level light above driver - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-12-2011, 05:27 AM   #1
encantotom

Default level light above driver

hi, time to start working on stuff....

in my newly aquired 2002, there is a level light in the panel above the driver that never goes out when key is on. there is a notation in some papers that was left with the coach that said to ignore it.

i heard someone say that it is usually a sensor that says one of the slides is not all the way in.

any wisdom on this light, what it means and what turns it on?

thanks

tom

https://www.newellclassic.com/forum/album.php?albumid=8
encantotom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 10:59 AM   #2
tuga

Tom,

My LEVEL light comes on from time to time; I ignore it! My MH carport is perfectly level and sometimes the LEVEL light comes on - sometimes it doesn't.

I don't know if anyone explained to you about extending/retracting the slide rooms. You should extend/retract the slide rooms ONLY from the road level position. DO NOT LEVEL THE COACH FIRST AND THEN RUN THE SLIDES OUT/IN. I had a difficult time understanding this until Tommy Key explained that when the coach is leveled using the HWH leveling system the body is twisted slightly and you don't want to run the slide out when this twisting occurs.

There is a switch that prevents the coach from being moved while the slides are extended. Mine is in the driver's side 1st bay in front under the driver's seat. Locate it in your coach and turn it off. The reason for turning it off is as the solenoids that open/close the locking pins get older they tend to not pressure up as well as they did when they were new. The result is when you put the coach in gear an alarm (beeping) will go off and you will not be able to put it in gear. The solution is to extend and the retract the slide room so that the pins can seat perfectly. If they are out 1/32nd of an inch you will get the alarm. The slide room is still locked securely in place, but the alarm will sound any way. You can save yourself a lot of aggrevation by just turning the switch off.

I'm pretty sure that you will not drive off with the slides out!

That's about all there is to slides. Slides are great!

Coach #512
2005 Pilot
tuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 12:42 PM   #3
RussWhite

Tom,

I believe that particular light was discussed in this thread:

http://www.newellclassic.com/forum/s...ht=level+light

Mine goes out sometime during the process of getting underway, but I just cannot seem to remember to watch it to know exactly when. I think it is supposed to mean everything is retracted and locking pins are extended into the slide and you are ready to go. If it won't go out you might try holding the retract button a little longer after eveything has seemed to stop moving to see if the extra time allows the locking pins to extend. If the light does not go out then, I would not worry about it or put it way down on the list of things for later. Russ
RussWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 01:35 PM   #4
rheavn

Tom,
When you retract the slide, hold the retract switch down until the hydraulic motor stops. At that point the slide will be in & locked. Using this method my level light always goes out.
Old 11-12-2011, 04:00 PM   #5
lbrachfe

I have the same experience as Steve. Just hold the switch until the motor stops. I do not have a shut off switch under the driver seat in the bay, but do have a manual overide which I have used once when the pins were not lined up perfectly. The comment about 1/32 of an inch off is correct or at least I had the experience where it visually looked lined up, but after switching to manual overide it worked fine and then I switched it back to normal operation.

Larry Brachfeld
2003 2 slide #646
lbrachfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 01:14 PM   #6
Barry Rooker

I learned to leave the override switch on some seven years ago. Too many times the coach wouldn't go into gear otherwise. Yes, the "level" light is always lighted at the panel above the driver as a result. Newell told me that even if the locking pins don't come down for any reason, the inflated seals will also hold the slides in place. I've traveled about 45,000 miles uneventfully this way.
Barry Rooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 02:11 PM   #7
lbrachfe

Good to know Barry.... Thanks...Next time I have a problem, it will be switched on and left on..

Larry & Hedy Brachfeld
2003 2 slide, # 646
lbrachfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 02:39 PM   #8
encantotom

ahhhh,

yesterday i went to move the coach and after starting the engine it wouldnt go into gear. the tranny panel just flashed D or R. I would turn the engine off and back on and it would go into gear. is that because the level light is on and something to do with the pins not being set or the sensor not thinking so?

tom

https://www.newellclassic.com/forum/album.php?albumid=8
encantotom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 03:32 PM   #9
RussWhite

Tom,

When that happens to me I have usually forgotten to return the engine to normal idle speed from fast idle.
If you have dumped the air in the tag bags the transmission will not engage as well. I imagine there are other things too, but those are the ones I have experienced.

Russ

RussWhite is offline   Reply With Quote