Which is better - Aquahot, Proheat or Wesbasto's Water Heating Systems?? - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-03-2013, 11:50 PM   #1
lovemynewell

Default Which is better - Aquahot, Proheat or Wesbasto's Water Heating Systems??

I just found out from a service center in Texas that my Aqua-hot water heater is toast or not worth repairing. So that being said, a complete new unit is in order. I've been quoted $10,695.00 installed for a new replacement. Another shop I spoke with suggested going with the Wesbasto's unit for better savings and performance. While doing a small amount of research I find out there is a third option by ProHeat. I'm really kind of leaning away from the Aquahot system, it has not been ultra friendly to us since we have owned our Newell. Prefer some unbiased opinions here if possible.

lovemynewell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 12:31 AM   #2
Newell Attack

WOW! $10K aqua hot replacement cost? For a heater????? That's gotta hurt! Try and find a used aquahot.

Jeff & Leann Shackly
Newell Attack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 01:54 AM   #3
MrE

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemynewell View Post
I just found out from a service center in Texas that my Aqua-hot water heater is toast or not worth repairing. So that being said, a complete new unit is in order. I've been quoted $10,695.00 installed for a new replacement. Another shop I spoke with suggested going with the Wesbasto's unit for better savings and performance. While doing a small amount of research I find out there is a third option by ProHeat. I'm really kind of leaning away from the Aquahot system, it has not been ultra friendly to us since we have owned our Newell. Prefer some unbiased opinions here if possible.
You should probably add some information to your signature line letting us know what year your Newell is to enable more knowledgeable responses. That said, I have a ProHeat installed in my '86, but all it does is heat and circulate my antifreeze. Granted it is circulated to warm the engine, heat the water in my hot water heater and provide heat to the coach. I'm not familiar with all the functions of the Aqua-hot in your unit but if mine does everything that yours does...it does it a lot less expensive that your quote.
1986 40' Dog House #86
0 hp 8V92 Allison HT740
Soon to be 500hp ISM with ZF 6 Speed
MrE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 02:12 AM   #4
lovemynewell

I think I've updated it . It's an '04.
Old 04-04-2013, 02:15 AM   #5
Novice Traveler

that's a lot of cash most definitely, may i ask what failed on your aqua hot ???
Novice Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 03:23 AM   #6
Neweller

They sure don't give those systems away do they. Most people around here have the Aqua-Hot's, I personally am not all that knowledgeable on them but am willing to delve in on the subject to help you out. I know many owners who do have the Aqua-hot and I know others who have the Wabastos unit's, which I believe are much more common place on Wanderlodges and Bus Conversions. The Proheat is a good quality unit and used a bunch by trucking fleets do to being much more conservative on fuel consumption. I have a hunch the Proheat uses less fuel to accomplish the same good, but I will have to do some research and talk to some friends in the industry.

I would think putting an aquahot back in would be the easiest. Doesn't your system actually use some Wabastos components, I'm thinking the system I looked at in NewellCrazy's coach was a marriage of the two. I'll call my friend tomorrow and see what maybe I can find out. I'm also thinking maybe we can get a second opinion from another Aqua-Hot expert. I'm sending you a PM.
If you want to sell, PM or Private Message me. Thanks!

"I know I’m not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Neweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 03:31 AM   #7
Frenchy

I'm familiar with aqua hot but whats a proheat?
Frenchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 03:50 AM   #8
MrE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
I'm familiar with aqua hot but whats a proheat?
Proheat ? X45 Coach
1986 40' Dog House #86
0 hp 8V92 Allison HT740
Old 04-04-2013, 12:17 PM   #9
folivier

If you're near Houston give Rudy Leggett a call. He is an Aquahot service guy. 713-818-3234
1998 Newell 45' 2 slide #486
2004 Chevy Silverado Z71
2013 RZR 570LE

"You don't have a soul. You are a soul, you have a body." C.S.Lewis

https://www.luxurycoachlifestyle.com/...php?albumid=14
folivier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 02:50 PM   #10
MrE

I was doing a little surfing trying to gain knowledge on the Aqua-hots and ran across a post that was recommending ESPAR units. Here is a link to their product that I think would be most appropriate for our luxury coaches. Espar Heater Systems | A World of Comfort | School Bus
1986 40' Dog House #86
0 hp 8V92 Allison HT740
Old 04-04-2013, 03:46 PM   #11
Chester B. Stone, Jr.

