Tech Talk Archives 2 - Page 4 - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Go Back   Luxury Coach Lifestyles > Forum Archives - closed > Archive Three
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Log in Click Here to Login

Old 10-13-2012, 03:17 PM   #61
Neweller

Q
524 2/28/2002 6:19:37 PM 3/1/2002 Rich Farr toptin@aol.com 79 Newell air leveling We have recently purchased a 79 Newell and there is no info on the air leveling. There is no brand name on the system and it is probably not original equip. It is non-computerized with a master switch, a buzzer/light and separate switches for each corner. ignition off, I can hear it click on all 4 quadrants as the switches are activated in both the up and down position. It acts like it wants to work, but no leveling. Can anyone help us obtain some operating instructions or schematic for this older air leveling system? Thnaks in advance.
Rich Farr 918 396-0082 -

If you want to sell, PM or Private Message me. Thanks!

"I know I知 not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Neweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 05:51 AM   #62
Neweller

Q
525 2/28/2002 6:46:50 PM 3/2/2002 Rich Farr toptin@aol.com How Much Trouble Are They? Dennis - 2nd try -
A 1987 Newell is an awesome coach (one of my favorites)and (with reasonable maintenance) it should last several hundred thousand miles without major system problems.
It is probably 102" wide as opposed to older 96" wide - big nice difference.
The 8V92 is a very good engine and is not hard to get service on Detroit Diesels. It is most likly 475HP with turbo. FYI - all detroit 2 cycle diesels use oil - so don't be alarmed.
We own a 1979 with 6V92DD and 5 speed Allison transmission. It is adequately powered, but definitely not an 8V92 turbo.
It gets good mileage however, so we can live with it.
If the 1987 has a tag axle, you will have better braking, but you still need to keep speed down and use jake brake when going down hills/grades. The tag axle also requires a class B driver's license in this state. Our coach is still running on original engine and transmission with 105K total miles. The worst problems we have had so far have been the heaters and power converter. All the electric heaters had to be replaced and the gas heaters currently need to be serviced. This is really minor stuff however, and you can do most yourself. You will need to become familiar with all the Newell systems - we labeled everything since there was no owners manual for 1979. As you can see, we like to talk abvout Newells. Send us an email if you care for more rhetoric.
Best,
toptin@aol.com

"I know I知 not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Old 10-19-2012, 05:52 AM   #63
Neweller

A
526 3/2/2002 3:03:58 PM 3/2/2002 TechTalk Staff techtalk@newellcoach.com 79 Newell air leveling Frankly, the first air leveling systems (pre-1981) are fairly crude, with manual slide-valves, and do not operate very reliably. Even new, they were often a challenge. If you want a good air leveling system, the Newell factory service department could either sell you an HWH 600 leveling system (go to: http://www.hwhcorp.com/600series.html ) in do-it-yourself kit form (would require a pretty good heavy duty mechanic to install properly) or we could do the full installation for you in the Newell service department. The downside is that you're looking at several thousand dollars for a retrofit. When you compare the costs, a good set of leveling blocks is pretty tempting.

-Bob Marley
Old 10-19-2012, 05:52 AM   #64
Neweller

A
527 3/2/2002 3:09:15 PM 3/2/2002 TechTalk Staff techtalk@newellcoach.com Sun Shades The Newell service department can provide the correct electric shades for you. In addition to the original two-shade version, we now have a single shade version which also makes a good privacy shade at night, so the drapes need not be pulled around the front. The single shade is now standard on new coaches. Most have found that they can adjust the single shade adequately to work as a sun shade for both driver and co-pilot, although the adjustment flexibility is more limited than dual shades.

-Bob Marley
Old 10-19-2012, 05:52 AM   #65
Neweller

A
528 3/2/2002 3:18:00 PM 3/2/2002 TechTalk Staff techtalk@newellcoach.com Aqua Hot digital reading.. We suggest you first turn off the system and allow it to cool. Then top off the fluid resouvoir (under the radiator cap), and the plastic coolant recovery tank to the marks stamped on the tank. Use a 50/50 mix of anti-freeze and water. Don't overfill the recovery tank or it will overflow when hot. But you should see fluid in the plastic tank, hot or cold. If the temperature reading is still irratic after topping off the fluid, change the sender. The sender is behind the access panel for the thermostats above the diesel burner.

-Bob Marley
Old 10-19-2012, 05:52 AM   #66
Neweller

A
530 3/3/2002 8:17:05 AM 3/3/2002 Rich Farr toptin@aol.com Per Lux 200T Driving Lights Need to buy parts to restore PerLux200T fog/running lights on 79 Newell. Is this model still available? If not, can anyone recommend a 'round' - bolt in replacement? Thanks in advance.
Rich

-Bob Marley
Old 10-19-2012, 05:52 AM   #67
Neweller

Q
531 3/3/2002 10:08:36 AM 3/3/2002 Bob Stone bstone@hbssystems.com Auto-start Generator The Service Dept. at Newell quoted me $500 to install the Auto-start on a 1998 Newell with a 20kw Koehler Generator. I just don't know if I would use the Auto-Start, I hear about 50% of owners do not use.

-Bob Marley
Old 10-19-2012, 05:53 AM   #68
Neweller

A
532 3/3/2002 2:05:43 PM 3/3/2002 TechTalk Staff techtalk@newellcoach.com Auto-start Generator The Newell factory staff is generally not inclined favorably toward the auto start feature for generators. Auto start is not a listed option for new coaches, although we will install it in production upon request. We see several problems. For example, if the system is turned on, it will start the generator even when inappropriate. Such as, the coach is stored in an enclosed building, plugged in. There is a power failure. After two or three days running off batteries, the voltage will decrease to the point where the generator starts automatically. The diesel engine running inside the enclosed building will soot up the building and the interior of the motorhome. Or perhaps the owner or a mechanic is working on the generator, having forgotten to turn off the auto start. If the auto start choses to try to start the generator, serious injury can result. Finally, we have found the auto start systems less than perfectly reliable, sometimes failing to start the generator as the batteries are depleted. This can create some consequences, perhaps a refrigerator/freezer full of spoiled food, perhaps worse. There is a lot to be said for simply starting the generator manually when needed, and turning it off when not.

