Tech Talk Archives 1 - Page 2 - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Go Back   Luxury Coach Lifestyles > Forum Archives - closed > Archive Three
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Log in Click Here to Login

Old 12-01-2012, 04:28 AM   #21
Neweller

Q
90 10/11/2000 3:14:03 PM 10/11/2000 Newell Engineering engineering@newellcoach.com BRAKES The brakes at all wheel positions have been full air type since the mid-1970s. In 1992, drum brakes were used at all positions. However, shortly thereafter, the steer axle brakes became disc. In 1998 or 1999, the tag axle was changed to disc. In early 2000, the drive axle changed from drum to disc. Therefore, new coaches now have disc brakes in all positions. The coaches have also been equiped with 4-channel ABS anti-skid control for the last five years or so.

If you want to sell, PM or Private Message me. Thanks!

"I know I知 not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Neweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 04:28 AM   #22
Neweller

A
92 10/14/2000 3:35:43 PM 10/14/2000 Ralph Streeter indyralph@aol.com 1979 Newell fire..restore I have a '70 Newell. The weather stripping and glasss chaneling (I"m not sure what the proper name is) are completely shot. Checking with Penisula their estimate was over five thousand to replace the windows which I felt was too much for such an old coach. Yours is nine years newer so may be worthwhile but I have decided to take the windows out. reweatherstrip them as the glass is slightly fogged around the edges but by adding a tint it will be ok. good luck

"I know I知 not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Old 12-01-2012, 04:28 AM   #23
Neweller

A
93 10/16/2000 1:32:09 PM 10/16/2000 DICK MILLER RWMILL62@AOL.COM Proper Tire Inflation ALL LOAD RANGES ARE PRINTED ON THE SIDEWALL OF YOUR TIRE; I THINK NEWELL WOULD SUGGEST YOU USE THE TOP RANGE FOR SUMMER USAGE. DIFFERENT TIRE MANUFACTURERS USE DIFFERENT PRESSURES BUT MOST WILL BE WITHIN 10 LBS OF ONEANOTHER. ONE THING TO ALWAYS REMEMBER IS THAT A TIRE RUNNING ON A SEMI WILL NORALLY BE READY FOR RETREADING WITHIN A YEAR AND A HALF AND THE RECAPPED TIRE CORE WILL BE OFF THE ROAD IN THREE YEARS MAX. I SAY THIS BECAUSE YOU MAY THINK YOUR TIRE LOOKS GOOD AT 4 YEARS SINCE YOU HAVE LOTS OF TREAD. DO NOT LET THIS FOOL YOU. I AM SURE YOU WILL NOT RUN THE MILES THAT A SEMI TRUCK DRIVER WILL, IE. 100,000 MILES ANUALLY. A TIRE CORE MUST BE REPLACED ON OR BEFORE IT'S FIFTH BIRTHDAY NO MATTER WHAT KIND OF TREAD IS LEFT. LOOK FOR DOT DATE ON SIDE OF TIRE. MANY TRUCKERS WILL TELL YOU FOUR YEARS MAX. I HAD TWO BLOW OUTS THIS SUMMER BECAUSE A TIRE DEALER TOLD ME THE TIRES LOOKED FINE. THE TIRES WERE ON THEIR 5TH YEAR AND BLEW LIKE A BOMB. CLOSER INSPECTION REVEALED TIRE CHECKING.

I ALSO DETECTED A FRONT END SHAKE THIS YEAR AND WONDERED ABOUT AN ALLIGNMENT PROBLEM. I DROVE INTO A FRONT END SHOP THAT HAD NO IDEA WHAT TO DO WITH A STRAIGHT AXLE. AFTER CALLING JIM IN SERVICE, HE ENLIGHTENED THE FRONT END SHOP THAT THEY NEEDED TO FORGET AN ALLIGNMENT UNLESS THEY WANTED TO HEAT AND BEND THE AXLE. THE ONLY ADJUSTMENT AVAILABLE IS THE TOW-IN. JIM THEN ADVISED ME TO TAKE THE COACH TO A TIRE SHOP AND REPLACE THE FRONT TIRES TO SEE IF THERE MIGHT NOT HAVE BEEN A BROKEN SIDEWALL, THEN CALL HIM BACK IF THE PROBLEM IS NOT CORRECTED. I DID SO; NEW TIRES CORRECTED THE PROBLEM.

MORAL TO STORY; REPLACE YOUR TIRES BEFORE THE BOMB HITS!

-Bob Marley
Old 12-01-2012, 04:28 AM   #24
Neweller

A
95 10/16/2000 2:39:29 PM 10/17/2000 Greg Allworth PHlhansen@sierra.net Brakes I have A 1969 newell coach, what type of brakes are on this years model? Is there a master cylinder? where do you put the brake fluid!! Help!!

