Light Tape - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-31-2010, 08:32 PM   #1
RussWhite

Default Light Tape

The legends for many of my switches and controls are back lit by a tape that produces a blue light. The level is adjustable for a group of legends with a potentiometer located in the panel. I think the technology is electroluminescence. An adjustable AC voltage is applied to one end of the tape and light escape through one side while the tape is held to the panel with an adhesive. Anyway, one of mine has failed and now only sparks ominously occasionally. Has anyone else had to replace a piece of tape? If so, can you make any suggestions about where I can purchase the tape. Has this lighting system been reliable for most of you?

Thanks,
Russ

RussWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 09:40 PM   #2
jwe648

Default May help

Good they didn't use the EL panels that would be a bit pricey.

This company sells the tape & power supplies. and have sample kits in both AC & DC .. this may be enough for your task it includes the power supply.. http://www.lighttape.com/

In aircraft I've found that it usually the power supply that goes first..

Regards..

Old 07-31-2010, 09:47 PM   #3
RussWhite

Thanks Jimmy,

I had managed to stumble upon the company you referenced. I will give the parts guy at Newell a chance to comment on Monday and take it from there. Power supply in my case to just fine and I only need the tape for now.

Thanks, Russ
Old 08-01-2010, 04:46 AM   #4
jwe648

Default one more source

Here is one more source for the strips. http://www.aircraftspruce.com/menus/...tlighting.html

Jimmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussWhite View Post
Thanks Jimmy,

I had managed to stumble upon the company you referenced. I will give the parts guy at Newell a chance to comment on Monday and take it from there. Power supply in my case to just fine and I only need the tape for now.

Thanks, Russ
Old 08-01-2010, 11:29 AM   #5
rheavn

Russ,
I too have one I need to fix. Just hadn't put it high on my list yet. I'll be interested in your resolution. How did you determine the tape failed & not the power supply? Where is the power supply located? The tape that failed in mine is in the bedroom on rear side.

Thanks in advance..................
Old 08-01-2010, 05:50 PM   #6
RussWhite

Steve,

I will follow up with how it works out. I determined the power supply was okay by checking the control voltage on the wiper of the potentiometer and observing if I held the tape just right it would illuminate and I could control the level of light. When released it would spark at the area of the defect in the tape. I am curious if the tape will come with a sticky side and can easily be placed back in service. Later, Russ
Old 08-25-2010, 05:20 PM   #7
RussWhite

Default Followup on Light Tape Repairs

I have repaired my failed light tape at the bedside table. Newell no longer uses this type panel lighting, but fortunately it is still manufactured. Newell was not able to find any remaining parts in their inventory. The following is to the best of my knowledge at this time - August, 2010.

Product manufactured by Californeon. They have a web site www.californeon.com and the preside is J.R. Zimmerman and his email is JRZ@californeon.com The supplier I used is a distributor for the product and their web site is www.infiniteinnovations.com Tech support there is by Galen Floyd with email GFloyd@infiniteinnovations.com and product may be purchased by contacting Amanda Gourley and her email is AmandaG@infiniteinnovations.com

I purchased tape, connectors, translucent color strip to make the white light the color I wanted and inverters. Newell has used the Illumin8r voltage controller to adjust the voltage into the inverter so the level of light produced by the tape is totally adjustable from off to full brightness. The little inverter outputs about 300 or so volts at 1750HZ ( IIRC ), so be careful what you touch.
Old 08-30-2010, 03:18 PM   #8
rheavn

Russ,
Just wanted to let you know that I fixed the blue neon tape light in my bedroom. In my case it was the light inverter that failed which was located under the corresponding night stand. I thank you for posting the parts availability & location as it was very helpful. It just so happened that the distributing company, Infinite Innovations, is local to me so I was able to pick up the parts in person. The company was also helpful.
For others who might be trying to solve the same problem Russ had provided me with the part numbers for the lighting system. They are: ELP-0120 for the neon light strip/ELP-0121 for the light strip inverter/ELP-0122 for the Lite strip connector/ELP-0125-12 for the exotic blue neon tape roll. Parts came with instructions. There is enough of the light strip & blue neon tape to do many light systems. The weak link is usually the inverter or the connector. The fix took about 30 minutes & the cost was $60. Since I have left over tape if I have to fix another one I will only need an inverter & connector at a cost of $21.

I hope this helps someone else..........................