V92 DD, 5 Speed Allison, 12.5 KW Kohler, Couch used to make into a Bed but I fixed it!
https://newellshowcase.com/thumbnails.php?album=214
2007 Yukon, 1981 CJ7 Laredo, 2002 Honda CRV, 1955 Thunderbird, 1952 Pontiac Sedan Delivery, 1952 Ford 8N, 1958 Airstream, 1959 Glasspar 16' Avalon, Cabin in the Woods........what will I work on next
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
prairieschooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 03:04 PM   #30
tuga

Does anyone know where I can buy a fuel filter wrench for a Davco fuel filter?
Coach #512
2005 Pilot
tuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 05:33 PM   #31
Wally Arntzen

Tuga, if your near a detroit service center they probably have them.
1988 Newell Coach #163
40' with tag 8V92
Old 11-21-2009, 10:08 PM   #32
HoosierDaddy

I have used and sold this companys products since 1979. In business since 1911, they are known within manufacturing and agriculture industries as a top quality company.They have several fuel conditioners to meet different needs. Their web-site doesn't have a lot of information but I think a phone call or email would yield lots of good information.

http://www.cen-pe-co.com/

(This is not an offer to sell...They will probably sell and ship direct if they don't have a local rep in your area.)

Dean
1993 Newell 45'#316, 1976 Trans Am 455, 1967 GTO, 1953 Chevrolet 3105 (panel truck),1952 Chevrolet 3600,1969 Airstream Overlander. Always fixing something!
HoosierDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 03:12 AM   #33
Wally Arntzen

Steve, Bioguard is the same stuff that I used and West Marine is the one place that is readily avaible because of all of it that they sell to boat owners.
1988 Newell Coach #163
40' with tag 8V92
Old 11-22-2009, 03:27 AM   #34
prairieschooner

Wally,
My experience is with Yachts so that is the source that I go to. West Marine are the big boys on the block now since the acquired Boat US. Defender Industries is another great source but is Mail Order to most of us. Knowing that is what you used I am sure that your Fuel is OK.

1982 Newell 38' (built before #1) 6V92 DD, 5 Speed Allison, 12.5 KW Kohler, Couch used to make into a Bed but I fixed it!
https://newellshowcase.com/thumbnails.php?album=214
2007 Yukon, 1981 CJ7 Laredo, 2002 Honda CRV, 1955 Thunderbird, 1952 Pontiac Sedan Delivery, 1952 Ford 8N, 1958 Airstream, 1959 Glasspar 16' Avalon, Cabin in the Woods........what will I work on next
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
prairieschooner is offline   Reply With Quote