'83 Newell - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-12-2010, 11:37 PM   #1
bluesky

Default '83 Newell

Hello Everyone From Beautiful BC, Canada

My wife and I just jumped off the fence and have an accepted offer on a 1983 Newell Motorcoach. I spent a few years researching the BB Wanderlodge, then a few weeks ago I saw my first Newell coach in Kelowna, BC. and the rest is history. I found this coach on your newellclassifieds page. It's owned by a member named "shoebox".

The coach is in Holland MI, so it's quite a complex task to complete the purchase transaction. If any one out there has some useful tips re importation to Canada, taxes in the state of MI, pre-purchase inspection, driving across the country in a 40' coach in November ... we would be grateful.

Cheers

bluesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 01:41 AM   #2
HoosierDaddy

Congrats Bluesky! Let me know if you need anything....You have my number
Dean

1993 Newell 45'#316, 1976 Trans Am 455, 1967 GTO, 1953 Chevrolet 3105 (panel truck),1952 Chevrolet 3600,1969 Airstream Overlander. Always fixing something!
HoosierDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 06:13 AM   #3
Bill & Sonja

You've got an adventure ahead Glenn. I'm sure you're up to speed on this stuff but just in case this link may be helpful
http://www.riv.ca/importingavehicle.aspx
Looking forward to travel updates and pictures of the new coach. Safe travel.
Bill & Sonja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 09:12 PM   #4
bluesky

Folks

Just had a thought, is there a special designated license required to drive this coach? I have a Class A Winnebago (gas) that doesn't require anything special.

My plan is to fly to MI early in the week and, assuming the pre-purchase mechanical inspection is good, drive home.
Old 11-14-2010, 10:14 PM   #5
tuga

Bluesky,

Congratulations on your new purchase. No, there is no special license required to drive your Newell in the U.S.

Be careful and allow yourself a good distance in traffic to stop.

We would love to see pictures of your new purchase when all of the dust settles.

I have owned a 1987 Newell and a 1993 Newell so if you have any questions don't hesitate to call me 985 381 6613.
Coach #512
2005 Pilot
tuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 11:14 PM   #6
Bill & Sonja

In Alberta we need an air brake endorsement, other than that an ordinary license is all that's required.
Bill & Sonja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 02:48 AM   #7
prairieschooner

I say that you go to your local DMV (Department of Motor Vehicles) or the appropriate Agency and check with them. Some places do require a Special License or at least an Endorsement. Better safe than ......
1982 Newell 38' (built before #1) 6V92 DD, 5 Speed Allison, 12.5 KW Kohler, Couch used to make into a Bed but I fixed it!
https://newellshowcase.com/thumbnails.php?album=214
2007 Yukon, 1981 CJ7 Laredo, 2002 Honda CRV, 1955 Thunderbird, 1952 Pontiac Sedan Delivery, 1952 Ford 8N, 1958 Airstream, 1959 Glasspar 16' Avalon, Cabin in the Woods........what will I work on next
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
prairieschooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 02:58 AM   #8
bluesky

... well, guess I dropped the ball on this one. Turns out I do need an Air Brake Endorsement in my hometown Province of BC. Rather than drive the coach home this week, I am now looking for storage space in the Holland MI area. Also, I'll have to check and make sure I can get an out of country storage policy.

After 2 years of research, we finally take the step to purchase and now this little detail changes the plan. Bummer. May be smarter to store though, rather than drive across the country this time of year.

Thanks for your support, I'll keep you posted.

ps for those of you asking, if you go back into the forum archives and search "shoebox" you'll see pics of the coach.
Old 11-15-2010, 12:15 PM   #9
express1

Did someone say DRIVER?
if you think my spellin is bad, you should sea my handwritten. #437 w/flex toad (STAY AWAY FROM LARRY BELL aka larrynjeri) he is a lier and a lock picker.
express1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 06:14 PM   #10
bluesky

Thanks all,

Decided to fly down for visual and mechanical inspection and, if we purchase, store the coach until the spring.