-Bob Marley
Old 10-19-2012, 05:53 AM   #69
Neweller

A
534 3/4/2002 8:29:44 AM 3/4/2002 TechTalk Staff TechTalk@newellcoach.com Purchase 86 Newell We have found the reliability of these central air systems to be reasonably good. The more common repair parts are still available, although some of the less often required parts may be a challenge if needed. The worst case scenario after parts become unavailable would be to cut openings in the ceiling and drop in roof top units.

-Bob Marley
Old 10-19-2012, 05:53 AM   #70
Neweller

A
535 3/5/2002 6:25:47 PM 3/7/2002 Bob Marlatt InsideGolf@cablespeed.com Ford 391 engine I have a 1973 Newell with a 391 Ford engine and the firing order in the manual and on the engine are the same (1-5- 4-2-6-3-7-8) but it is wired to, and runs well I might add, a different order(1-5-6-3-7-2-4-8). How can that be?

-Bob Marley
Old 10-19-2012, 05:53 AM   #71
Neweller

Q
536 3/5/2002 6:54:13 PM 3/7/2002 Bob Marlatt InsideGolf@cablespeed.com 1973 Newell Motor Coac h I purchased a 73 last year though it has a 391 Ford gas engine, the rest should be about the same as the one you are considering. I can't say enough good things about my older rig. But like any motorcoach, new or pre-owned, you will have to fix the odd thing from time to time. The industrial strength of the older rigs make them a good investment and a joy to drive, but you have to take good care of them to insure your safety. I am not a machanic and don't tackle the repairs on the running gear but I have made it a habit to know where I can find reliable help when I need it and keep good records of all maintainence. I wouldn't trade or sell my older coach for 5 times what I paid for it.

-Bob Marley
Old 10-19-2012, 05:53 AM   #72
Neweller

A
537 3/6/2002 6:41:49 PM 3/7/2002 Ann Haynes jdh1214@msn.com owners manual Does anyone know how I can get an owners manual for a 1970 25 foot coach?

-Bob Marley
Old 10-19-2012, 05:54 AM   #73
Neweller

Q
538 3/7/2002 7:01:32 AM 3/7/2002 TechTalk Staff TechTalk@newellcoach.com owners manual We don't think an owner's manual existed until sometime during the late 1980s or early 1990s.

-Bob Marley
Old 10-19-2012, 05:54 AM   #74
Neweller

A
539 3/7/2002 7:59:46 PM 3/7/2002 TechTalk Staff TechTalk@newellcoach.com Ford 391 engine Our research indicates that the engine owner's manual and firing order on the engine are correct. Frankly, we don't understand how the engine would run properly with the firing order you indicate.

-Bob Marley
Old 10-19-2012, 05:54 AM   #75
Neweller

A
540 3/7/2002 8:18:34 PM 3/7/2002 TechTalk Staff TechTalk@newellcoach.com Per Lux 200T Driving Lights The Newell factory parts department has a selection of PerLux parts in stock, and can order most other parts for the 200T lights. You can confirm availability of specific parts by calling Gerald Williams toll free number at 1-888-963-9355, ext. 222.

-Bob Marley
Old 10-19-2012, 05:54 AM   #76
Neweller

A
541 3/7/2002 8:39:00 PM 3/8/2002 Raul Cortez raulcortez@aol.com Aqua Hot digital reading.. Follow up: I have topped off the resorvoir and still did not see a change in the reading. Gary in Parts sent me a sending unit and I have replaced it, and all is back to normal. I am getting normal readings up to 201 degrees. Thanks for all of the help.

-Bob Marley
Old 10-19-2012, 05:55 AM   #77
Neweller

A
542 3/8/2002 12:29:15 AM 3/8/2002 Michael Lewis OhFastOne@aol.com Ford 391 engine Has your engine been rebuilt? If so it is possible that the rebuilder used the camshaft from another engine. Some Ford engines have interchangeable parts but depending on certain factors, the firing orders were different.

-Bob Marley
Old 10-19-2012, 05:55 AM   #78
Neweller

A
543 3/8/2002 12:34:24 AM 3/8/2002 Michael Lewis OhFastOne@aol.com Mileage/Range of Series 60 I was wondering what kind of mileage to expect out of a 45ft. I'm trying to calculate the possible range a coach is capable of with the series 60 engine.

-Bob Marley
Old 10-19-2012, 05:55 AM   #79
Neweller

Q
544 3/11/2002 4:13:24 PM 3/11/2002 Rich Farr toptin@aol.com 18 position 30 amp fuse blocks Our 79 Newell has an 18 position 30 amp fuseblock in the bedroom cabinet. 2 or 3 positions are broken and have been bypassed. I would like to restore to original condition. Are these big fuse blocks still available - or - is there a circuit breaker type upgrade? Thanks.

-Bob Marley
Old 10-19-2012, 05:55 AM   #80
Neweller

Q
545 3/11/2002 6:18:21 PM 3/11/2002 bill burch bmburch@swbell.net Mileage/Range of Series 60 I usually run about 7 miles per gallon. If I'm heating with diesel or running the generator a lot it may figure about 6.5 over a long period of time. I fuel around 1200 miles and always have about 70 gallons in reserve. Ideally in the spring with cool weather I have run 8 mpg.

-Bob Marley