Water Heater Pressure Relief Valve - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-28-2012, 05:04 PM   #1
Rich Franklin

Default Water Heater Pressure Relief Valve

We have installed a new dual gas/electric water heater. Both sources work the heater, but if we leave either source switched on for more than an hour or so, scalding water starts being ejected from what appears to be a pressure relief valve.

I presume it's a thermostat issue, but is there only one thermostat for both power sources? If so, what's the job like to change it?

Rich

Old 12-28-2012, 11:44 PM   #2
The Newell

water heaters do put out very hot water, and do not have adjustable thermostats. Many times when the T&P valve is leaking, it's because you have lost the air pocket in the water heater tank If The hot water heater tank has lost the head of air this is your first fix. The procedure for doing this is:

Turn off the water pump, open the drain valve and drain the tank be sure the water has cooled before attempting this.

Close the drain valve.

Open a hot water faucet

Re-fill the hot water tank, either from city water or, as in my case, by turning the water pump back on

Turn off the hot water faucet when the tank has filled.

Next you can manually operate the relief valve. If re-heating the water results in the relief valve ejecting a continuous stream of water.

It's time to buy a new relief valve.

Home Base: Riverside, CA

If anyone needs my contact info private message me and I will send it to you.

-Joseph-
The Newell is offline   Reply With Quote