Brake light switch - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-02-2009, 02:24 AM   #1
Brian Long

Default Brake light switch

My 87 Newell has no brake lights, I thought I would start with the brake light stitch but have no idea where it is located. My cruise control manual shows an air line from the foot valve but no other information. Any information or ideas would be appreciated. I did read the posting in the archives and it was helpful. I am an electrically challenged but learn fast.
Brian

Brian Long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 03:19 AM   #2
Wally Arntzen

Brian, I had an 87 and you may check in the rear of the coach, there are several relays and solinoids and one of them may be part of the brake lights system. I'm like you, not the brightest light on the tree when it comes to electric problems, but I think that may be an area to look at.

Wally

Wally Arntzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 04:49 AM   #3
chockwald

Steve Ward had a similar problem with his brakelights when he first bought his '82....he had none. It turned out the problem was in the emergency flasher assembly. Everything seems to go through there. It's located in the steering column. He was able to call Newell and get them to ship him the assembly for about $150. Once installed it solved his problem. Hopefully he'll chime in and confirm, or rule out my suspicion.
2002 Thunderbird Retro
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Cannondale F600
2 Terra Trike Tadpoles
Intense 5.5 mountain bike
ALBUM: https://newellshowcase.com/thumbnails.php?album=213
chockwald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 01:50 AM   #4
Brian Long

Thanks Clarke and Wally for chiming in on this. I spoke to Ron an electrician at Newell today and he advised they had problems with the hazard warning switch which resulted in no brake lights on the earlier coaches as Steve found out. My coach has a GM tilt steering column which is very loose so I need to fix that problem and at the same time I will be able to address the hazard switch. I would welcome any information about the GM column.
Brian
Brian Long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 03:55 PM   #5
prarieschooner

Brian,
I have some notes left over from my troubleshooting of this problem and will share what I have. This information is from my '82;
The Brake Light Switch is located under the Coach at the front and is a Pressure Switch located in the Brake Line. I raised the Coach and BLOCKED (please read previous posts about this) it. I then went under the Coach and confirmed that the Brake Light Switch had 12 Volts DC at the Terminal (I think that it was the Yellow with Red Wire). I had 12 Volts DC coming into the Switch so I simply used a short Jumper with Alligator Clips to simulate the Switch Operation. Since I still had no Brake Lights I then went to the Steering Column. On my '82 it was the Red Wire Coming into the Column that was the Brake Signal.
I went to Harbor Freight and purchased a Puller to Pull the Steering Wheel. I was then able to trace the wires and find the problem. I used some generic wire schematics that I found and I will share them if you send me a PM I can send what I have here (the attachment is too large to post).
My problem was in the Emergency Flashers. That Circuit interrupts the Brake Lights (that allows the E-Flashers to continue Flashing when the Brakes are applied, I was able to make temporary wiring change inside the column in order to move the Coach to get Fuel)
prarieschooner is offline   Reply With Quote