Driving a Detroit Diesel xV92 - Page 2 - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-27-2009, 02:07 AM   #21
chockwald

OK, found the air box drain canister....was located on the right side just in front of the rear wheels. Got a 2 gallon bucket, and was hoping I wouldn't need all of it, however, the canister looks like it holds 1 gallon if full. I got 1 quart....I thought it was more when I was talking to Tom on the phone, but I was holding the bucket up to the pet cock valve so the wind wouldn't blow the oil on me...was going on how heavy it felt...so much for my estimtation skills. Not too bad for 14 months, and who knows how long before I bought the coach it had been drained. Anyway, no coolant, or any other foreign fluids....just thick, black, old oil.

Here's a picture of my canister....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00055.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	221  

2002 Thunderbird Retro
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Cannondale F600
2 Terra Trike Tadpoles
Intense 5.5 mountain bike
ALBUM: https://newellshowcase.com/thumbnails.php?album=213
chockwald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 02:20 AM   #22
Brian Long

Great Information and photo. Did you have to raise the coach or use ramps to get under the coach? I want to do this procedure as I have been following the threads and want to make sure I do not have water in the cannister.
Brian
87 37' Newell Classic

Brian Long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 03:54 AM   #23
chockwald

Just left it at ride height, and blocked the rear so it wouldn't fall on me, and crawled under....plenty of room. I have to say that without encouragement from Tom, Richard and Michael, who seem to be fearless when it comes to taking care of this important maintenance stuff I would be reluctant to try it myself. When Tom found coolant in his canister it put the fear in me to take care of this simple procedure. This is how you avoid major engine failure...take care of the small stuff, be proactive, find the problems when they are small, and affordable. I know it cost Tom several thousand dollars to fix his problem, but had he not done the routine checking it would have cost $10-15,000 when he suffered catestrophic engine failure, maybe on the trip he took to Texas recently.
2002 Thunderbird Retro
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Cannondale F600
2 Terra Trike Tadpoles
Intense 5.5 mountain bike
ALBUM: https://newellshowcase.com/thumbnails.php?album=213
chockwald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 07:15 PM   #24
zcasa

Just had my service done yesterday, for oil, filters etc. and they drained the air/water seperation tank. It had a self drainer on it, but it had corroded and no longer functioned, so we had to, for now, put a new pitcock drain valve on it. I didn't know that they made self draining ones. I think I'll find out if they are available in the marketplace, because it seems like that would be a good idea to have any water draining out immediately. The other easy choice that I have seen is that a cable can be installed which, when pulled from the side of the Coach, will drain the tank without having to get under the Coach. One of our guys at the mini-rally, Pete, had such a system on his 95 Coach and it sure seemed convenient. I found a freightliner shop that said you can buy the setup for $24 each, plus labor if necessary.

zcasa is offline   Reply With Quote