Lovemynewell, your 04 is a reasonable new coach for the Aqua-Hot to not be repairable. Please let us know what caused the unit to fail and if there is anything we can do to keep from loosing ours.
2001 Newell #579
tow a 2011 Honda Odyssey
1935 Mercedes 500K replica
Chester B. Stone, Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 05:27 PM   #12
Neweller

I'm realizing there are a lot more options coming onto the scene with regards to these mobile based hydronic heating systems. With several different btu heating ranges. I see the Espar system MrE posted about has an RV or coach system that goes up to 55k btu's which I think would be good enough for any Newell owner. I also see a fair share of the ITR Oasis and Hurricane units out there, prices are probably comparable to the Aqua-Hot units. Would have to do some checking on the brands to see what the different pros and cons may be?

I don't even know the real life expectancy of the Aqua-Hots, yours being 9-10 years old maybe, depending on when the coach was originally sold. Is it rotted out, or mainly major component issues? Sounds like maybe it has had some serious use?

I sent you a PM, just give me a call I'd like to get some other particulars if it's too much to write.

"I know I’m not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Old 04-04-2013, 07:08 PM   #13
86loco

My brother's company has installed and worked on the Oasis and prefers them over the Aquahot due to simplicity and cost of maintainence. He really raves about the product and says when he gets my coach he will upgrade it with one.

Here is some information I just received from him.

• Patented no smoke no smell 50K BTU burner
  • Modular design for easier installation and access
  • Two 1500W electric elements for supplemental heating
  • Continuous on demand hot water
  • Automatic winter/summer control
  • Optional engine heat/waste heat interface
  • Domestic water temperature control
  • 14 x 14 x 30″ HWD, 81 lbs.
  • DM12 11 x 14 x 6.5″ HWD 29 lbs.

[ATTACH][/ATTACH]

My photo diagram is not the size I want. Its to small.

Click image for larger version

Name:	OasisDM12flowchartcutcopy1.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	13.2 KB
ID:	3789
Old 04-04-2013, 08:28 PM   #14
MrE

I have to thank the forum, this is some great information! I wasn't able to find any pricing on the Oasis CH50V, does anybody on the forum have access to that information?
1986 40' Dog House #86
0 hp 8V92 Allison HT740
Old 04-04-2013, 09:00 PM   #15
Neweller

Here is a video from back in 2000 on the ITR Hurricane, which I believe has been superseded by the later model Oasis like the CH50V Jon noted above for the luxury coach market etc... This video is a really impressive description of the product. It sounds amazingly easy to install and do service on the product. And they have a patent like Brady showed above for no smoke no smell. This will make any of your rving neighbors happy. I've heard when the aqua-hots getting to need service you can smoke or stink out your neighbors or soon to be complaining enemies.

[video=youtube;ZSukFPC6JK8]

-Bob Marley
Old 04-04-2013, 09:33 PM   #16
NewellCrazy

Get another opinion on your aqua-hot. I have been told on 2 separate occasions my Aqua Hot was toast. Both times it turned out to be a water line going into the aqua hot and another time in my Newell. Always seems repair shops want to replace something instead of fixing first. When I was searching for a rebuilt aqua-hot cheapest I located was Apx. $5,500 + 10 hours labor at $65/hr. I would get a second opinion for sure.

Sean

If Ain't a Newell, It Ain't Wurt Oonin!
NewellCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 01:18 AM   #17
Newellin Thunder

You can always elect instead to go with a brand new AquaHot 600D model ($13K!).

2005 Newell Thunder
Shakin the open road!
Newellin Thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 05:30 AM   #18
Gone Busing

We currently have the Webastos and it has pretty much been trouble free for us. We would gladly take either another just like it or the Oasis or Aquahot in our next coach.

Comparing Luxury Motor Coaches
Gone Busing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 01:01 PM   #19
77newell

Another option is getting a replacement Aqua-hot from Visone motorhome recyclers. They buy wrecks and motorhomes that have had fires.
2007 civic toad
77newell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 05:24 PM   #20
Will Procter

Myself, before I spent that kind of money I'd open that puppy up and see if I could repair it.

IMO anything is repairable,

Will

Detroit 60 Series 515 HP Engine

Some people call me the Space Cowboy
Will Procter is offline   Reply With Quote