I'm looking at a 76 Newell - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-19-2005, 08:08 PM   #1
Mike Donahue

Default I'm looking at a 76 Newell

I am looking at a 76 Newell with a blown Cummins 555. What do you suggest I put in there? I am looking at a Detroit V6 92. I'm not sure what to do. Will the radiator have to be replaced?

Mike Donahue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 11:53 PM   #2
TechTalk

Installation of a Detroit Diesel 6V92 engine would require extensive modifications, including an upgraded transmission and a higher capacity cooling system. A successful conversion is possible, but it will require skillful planning and installation, and this would be an expensive repower, particularly compared to the value of a 30-year old coach. The expense of the repower could easily exceed the value of the coach after completion. A rebuilt or used Cummins 555 or Caterpillar 3208 would reduce the cost considerably. But we recommend that as you evaluate your alternatives, you compare the expected cost of each to the value of the coach upon completion.

Old 07-27-2005, 05:32 AM   #3
Brion Johnston

I have a '79 Newell. The previous owner replaced the Cummins 555 on it with a Cummins 903 with a turbocharger. Mine has several thousand miles on it and it has run very well. I don't think there were any major modifications to make it fit or work - at least the repair records didn't indicate anything significant. I don't know how hard it would be to find a used or rebuilt one or what it would cost, however.
Brion Johnston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2005, 04:04 PM   #4
Jon Kabbe

I have a 77 coach with rear twin beds that the previous owner changed from a 555 to a 6V92T. The engine box above the engine had to be widened somewhat so the twin beds had to be raised about 10 inches. Also a much larger rear radiator was installed. I was told it was oversize so that cooling would never be a problem. From the structure around the radiator it's not obvious what changes were made. My sense is that hiring the change done would be tough to justify economically. If you can do the coach and chassis mods yourself it may be entertaining if you love that kind of thing.
Jon Kabbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2005, 11:37 PM   #5
Neweller

Hi Brian Johnston or anyone else who may want to comment on this post! I have been pondering what to do with my 1976 Newell with the 555? I also own a 1978 with the 6V92T turbo which was switched out by a previous owner in 1986 from a non turbo 6V92. The rated horsepower is 375 and seems to fair well. The 555 in the 1976 only has around 150k miles but has some rattling going on the left side of the engine and smokes gray on that bank, I was thinking of changing the engine out with a modern power plant but since Newell does not really think it's feasable I may consider the Cummins 903, since it is easier and does not need the trans changed. I see a lot of 903 engines around, what I'm wondering is what kind of power are you getting out of yours with the turbo?
Neweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 05:11 PM   #6
Chipper

I am currently looking at several Newells of older vintage. One has a bad Cummins 555 like mentioned in these previously posts. I don't want to ask the same questions if they have already been answered here on the Newell Forum before.

I have already read a lot of interesting information right here and thought maybe there could be some newer updates? Have any of these Newell owners followed through with an engine powerplant upgrade?
Old 10-13-2012, 08:10 PM   #7
Neweller

Hi Chip and again welcome. It looks like you are making yourself at home here. Good deal.

This topic has been discussed a few times over the past few years, and you will find many differentiating opinions to ponder. I have had firsthand experience on a couple of occasion upgrading engines working alongside master diesel mechanics whom know one heck of a lot more than I. Besides, having been involved first hand I have also seen some other conversions on a Newell, Wanderlodge and buses. Southern Oregon diesel does this on a weekly basis as do many other shops around the country. Just some guys are so good at modifying or fabricating power plant transplants it will make some of us dizzy. Stuffing another power plant into anything is pretty much possible but at what cost one may ask? The answer may not be justifiable to many do to the outrages cost.

In the past I have mentioned to others, if you are very handy and like fabricating things or you having a means to getting it done reasonably, than why not. What really matters is that the whole idea pencils out for you. In most cases owners will never recoup near what they will have into doing these sorts of upgrades on older vintage coaches. There are guys on here who have double the $$ invested into their Newell, then what they will ever see in a return. You would be best to look at it like a hobby, and most do not pay a dividend back other than satisfaction or enjoyment. This, in most cases is all that matters.

Considering engine choices may vary depending on what year of Newell you are talking about and what existing engine you are replacing. The Cummins 555 (aka triple nickel) would be best replaced by a Cummins 903. The 903 puts out more horsepower than the 555 without a turbo and will work with your existing transmission. If you bump the power up too much or go with a much torquier engine with a different operating RPM you will need to change out the tranny. Another advantage to the Cummins 903 besides fitting right in, is that they are much more readily available. The 555 though being a good diesel engine is very hard to find parts for.

This is not a dead subject by no means, so ask away if you choose.

If you want to sell, PM or Private Message me. Thanks!

"I know I’m not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Neweller is offline   Reply With Quote