50 Amp - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-04-2008, 02:59 AM   #1
SNyberg

Default 50 Amp

Ok, I cannot seem to get both legs of the 50 amp working. When on shore power or generator I am missing one side. What am I missing?

SNyberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 05:44 AM   #2
fulltiming

A little troubleshooting is in order here. If you are only getting one leg of power from either shore power or generator, the first thing I would check is the main breaker. Sometimes one leg will partially trip and not be completely tripped so the other leg is still functional. Try turning the main breaker off and then back on.

If you coach is like mine, there are lights on the transfer switch in the bay that show that both legs have power coming in. Are these illuminated? I also have lights above the drivers seat to show that all legs have power. The main power should run directly from the transfer switch in the bay to the power/breaker box inside. The main 50 amp breakers should be easily identified. Mine says MAIN on it. It could be a defective breaker if you have power coming into the breaker box on both legs and don't have power to any of the circuits on one leg.

Give us a little more detail and we will try to help out. What year model is your Newell? When did you notice that you had a dead leg? Were you using anything in the coach at the time that is a heavy power draw?

Do you have a listing of which outlets/appliances are on each circuit? I highly recommend that once you get the power restored, you make a listing to help troubleshoot electrical issues in the future. On my coach L1 is the front passenger side AC, the mid-coach AC, the electric water heater, the washer/dryer and one leg of the 240v cooktop and the outlets on the passenger side of the coach. L2 services the front drivers side AC, the bedroom AC, the ice maker, the battery charger, microwave, kitchen outlets, 120v air compressor, outlets on the drivers side of the coach and the other leg of the 240v cooktop.

1992 Newell 43.5' #281
8V92 DDEC-2, HT740
PT Cruiser GT with Remco Transmission Pump
https://newellowner.com/newell-photos/
fulltiming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 03:04 AM   #3
SNyberg

Mr. Day,

Thanks for the help. Problem found and corrected. Traced back from 50 amp outlet. Had both legs into the main panel. Started checking the lines past the panel and I found something in the bottom of the closet. Two more circuit breakers. You know, things work better when all of the breakers on switched on. Doh!
SNyberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 10:19 PM   #4
zcasa

Hello:

So, we have seen these 50 amp surge protectors that are around $400 to be placed between shorepower and the coach when hooked up. Are these recommended for our Newells? I see that they even have a locking mechanism to prevent theft.

Thanks for your help.

David
zcasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 10:39 PM   #5
folivier

Neat idea. I have surge protectors mounted in my panel box in my house. I bought them from Deltasurgeprotectors.com
I wonder if they would work on our Newells? (they're much cheaper)
1998 Newell 45' 2 slide #486
2004 Chevy Silverado Z71
2013 RZR 570LE

"You don't have a soul. You are a soul, you have a body." C.S.Lewis

https://www.luxurycoachlifestyle.com/...php?albumid=14
folivier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 10:42 PM   #6
encantotom

I have this system in my coach.

An Electrical managment system that includes a voltage, surge and other protection.

works great. mine is the b version so one earlier than this one, but essentially the same.

http://www.progressiveindustries.net/ems_hw50c.htm

tom

https://www.newellclassic.com/forum/album.php?albumid=8
encantotom is offline   Reply With Quote