-Bob Marley
Old 12-01-2012, 04:29 AM   #25
Neweller

96 10/16/2000 5:03:30 PM 10/17/2000 Brian Hunter airgoat@mindspring.com Generator door problem I am having a problem getting my generator door to function. I replaced the air operator valve and it did not solve the problem. I checked air pressure and it's good,120 psi. I called the factory and they told me it could be the telescoping exhaust, hangs up sometimes from lack of use. If it was an air leak in the rams you could probably hear leaking air and there is none so I do not think that is the problem. Any other information would be appreaciated. Brian Hunter Thanks

-Bob Marley
Old 12-01-2012, 04:29 AM   #26
Neweller

Q
97 10/17/2000 10:01:30 AM 10/18/2000 Bill Bouchor wdb@open.org battery merge Our 1983 has the standard coach/starting battery switch, meter, and a three way switch (center off, up merge, down merge). When I move the merge switch from the up to the up or down position (in either coach or starting mode) I get a different meter reading. Any ideas out there why this happens? Is it the merge switch or solenoid or, ?

-Bob Marley
Old 12-01-2012, 04:29 AM   #27
Neweller

Q
98 10/17/2000 3:51:40 PM 10/18/2000 Jody Larriviere Jody@louisianafoods.com Sanitron We experienced similar problems with our 1983 coach.
Our problem was complicated by the fact that the coroded
Sanitron electrodes(which are no longer available from Sanitron)
were leaking from the holding tank. We used 2 1/4inch boat
transom plugs with the brass folding tabs that fold over 90
degrees. We abandonded the Sanitron system, pluged the electrode
holes, and everything is working just fine. This eleminiated
having to remove the holding tank & custom manufacture a
replacement.

-Bob Marley
Old 12-01-2012, 04:29 AM   #28
Neweller

A
99 10/18/2000 11:58:07 AM 10/18/2000 Gary Reddick greddick@orcasonline.com Chrome Illusion Paint The Chrome Illusion Paint Graphics on the front panel of my coach (#547) is in need of refinishing. Does this paint require a special application process or can any good paint shop do the work? Can you furnish the name of the paint supplier and the color codes to allow me to purcase the paint. I know the paint is not cheap! Any direction you can give regarding the application process will be appreciated.

-Bob Marley
Old 12-01-2012, 04:30 AM   #29
Neweller

Q
100 10/18/2000 12:05:19 PM 10/18/2000 Newell Engineering engineering@newellcoach.com battery merge Unless the batteries are merged, you will get different readings on the engine and house batteries. They are independent, see different loads and have different charge sources. If the merge solenoid is working, the voltages should equalize a short period after merging. If the voltage doesn't equalize, it is a good indication that the merge solenoid has failed. Because these solenoids are mechanical, have a finite life, and are not expensive, we recommend they be changed annually rather than waiting for a failure that might be inconvenient. Later model coaches also have an Echo Charger, a small Heart Interface device wired between the engine and coach batteries, that trickle charges the engine batteries from the house batteries anytime it sees more than a small voltage differential between the two. This is a passive device. It relieves the need to merge the batteries to keep the engine battery charged while the coach is in storage. They can be easily retrofitted and are nominal in cost. You can buy them from Newell parts.

-Bob Marley
Old 12-01-2012, 04:30 AM   #30
Neweller

A
103 10/18/2000 7:03:51 PM 10/19/2000 otto Burleson otto@spinn.net Generator door problem Hi Brian -- Please check the air pressure on the "supply Side" You may have 120 on Brake side and o on supply side-
This is the gauge on the right side on the panel. Also, with 0 air pressure on the supply side, you can operate the slide door manually. Try bringing up the air pressure on the supply side--- you do not need 120 to make this work.
cordially otto burleson albuquerque nm

-Bob Marley
Old 12-01-2012, 04:30 AM   #31
Neweller

A
104 10/18/2000 9:58:27 PM 10/19/2000 Dan Solberg ddandman@aol.com What is a 1982 40' coach worth? I am considering purchasing a 1982 40" Newell Coach.
Some specs: 903 Cummins, Turbocharger, Jacobs Brake, 206 gal main fuel, 56 gal Aux fuel, 3 roof air cond., Gas/Elec. refrig, 100 lb. pullout freezer, Zip Dee awnings, Interior redone by Newell 7 years ago, Rear camera, Microwave, Toaster, Ice maker, safe, etc. Good Michelin tires. 90,000 miles. Good condition. Needs some interior updating. Can anyone tell me what it may be worth? Also, are there any characteristics about this model I would like or dislike? Do they start in the winter? How long will they last? Will I have a problem with corrosion of the body? How cold can it be before the water lines freeze with basement heat? Can I get parts? Can I get updates from Newell for the interior? If anyone owns this model or knows about it, I would really appreciate some feedback. Thank you!!!

