remounting and sealing exterior side view mirrors - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-20-2008, 08:02 AM   #1
encantotom

Default remounting and sealing exterior side view mirrors

hi,

i wanted to make sure my mirrors were not leaking into the coach, so i took them off. be ready for some work...

i made some steel re enforcement brackets to go over the two mounting bolts towards the rear of the coach for the inside wall. 2 inches wides and 6 inches high.

first you clean the rubber butyl old stuff off the coach and the mirrors. use goo gone or 3m adhesive remover. then you have to clean the cleaning stuff with adhesive cleaner. i used 3m.

then because the curve of the coach doesnt exactly match the curve of the mirror, you need to dry fit the mirror and see where the gaps are. we ended up mounting each mirror twice to get it perfect. be more careful than us and you might not have to.

then i used rubber butyl tape and doubled it up where the gaps were larger. then put the mirrors up carefully putting the bolts in without the mirror touching the coach. once the rubber butyl tape touches the coach it sticks really good.

then put the mirror on and put the nuts, washer and lock washers on. in my case for the back two bolts i put the newly made steel bracket on first.

then tighted as much as you can being careful not to break the fiberglass or crunch the inside of the coach as well.

then as the butyl compresses, it oozes out and you trim it off with a plastic putty knife.

then for 3 days or so every day i would slightly tighten up the bolts again until the mirror is as flush as you want and all the butyl is oozed out that you want. then trim off the exess again and you are off.

sounds like a goofy process, but it works.

tom

https://www.newellclassic.com/forum/album.php?albumid=8
encantotom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 07:20 PM   #2
fulltiming

As always, the Newell owners community is in gratitude to you for your instructions and willingness to share your improvements with us.

1992 Newell 43.5' #281
8V92 DDEC-2, HT740
PT Cruiser GT with Remco Transmission Pump
https://newellowner.com/newell-photos/
fulltiming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 01:12 AM   #3
leobess

Default reinstall side mirrors

Can you expain how you get the bolts into the mounting brackets when there is no access to the area ?
leobess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 03:28 AM   #4
encantotom

so....here is a picture of my brackets. i will explain how to get to them. i could do it now with the coach together, but i did them when i had the coach totally gutted and was redoing the walls too.

basically, the passenger one is behind the carpeted panel in front of the circuit breaker panel.

the drivers one is behind the carpeted wood panel to the left of the steering column.

i had to cut the wall out and re foam it because i had some water that was getting through the place where the front cap meets the aluminum.

i made the new brackets out of steel and painted them.

the big thing for me on putting the mirrors on is that you use a caulk tape, i used butylene caulk tape on the mirror plate on the outside to seal it to the coach. to prevent cracking the fiberglass, i tightened the 4 bolts tight, then re-tightened them every day for 4 or 5 days until it was gradually cinched up sufficiently.

Old 12-11-2008, 02:45 AM   #5
leobess

Default reinstalling side miorrs

Tom
boy, that is the best information I seen yet. I called the newell people, and they said the same thing you said. So yesterday I tried to get in under the dash, and found out that this fat old man is going to have a problem.That was yesterday, tomorrow I'll give it an other try this time I'm going to remove the driver seat, and see if I have more room, The picture you posted was terrfic. thanks I'll keep you posted
Old 12-26-2008, 01:50 PM   #6
leobess

Default installing side mirrors

Tom, Well I got the mirrows installed,and what a job that was. The worst part of the job was on the driver side.I cussed in every language you could think of and when that did'nt work, I said to the newell bus,look if you dont make this job any easier, I'm to the the hardwear store and buy about hundred pounds of tnt, and blow this bus into the next state. I dont know what happened, but after that the job got easier( kidding of course) But anyway thanks for the information, Leobess
Old 12-26-2008, 02:16 PM   #7
leobess

Default mirrors installed

Tom I got the mirrors on the bus,but what a job that was, the driver side was the hardest part of the installation. I took out the driver seat to give me more room to work in, it helped but it still was a struggle. After about a day and half I cussed in just about language you could think of, and I finally I said to the " Newell" if you dont make this job easier, I'm going to the hardwear store and buy hundred pounds of TNT and blow you into the next state I dont know what happened, but it did get easier( kidding of course) thanks for the info, was well used, leobess
Old 12-26-2008, 02:21 PM   #8
encantotom

hi,

glad you got them on. i guess the part i didnt mention is that we had to put on and take off the first one we did several times to get it to seal properly. we used a city garbage can with another plastic garbage can on top to hold the mirror while gooping it up.

yea, it was a pain in the neck. a description of how to do it doesnt give it justice as to how fun it is to actually do it.

be sure to tighten the screws slowly so you dont crack the fiberglass cap. check them every day for a while. and recheck them once it gets hot and the goo underneath you used to seal them oozes out some more. then carefully use a plastic putty knife to take the excess goo off. i need to go take some more goo off of mine i noticed.

tom