Dean, your storage offer sounds perfect. I will be in the area for the inspections late this week and I'll give you a call. Assuming we purchase, I would drive the coach to the storage on the Saturday or Sunday. Would that work for you? Love to stay at your B&B as well.
Old 11-16-2010, 02:51 PM   #11
HoosierDaddy

That'll work bluesky...Just give me a call !
Dean
1993 Newell 45'#316, 1976 Trans Am 455, 1967 GTO, 1953 Chevrolet 3105 (panel truck),1952 Chevrolet 3600,1969 Airstream Overlander. Always fixing something!
HoosierDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 04:15 AM   #12
bennme

Default bennme

I've imported several vehicles as a collector so if you need info on importing, give me a shout. I live in Kelowna. You don't need to go thru RIV since the coach is over 15 years old. You will have to pay GST at the border you cross and you will also have to contact the US Customs at the border you cross and have a copy of the title faxed to them at least 72 hours prior to crossing into canada. Without that, they will not allow you to export it. You will have to have original to produce to US customs at port of exit that you faxed the copy to.

When you get to the Canadian side you will have to have stamped title in hand, bill of sale and will fill out an import form, which is quite simple. Make sure the manufacturers US DOT compliance plate is visible for Customs to see, pay your GST and off you go. You will need to contact ICBC immediately upong entering Canada in BC and get a Temp Operating Permit to drive to an inspection station. Then it's off to your icbc agent with all the paperwork to register it. I'm retired from the RCMP so let me know if you need anything else.

Good luck...Keith
bennme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 06:07 AM   #13
bluesky

Default Importing My Newell

Keith

I'll sleep well tonight, thanks for the reassurance. I did enough research to feel pretty comfortable with the importing process, however, you have made it more than just theory. It's a fact, given the coach is more than 15 years old, we do not need to go through RIV. Cheers.
Old 11-26-2010, 11:54 AM   #14
Richard and Rhonda

Welcome to the Newell crowd. I think you will find this forum to be extremely beneficial.

I have made many good friends here. I also find the information offered up is much more likely to be accurate than on other generic RV forums. I was going to say less nut cases here, but some would consider most of us pretty nutty.

Please don't hesitate to post your questions as they come.
CoMotion Tandem
Often wrong, but seldom in doubt
Rhonda's chronicle https://wersquared.wordpress.com/
Richard and Rhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 01:45 PM   #15
prairieschooner

hey Keith, do you still have one of those hats and wear it?

we are looking forward to visiting Canada, welcome both of you.
1982 Newell 38' (built before #1) 6V92 DD, 5 Speed Allison, 12.5 KW Kohler, Couch used to make into a Bed but I fixed it!
https://newellshowcase.com/thumbnails.php?album=214
2007 Yukon, 1981 CJ7 Laredo, 2002 Honda CRV, 1955 Thunderbird, 1952 Pontiac Sedan Delivery, 1952 Ford 8N, 1958 Airstream, 1959 Glasspar 16' Avalon, Cabin in the Woods........what will I work on next
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
prairieschooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 07:32 PM   #16
bluesky

thank you all, I'm totally excited to get to know you all and the details of our coach. My wife and I will fly to Chicago in May and drive her home, stopping at The Gorge in Washington State for the 4 day Sasquatch music festival.

I'm a music guy. Play in a band and manage a band called Pull InCase of Fire. My son is the singer/writer.
Old 12-02-2010, 02:34 PM   #17
Neweller

Welcome to the family! What a great coach you have decided on. You folks got a beauty!

Ken
If you want to sell, PM or Private Message me. Thanks!

"I know I’m not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Neweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 10:42 PM   #18
zcasa

Hey Blue Sky:

We spent a week in Kelowna, BC two years ago with our Newell. We stayed at Apple Orchard RV Park which only has 10 spots, but plenty good for us. As I recall there is a big lake nearby. lol. Gorgeous country and we loved all of it. May have heard some of your music. Very cool. We sold our Newell this year, but we won't quit reliving the memories, stimulated by postings such as yours. Enjoy your really nice looking 83. Our 92 had lap belts, and maybe you can call Newell to see about installation of seat belts. Those windshield are pretty big and pretty close to you.

David
zcasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 11:23 PM   #19
bluesky

Thanks David

This is gorgeous country, for sure. I will check with Newell and other RV Service Centers re lap belts. Keep the music flowing.

Glenn

Kelowna, British Columbia
Canada
1983 Newell Classic
https://www.luxurycoachlifestyle.com/...php?albumid=47
1993 SOB