Engine didn't want to shut down! - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-04-2006, 03:35 AM   #1
Sparky

Default Engine didn't want to shut down!

I had a problem the other day after I started up my coach. I have the 6v92 Detroit engine and I was doing a routine run on the engine and went to shut it down and the shut down switch would not work, I even tried the emergency kill switch and it kept running. I got confused as what to do so I called a friend that works on heavy equipment and we went over the options and I was told to starve the engine for air and force it to shut down by putting a board in front of the air tube where it clamps to the air cleaner and that worked. Now I go to start it up and it does nothing. So now I'm really confused. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 01:55 PM   #2
dohnesorge

Sparky,
When I first got my coach I was parking it late one night and had a similar no shutoff situation. I am embarrassed to admit that I had left the coach in gear and the electronics were preventing the engine from shutting down. This is probably not the case with yours but thought I would throw it out there in case.

David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	588.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	37.1 KB
ID:	1948  

Old 02-16-2006, 03:57 PM   #3
agkcpa
Traveling

I have a 1983 Newell with the 6V92TA. I have had this failure to shut down 3 times in the last 7 years.

The first time I was using cruise control, the other 2 were during regular stop and go driving.

I eventually found that I had 2 problems leading to this scary situation.
1st, the linkage that is actuated by the Williams Air Throttle was binding and leaving the throttle in full open position.
2nd, the selonoid that is actuated by the STOP switch on the dash was not working properly (poor connections).

Once both of these problems were solved, I had no further issues with failure to shut down.
agkcpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 04:45 PM   #4
karlb

This one goes back a few years, but I remember experiencing this problem. 6V92s have an electric solonoid shutdown valve connected to the fuel line on top of the engine operated from a toggle switch on the dash. Check the electrical connections. Don't forget the ground side of the circuit. In fact, if you cannot find a cause, try increasing the size of the ground wire to the solonoid. More than once,I have seen a larger ground wire cure this problem.

Karl
karlb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 11:55 PM   #5
77neweller

:? I had this happen a couple times with my 6V92 when the "stop" coil that shuts down the engine at the governor got hung up. I had to fiddle with it a bit to get it freed up and since then it has worked both ways much better. "knock on wood".
77neweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 02:00 AM   #6
khpaladin

Prescott Valley

I have reciently had a hard time starting the 6V92T, and only started after I flipped the dash merge switch to house. Apparently while spending some time at an RV park, I forgot to merge the house and engine batteries so that they could be properly charged. Without the engine running to charge the engine batteries the constant chassis electrical drained them down to a level they could not start the engine. In the same case the STOP solenoid is also wired to the engine batteries. Without enough battery to energize the solenoid I could not stop the engine. I flipped the merge switch to house again and the STOP solenoid worked. I am now going to rewire my charging system with isolators and regulators so this will never happen again.

K.H. 'Ki' Punilei
https://www.luxurycoachlifestyle.com/forum/members/khpaladin-albums-1981-newell-40-6v92-ta.html
khpaladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 03:05 AM   #7
express1

Default won't shut down!

After a short trip. I returned, parked, turned key off, got out, motor still running. I had to laugh to myself, thinking, who has this problem.
I call my local guru Tuga. However his try list was short in this situation.
I called Newell and in less than 30 seconds a tech told me to disconnect orange wire on terminal block #4. This shut down my series 60 like a key.
I don't know the cause of the problem but after reconnecting three times all is well for now! At least, Now I can stop my motor if needed... Thinking about putting a toggle switch on the orange wire!!!!
express1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 12:06 PM   #8
tuga

Matt,

I would change the stop solenoid. You should be able to trace the orange wire to the solenoid. That would be the switch that you are talking about. Confirm this with Newell first, but I think this is the right course of action.
Coach #512
2005 Pilot
tuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 01:29 AM   #9
prairieschooner

My Stop Solenoid was Sluggish when we first got the Coach. I was able to "exercise" and get it free, you may want to try that if the 6V92 sits for a while. Also check all connections low Voltage will absolutely cause problems. If all else fails I agree with Tuga replace it.
just one simple man's thoughts
1982 Newell 38' (built before #1) 6V92 DD, 5 Speed Allison, 12.5 KW Kohler, Couch used to make into a Bed but I fixed it!
https://newellshowcase.com/thumbnails.php?album=214
2007 Yukon, 1981 CJ7 Laredo, 2002 Honda CRV, 1955 Thunderbird, 1952 Pontiac Sedan Delivery, 1952 Ford 8N, 1958 Airstream, 1959 Glasspar 16' Avalon, Cabin in the Woods........what will I work on next
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
prairieschooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 03:49 AM   #10
Wally Arntzen

I agree with Tuga, replace the solenoid. I replace all of mine every year as well as all of my belts, antifreeze and other things. It may be over kill but I also take vitameins and don't know for sure if they help but it sure makes me feel a lot better health wise and alot safer with the coach.

1988 Newell Coach #163
40' with tag 8V92
Wally Arntzen is offline   Reply With Quote