-Bob Marley
Old 12-01-2012, 04:30 AM   #32
Neweller

Q
105 10/20/2000 7:03:32 AM 10/20/2000 Dave Jordan djordan@lk-oilfield.com Air Bags for 1976 Coach I would like to know if air bags can be installed on a 1976 model to improve the ride. Would it be a expensive major undertaking, or would it not be worth it on a coach this old? The coach was recently had the interior redone, the diesel rebuilt and a new Isuzu generator installed. I am trying to decide if I would be better off to purchase this coach or look for a newer model.

-Bob Marley
Old 12-01-2012, 04:30 AM   #33
Neweller

Q
106 10/20/2000 8:49:25 AM 10/20/2000 Newell Coach sales@newellcoach.com Air Bags for 1976 Coach You should understand some of the challenges. 1) The suspension under a 1976 is totally different than the air bag equipped coaches. Therefore, you would have to modify to chassis to accept a new suspension. This would require largely unpredictable, but certainly significant amount of labor by a skilled fabricator. 2) A complete air bag suspension would be costly, certainly in excess of $10,000 front and rear. 3) Some of the parts have been out of production for several years, so availability may be an issue. 4) When you were successfully finished, from a resale standpoint, you'd still have a 1976. A nice 1976, but a 1976 nevertheless. That having been said, some people do these kind of projects for the fun of it. But it would not be inexpensive, and the investment would not increase the value of the coach nearly as much as it would cost.

-Bob Marley
Old 12-01-2012, 04:31 AM   #34
Neweller

A
107 10/25/2000 7:18:50 PM 10/25/2000 Perry Burney easycarela@aol.com What is a 1982 40' coach worth? I have an 84 40ft. for sale at $97,500. Updated in 96.

-Bob Marley
Old 12-01-2012, 04:31 AM   #35
Neweller

A
108 10/27/2000 9:27:59 AM 10/27/2000 Newell Service service@newellcoach.com Chrome Illusion Paint Chrome Illusion paint is a two-stage (base coat, clear coat) product. It is a unique paint in that it reflects as different colors viewed from different angles. While the paint is not difficult to apply, your Newell requires a rather large paint booth. Also, typical of two-stage paints, the paint does not have the chip resistance of Newell's standard clear coated single-stage Imron, so it is not surprising that the Chrome Illusion needs a little touch up on the front after a year or two. Off-line, we understand you you might cover the refinished areas with the 3M clear protective shield product to improve the chip resistance. A good idea.

-Bob Marley
Old 12-01-2012, 04:31 AM   #36
Neweller

A
111 10/28/2000 9:23:03 PM 10/29/2000 Charlie Kokesh charlie@kokesh.com Satellite Data Connection When I travel, there are two satellite-related options that
would be a great plus:

1. In motion TV reception for the kids, and

2. In motion or stationary internet connection

I know that Hughes Electronics has an offering named
DirecPC or DirecDuo for internet connection.

Are there any competing options?

How do I find out exactly what satellite system was installed
in my coach when it was built?

What would it cost to upgrade to one of the newest in motion
systems?
at the factory?

-Bob Marley
Old 12-01-2012, 04:31 AM   #37
Neweller

Q
112 10/29/2000 10:21:13 AM 10/29/2000 Newell Engineering engineering@newellcoach.com Satellite Data Connection 1. So far, we have not seen anyone offer an in-motion system compatible with DirecPc or DirecDuo. This may be because so far, the data stream for these internet connections is only one way by satellite, download, with the upload via a phone line. We expect to see some interesting developments, but it is hard to predict the time frame.

2. The factory installed stationary systems in 1996 were Moto Sat. An in-motion system requires a complete change over of dish and satellite electronics, and would cost approximately $3500 - $4000.

-Bob Marley
Old 12-01-2012, 04:31 AM   #38
Neweller

A
117 10/30/2000 10:01:23 AM 10/30/2000 Carolynn Von Harten Greg127@ix.netcom.com 1969Newell coach I have a 1969 Newell that is in very good condition.
Ford chassis with a 460 marine engine, interior and exterior condition very good!! Would like to know the value of this year...any info would be helpful. Thanks.

-Bob Marley
Old 12-01-2012, 04:31 AM   #39
Neweller

Q
118 11/3/2000 7:01:07 AM 11/4/2000 Frank Aragona aragona@123.net Oil grades What oil grades do you recommend for the 8V92's and the Yanmar generators? I live near Detroit and drive down to Florida alot.

-Bob Marley
Old 12-02-2012, 05:42 AM   #40
Neweller

Q
119 11/4/2000 6:59:08 PM 11/5/2000 Charlie Kokesh charlie@kokesh.com Satellite Data Connection After purchasing a coach with an already installed small dish type satellite system, who do I contact for a programming subscription?

-Bob Marley