8V92 Turbo Mechanic Broke a Fin - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-13-2012, 08:59 PM   #1
BMG Coach

Default 8V92 Turbo Mechanic Broke a Fin

while removing the turbo from my 8v92 to fix an oil leak at the base, the mechanic accidentally chipped a very very small tip off one of the turbo fins. Exact size, I'm not sure but it is really small, maybe less than 1/8 inch. He say's it won't hurt and the really old mechanic says the same thing. My mechanic was worried about it maybe being out of balance until the older mechanic gave his opinion.
I don't know that much about them so I'm asking you guys! What do you think?
Oh and the turbo is all back together and installed as of today.

BMG Coach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 10:13 PM   #2
Chester B. Stone, Jr.

I would contact a Detroit engine shop to get their opinion. It may not be worth the risk since if the turbo breaks up while running, the engine may be destroyed from parts entering in the intake.

2001 Newell #579
tow a 2011 Honda Odyssey
1935 Mercedes 500K replica
Chester B. Stone, Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 12:42 AM   #3
BMG Coach

I forgot to mention which side it was on. To my understanding there are two sides. One from the fresh air and one from the exhaust ( I think)! The chipped fin is on the fresh air side and it is VERY small! I'm just not sure if it will hurt! To me, it doesn't look like it will but I don't know how touchy those things really are!
Old 09-14-2012, 02:40 AM   #4
Neweller

Who's the shop working on it? The might be how hard did it drop and is there even a hairline crack. Like Chester stated, it's not worth loosing an engine over. If it's the shops fault they shouldn't even question replacing it.

Ken
If you want to sell, PM or Private Message me. Thanks!

"I know I’m not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Neweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 03:38 PM   #5
The Newell

The Turbo spins at a very fast RPM. It is hard to tell how big a very small chip is. I would have it replaced if it were mine. If the shop isn't worried then I would get that in writing. Some sort of warranty would be in order in my mind. What I would worry about is if there is hair line cracks that you can't see. I would hate to see you shell out your turbo and have to find all the parts in places that may require a top end tare down. I would stand my ground on a replacement turbo if I thought they did the damage.

Home Base: Riverside, CA

If anyone needs my contact info private message me and I will send it to you.

-Joseph-
The Newell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 05:19 PM   #6
Ramblin Ron

Turbos can spin upwards of 100,000 rpm, so even a slight imbalance on either side of the shaft can wreak havoc with the bearing it rides in.

You'll know the bearing's gone bad because your oil consumption will go up and you'll start seeing more blue smoke in the exhaust, as they usually fail on that side.

I agree- get it in writing that they chipped the compressor wheel during reassembly, and any subsequent repairs required due to turbo failure they will cover. If they won't put it in writing, maybe have your attorney give the shop owner a friendly call. . . and keep note of this thread's topic/number, so it can be used as back-up if you get into a "situation".
Old 09-14-2012, 11:05 PM   #7
GringoPhil

Replace the Turbo.. No question on that.

Typically once a turbo fin is chipped or damaged, It will continue to fracture
and self destruct sooner or later. The last thing you need after all the problems is
a turbo fragging out and sending particles of hardened metals into the blower and into the engine.

If you decide to leave it alone, You might as well start shopping for a new engine now and saving up the money to have it changed.
Old 09-15-2012, 12:43 AM   #8
prairieschooner

Get a second opinion. I would be much more concerned about the intake than the exhaust, Intake...could it ind its way into the engine...?
1982 Newell 38' (built before #1) 6V92 DD, 5 Speed Allison, 12.5 KW Kohler, Couch used to make into a Bed but I fixed it!
https://newellshowcase.com/thumbnails.php?album=214
2007 Yukon, 1981 CJ7 Laredo, 2002 Honda CRV, 1955 Thunderbird, 1952 Pontiac Sedan Delivery, 1952 Ford 8N, 1958 Airstream, 1959 Glasspar 16' Avalon, Cabin in the Woods........what will I work on next
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
prairieschooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 01:23 AM   #9
Richard and Rhonda

They owe you a turbo. But before you get persnickety with them, they did tell you about it, instead of hiding it.

I think it will eventually fail. When it fails, it will likely ruin the engine because of what others have told you. It will spew metal shards into the close tolerance blower. Can you say new engine.

Even if you have to cough up the price of a rebuilt turbo, do not run the engine with a broken impeller blade.
CoMotion Tandem
Often wrong, but seldom in doubt
Rhonda's chronicle https://wersquared.wordpress.com/
Richard and Rhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 02:48 AM   #10
prairieschooner

Agreed, you would most likely be better even to take them to small claims, I think you could win!!?
1982 Newell 38' (built before #1) 6V92 DD, 5 Speed Allison, 12.5 KW Kohler, Couch used to make into a Bed but I fixed it!
https://newellshowcase.com/thumbnails.php?album=214
2007 Yukon, 1981 CJ7 Laredo, 2002 Honda CRV, 1955 Thunderbird, 1952 Pontiac Sedan Delivery, 1952 Ford 8N, 1958 Airstream, 1959 Glasspar 16' Avalon, Cabin in the Woods........what will I work on next
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
prairieschooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 02:19 PM   #11
lbrachfe

Imbalance will eventually cause all turbos to self destruct and no matter how small a chip or fracture, it will cause an imbalance that will get worse quickly.
lbrachfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 06:25 PM   #12
BMG Coach

Repair shop decided it was in their best interest to replace my turbo