Heart Interface EMS 2800-12 Inverter quit! - Page 2 - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-26-2010, 09:17 PM   #21
RussWhite

Tuga,

As one of my friends on the forum likes to remind me - "All Newells are different!". On mine the positive cables do run direct to the inverter/charger, BUT the negative side is totally switched off by the coach battery switch. When it comes to shutting off power only one side disconnected is sufficient. Your mileage may vary.
Be very very careful if you decided to remove the battery cables. If I were going to do it that way I would remove the negative side. If you chose to remove the positive side be very carefully to be sure no tool you use can come into contact with chassis ground and that you control the cable completely once it is loose. Wrapping your tools in electrical tape could help if you turn too far. You will need to insulate the cable somehow. I saw the guys at Newell sticking the cable in a rubber glove and taping it up. And I suppose good advice is always if you don't feel completely confident about working with such high potential currents, get some help.
Let us know when the fuses arrive and how it goes. Russ

RussWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 11:25 PM   #22
tuga

Russ,

I wrap the cable end in an old wash cloth or other rag and put a rubberband around it - don't use any tape. The rag and rubberband is easier to remove than the tape.

I'll let you all know how it turns out when I receive the fuse.

Coach #512
2005 Pilot
tuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 02:18 AM   #23
prairieschooner

Tuga,
I would rather see the Battery Switch Disconnect the Batteries from ALL Systems. Actually on a boat it is an ABYC Recommended Standard in Yachts, although does allow an exception for Charging Equipment. This way you can disconnect the Batteries from the System. I realize that the Fuse should interrupt the System but I have made that change on our '82 and feel better knowing that I can Disconnect the Batteries.

Item #2;
11.6.1.2 Battery Switch

A battery switch shall be installed in the positive conductor(s) from each battery or battery bank with a CCA rating greater than 800 amperes.
EXCEPTION:
Trolling motor conductors connected to dedicated trolling motor batteries provided with overcurrent protection at the battery and a manual means of electrical disconnect separate from the trolling motor controls.
NOTE: Conductors supplying the following may be connected to the battery side of the switch (See FIGURE 11 ):
a. Electronic equipment with continuously powered memory;
b. Safety equipment such as bilge pumps, alarms, CO detectors and bilge blowers; c. Battery charging equipment.
1982 Newell 38' (built before #1) 6V92 DD, 5 Speed Allison, 12.5 KW Kohler, Couch used to make into a Bed but I fixed it!
https://newellshowcase.com/thumbnails.php?album=214
2007 Yukon, 1981 CJ7 Laredo, 2002 Honda CRV, 1955 Thunderbird, 1952 Pontiac Sedan Delivery, 1952 Ford 8N, 1958 Airstream, 1959 Glasspar 16' Avalon, Cabin in the Woods........what will I work on next
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
prairieschooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 05:35 PM   #24
tuga

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuga View Post
Russ,

I wrap the cable end in an old wash cloth or other rag and put a rubberband around it - don't use any tape. The rag and rubberband is easier to remove than the tape.

I'll let you all know how it turns out when I receive the fuse.
Sorry it has taken me so long to respond; I put the new 300 amp fuse in and it worked great! Looks like my problem was just an old worn-down fuse. I now have an extra spare fuse in inventory.

Thanks for all of the posts!
Coach #512
2005 Pilot
tuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 08:34 PM   #25
NewellCrazy

I've noticed that most don't share pictures so I have decided to share photos I have taken when ever I get a chance so here you go.

As you can see there are 2 Outback Inverters Installed.

Newell Coach inverter setup:

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03321.JPG
Views:	110
Size:	3.83 MB
ID:	3285

If Ain't a Newell, It Ain't Wurt Oonin!
NewellCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote