Lifetime Thousand Trails park Membership - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-11-2013, 09:16 PM   #1
Brewers

Default Lifetime Thousand Trails park Membership

Hi, While at Camping World, we were given an invitation for three days, two nights plus a $100 gas card to visit a Thousand Trails park. We just listened to the presentation which seems to offer alot. However, since we are green at this, we just are not sure we need to join. I would love to hear your opinions. They are offering a lifetime membership for less than $5,500 and $449 per year for maintenance. All opinions would be appreciated.

Brewers

Growing older is mandatory,
Growing up is entirely optional.
Remember, it's never too late to have a happy childhood.
Brewers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 10:13 PM   #2
prairieschooner

We joined last year on their Zone Pass. I would like to buy the full membership but so far the cost hasn't been warranted. I am sitting at a Thousand Trails Park as I type this and we like them. They aren't for everyone because they are not a 5 Star Resort, although the membership does allow a way to save $$$$. We looked at a few parks prior to deciding.

1982 Newell 38' (built before #1) 6V92 DD, 5 Speed Allison, 12.5 KW Kohler, Couch used to make into a Bed but I fixed it!
https://newellshowcase.com/thumbnails.php?album=214
2007 Yukon, 1981 CJ7 Laredo, 2002 Honda CRV, 1955 Thunderbird, 1952 Pontiac Sedan Delivery, 1952 Ford 8N, 1958 Airstream, 1959 Glasspar 16' Avalon, Cabin in the Woods........what will I work on next
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
prairieschooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 12:19 AM   #3
speedingsport

Like Steve and Tricia said check out a few parks before deciding. It's the only way you'll truly know if their parks will suit your needs. I have know a few people who have been very unhappy with their membership because they felt they didn't accommodate big rigs well and that they had many parks that were outdated.
speedingsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 01:37 AM   #4
NewellCrazy

IMHO Run, don't walk, away from that deal. Even at $25/night, and you can do better than that, $5500 buys over a year of camping and $449 buys nearly 3 weeks. I doubt you would ever get your money back in savings

If Ain't a Newell, It Ain't Wurt Oonin!
NewellCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 01:50 PM   #5
prairieschooner

Biggest issue for most of you would be the 30 Amp Service! I have been able to shift loads and use the propane to work well with only 30 Amps so there is no issue for us.
Here in So. California the average rates for public RV Parks are $40.00 + per day and most of the weekly rates are over $300.00. So the membership fee and maintenance fees work out if you use the system even though it will take a few years to overcome the investment. That membership allows 3 weeks in one park and then 3 weeks in the next park with NO TIME OUT! The Zone Pass that we have makes us leave their system for a week before we go into another TT Park. We are also members of Colorado River Adventures so we can bounce between the 2 of them. CRA is a similar buy in and similar maintenance fees, again if we use the system it works out for us.
Look into it, not for everyone but not everyone can use their parks.
1982 Newell 38' (built before #1) 6V92 DD, 5 Speed Allison, 12.5 KW Kohler, Couch used to make into a Bed but I fixed it!
https://newellshowcase.com/thumbnails.php?album=214
2007 Yukon, 1981 CJ7 Laredo, 2002 Honda CRV, 1955 Thunderbird, 1952 Pontiac Sedan Delivery, 1952 Ford 8N, 1958 Airstream, 1959 Glasspar 16' Avalon, Cabin in the Woods........what will I work on next
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
prairieschooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 04:06 PM   #6
The Newell

There are other options out there also, such as Passport America for I think $39/year which will give you 1/2 off at selected campgrounds, often good for only the first night.. Even at that most commercial campgrounds give a 10% discount for a Good Sam member or FMCA member, etc.

Home Base: Riverside, CA

If anyone needs my contact info private message me and I will send it to you.

-Joseph-
The Newell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 07:06 PM   #7
GypsyCliff

Passport America (Passport America Discount Camping Club - The Original 50% Discount Camping Club Since 1992) and Good Sam (Good Sam RV Club). We have both, There are no strings to a PA membership, just 50% off at member campgrounds. Current membership is $44/year. There may be restrictions, particularly in season, at some of the member campgrounds, but they are spelled out in the book (or CD) listings.

Cliff

1976 Newell Coach W/Cummins Engine
GypsyCliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 07:09 PM   #8
Brewers

Thanks for your replies I appreciate your input. We don't even know what we like at this point, want to try different locations, ie: beach, desert, woodland, etc. It might make sense for a fulltimer who wants to travel from park to park throughout the year and we are still up in the air on how we want to travel. Yes, there are some restrictions. We were hesitant, told them we would not make a decision without sleeping on it. Another of those "you can only get this special price if you do it today" deals--which usually make me hesitant anyway. Thanks again.

Growing older is mandatory,
Growing up is entirely optional.
Remember, it's never too late to have a happy childhood.
Brewers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 08:14 PM   #9
folivier

Passport America is by far the plan that has saved us the most. Last spring we stayed in Moab for 2 weeks at 1/2 price! Just booked a couple days in New Orleans and with first day 1/2 price (PA) and second day 10% off (GoodSam) that alone will pay for our yearly membership.
We do have a TT membership with southwest & northwest zones but have only stayed at the resort in Cottonwood, AZ so far. Steve is right about the limited 50amp hookups. We hope to use TT more this year. If not we'll just cancel.

1998 Newell 45' 2 slide #486
2004 Chevy Silverado Z71
2013 RZR 570LE

"You don't have a soul. You are a soul, you have a body." C.S.Lewis

https://www.luxurycoachlifestyle.com/...php?albumid=14
folivier is offline   Reply With Quote