Which Credit Card to use when traveling - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-24-2013, 03:38 PM   #1
WhitLock

Default Which Credit Card to use when traveling

We're anticipating going full-time in 4-6 months (can't wait!). I've got a discover card that gets lousy points and most camp grounds won't take discover anyways. I have a visa but it's tied to my banking account and I don't really want to use it. Curious what the community would recommend for a good credit card that both is widely accepted at most campgrounds and gets good points. I'm not worried about the APR since I pay our CC's off each month, but I'd like to get something that will benefit us.

WhitLock

Old 02-24-2013, 05:52 PM   #2
Ron in South Dakota

Not all campgrounds take a credit or debit card, so have some cash also, just in case you need it.
Old 02-24-2013, 08:20 PM   #3
cdat

I'm not full time, but I'd recommend you carry a card that gives a discount on fuel besides your regular one.
cdat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 08:48 PM   #4
Neweller

If you're filling up these super beasty rigs and you like to travel I would consider a air mileage card. I use couple of them since I fly periodically out of the country. One being an American Express with Delta rewards and I also really like the Miles by Discover. Then I have a Discover cashback bonus card that I can get up to $3 cashback that works out rather nicely with fueling my vehicles.

Food for thought.
If you want to sell, PM or Private Message me. Thanks!

"I know I’m not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Neweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 10:01 PM   #5
Newellin Thunder

We prefer using Amex when possible mainly because they are so easy to deal with a dispute compared to other cards. We have 2 different cards that give us 4-5% on fuel. 2% on travel including CG's and dining. Visa is our backup.

In addition to the card cash back:

Loves Rewards Card: 1% off cash price

Pilot FlyingJ Frequent Fueler Advantage Card

2005 Newell Thunder
Shakin the open road!
Newellin Thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 10:31 PM   #6
zcasa

Hey Whitlock:

Lots of choices based upon what works the best for the individual holder. We are like Ken, we like traveling internationally and for 70,000 points we get a Business Class ticket to Europe, which is worth close to $7,000. Great value. So we use a card tied into the airlines. There are websites that help you navigate the myriad of choices and benefits. Some cards offer 50,000 points just to sign up and waive the first year fee. Others, offer hotel points, like Marriott. Still others offer cash rebates, trip insurance, low price guarantees, comprehensive and collision insurance on rental cars, no foreign transaction fees, etc. Honestly, one must be retired just to keep up with this stuff. lol. Good luck on your future adventures when you hit the road. Life is good.

David
zcasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 01:15 AM   #7
DavidBall

PenFed 5% on Fuel when you swipe it.
Old 02-25-2013, 06:08 PM   #8
NEWELLWIZARD

Another thing to think about is if you plan on traveling out of the country as well. You will want to consider one that you can take to and use with no problem in Mexico or Canada. There are a few on here to who travel and live in both. Maybe they can give some good input on what they use for payments.
NEWELLWIZARD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 10:34 PM   #9
Chester B. Stone, Jr.

I travel in both Mexico and the US. I use a Schwab Visa debit card in both countries because they refund any ATM charges. I use the Flying J card for diesel due to the 6 cent per gallon discount and the pump at the RV site is unlimited.

2001 Newell #579
tow a 2011 Honda Odyssey
1935 Mercedes 500K replica
Chester B. Stone, Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote