Please Help With Our Trip Planning - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-04-2012, 07:38 PM   #1
RussWhite

Default Please Help With Our Trip Planning

If things work out, this summer ( 2012 ) my daughter and I will tour the west in the Newell towing a Jeep Liberty. My coach is a forty five footer so our number one concern is planning places to visit and stay that can accomodate us with a little extra room so we don't have to get it just perfect to get in

I think there are many forum members from the west and I am sure hoping you all will chime in with your recommendations of things to see and places to stay. I am looking for tips and suggestions and will do all the research for the details. What are your favorite parks that accomodate our sized rigs easily? Are there some special roads with good scenery, yet wide and safe? Oh, and what roads would you suggest avoiding - that can be very important too. We really got beat up on the way back from Phoenix when we were on I40.

We are farily tolerant of warm weather, but how would you do the loop? We are leaving from Tennessee near the end of May for about three months, should we go out staying south and return through the north?

Looking forward to your thoughts!

Thanks,
Russ

RussWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 08:23 PM   #2
rheavn

Russ,
I hope you & your daughter are planning to pass through the Branson, Missouri area. There is a very nice Outdoor Resorts, but why not just come to the Bare farm as we have full hook ups and its free!

Old 04-05-2012, 03:48 PM   #3
tuga

Russ,

We love the Western US. The Rockies are second to none!

Coming from Tennessee I would recommend I-70 thru Kansas and then into the Denver area. I don't know what you two like but Breckenridge (Tiger Run RV Resort) is nice if you can handle the altitude (9800' ASL). From Breck you can go to Creede or Pagosa Springs (Wolf Creek Run RV Resort) or Durango (Alpen Rose RV park). From the Durango area you can visit Silverton/Ouray. Matt Russo and Ron Skeen crossed the continental divide by 4 wheeler (you can rent one). They left from Ouray and rode trails over the CD down to Telluride. Matt said it was a beautiful ride.

Utah is gorgeous - I was really surprised when we drove thru the state. Bryce Canyon NP, Archers NP, Zoin NP, and Lake Powell are some of the coolest parts of the state. If you are into geneology, go to Salt Lake City and browse thru the Morman ancestory records. If you head north you can visit Yellowstone NP and Grand Teton NP (Grizzley RV Park).

I don't know how much time you plan to travel, but this itinerary should take about 3 weeks. Glacier NP in Montana is the most beautiful NP I have ever seen. The Going to the Sun road is at the top of the list. Awesome!

Hope this helps some.
Coach #512
2005 Pilot
tuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 12:49 AM   #4
MarkofSJC

Tuga beat me to it ~ Utah area (especially around St. George) should NOT be missed. Plus Las Vegas is less than 2 hours from there, for a polar opposite experience (with a uber nice RV resort in Las Vegas to boot.).

Another area that's really beautify is the Central CA coast...spectacular, easy driving and very scenic. Zillions of wineries in the Paseo Robles area as well.

Mark
MarkofSJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 01:06 AM   #5
tuga

Good point Mark, California coast is beautiful. We have yet to drive thru Oregon and Washington state; can't wait for that trip. It will have to be next summer ~ we are busy with weddings this summer. Bummer!

Why does there have to be 87 parties BEFORE the wedding?
Coach #512
2005 Pilot
Old 04-10-2012, 01:06 AM   #6
RussWhite

Thanks Everyone!

Mark - Utah has been highly recommended and is already way up on our list.

What park in Vegas do you suggest?

Frankly, we are a bit nervous about California. The possibility of heavy traffic combined with what I assumed would be narrow coastal roads has us very worried. I would like considerable real estate between me and a sheer cliff!
Keep the ideas coming.

Russ
Old 04-10-2012, 01:16 AM   #7
tuga

Russ,

When I drove thru California I found that as long as I drove "with the traffic" which on I-10 was about 60-65 I could put on my blinker and the traffic would let me change lanes. It really was no big deal. We drove across the Golden Gate bridge in the coach pulling toad with no problems (it was at 9 AM Saturday morning) but still it wasn't bad.

I know I'll get ragged for this but the people in California KNOW HOW TO DRIVE! When you put that blinker on to change lanes they will let you thru ~ but don't waste any time ~ move over quickly.

I agree with you I would stay off of the 101 Pacific Coast Hiway ~ save that one for the tow car. And whatever you do stay OFF OF THE 405! That is a moving parking lot!

We stayed at Malibu RV park and drove all over Los Angeles in the tow car; it wasn't bad.

How long are you going to stay out West?
Coach #512
2005 Pilot
Old 04-10-2012, 01:28 AM   #8
encantotom

we drove the 90 from vancouver to san francisco on the 1. by then i had enough and went inland. then we caught it back south of san simeon. (we drove it north of san simeon on our older executive and that was a trip my family will never forget. miles of cars honking at us and my whole young family car sick) i am not sure you could even make it with our big rigs pulling a car.

tom

https://www.newellclassic.com/forum/album.php?albumid=8
encantotom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 01:36 AM   #9
RussWhite

Tom - you crack me up! I want my trip to be unforgettable, but NOT in that way

Tuga - we plan a three month adventure and know they will fly by.

Russ
Old 04-10-2012, 02:25 AM   #10
prestadude

I suggest hitting Williams, Arizona (on Highway 40). Stay at the Grand Canyon Railway RV Park. The park is new but the sites are not big enough for your rig plus the Jeep. You will have to disconnect your Jeep at checkin and then park it in a parking stall right in the RV Park. I camped there with my 45 footer and was able to get it into the space without a hassle, and I am not that experienced in driving these big things around. There are two really neat things about this spot. Williams itself is on old Highway 66 and the downtown area, although small, is packed with good restaurants and stores, many with a Highway 66 theme. I was there in early October and the place was really hopping in terms of night life. The second very neat thing is the Grand Canyon Railway. There are daily trains to and from the Grand Canyon. The train depot is just a short stroll from the RV Park. Williams is at an elevation of 6,800 feet so it is considerably cooler than the lower elevations of Arizona.
prestadude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 03:33 AM   #11
RussWhite

Tim and Laura,

Thanks - that sounds fun and doable for us. The campground made the Big Rigs Best Bets book so we will unhook as you suggest and setup there to see the Grand Canyon via the train. These suggestions are ever so helpful and much appreciated.
Russ
Old 04-10-2012, 01:46 PM   #12
Brad Townsend

You might want to check out Harvest Host
http://www.harvesthosts.com/ Free camping with lots of room in the country settings of Vineyards etc.
We will be hosting in the Ashley National Forest at Flaming Gorge Utah this year if you would like to stop by.

Brad
1988 40 ft 8v92 TA
2012 Toyota FJ Cruiser,1990 Jeep Cherokee 4/WD now a desert rat
25 ft Haulmark trailer
730 watt solar panels, Full timing.
Brad Townsend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 03:02 PM   #13
prairieschooner

A bit of advice, try to travel outside of commuter times. I live here and it can be harrowing just driving a car let alone a big rig. The same person that will cut you off in rush hour wold be courteous when they are not worried about being late for work. I use this thought religiously but still have to be alert.
I echo that PCH (Route 1) would not be a good choice, just ask Matt!.
1982 Newell 38' (built before #1) 6V92 DD, 5 Speed Allison, 12.5 KW Kohler, Couch used to make into a Bed but I fixed it!
https://newellshowcase.com/thumbnails.php?album=214
2007 Yukon, 1981 CJ7 Laredo, 2002 Honda CRV, 1955 Thunderbird, 1952 Pontiac Sedan Delivery, 1952 Ford 8N, 1958 Airstream, 1959 Glasspar 16' Avalon, Cabin in the Woods........what will I work on next
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
prairieschooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 05:48 PM   #14
folivier

Got to Cottonwood, Az yesterday for 3 weeks. Spent 3 weeks in Utah, Moab, Goblin Valley, over to Panguitch, the down to Lake Powell. Utah is beautiful! Lake Powell is really nice also.
1998 Newell 45' 2 slide #486
2004 Chevy Silverado Z71
2013 RZR 570LE

"You don't have a soul. You are a soul, you have a body." C.S.Lewis

https://www.luxurycoachlifestyle.com/...php?albumid=14
folivier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 09:06 PM   #15
Bikestuff

Forest,

I hope you had fun in Moab. Those rock formations are out of this world. Did you stay in a campground? I will be headed there in the fall and this will be the first time with the coach.

Cheers,
bill
Coach #653 2003 powered by C12 Cat, BMW R1100GS, FJ Cruiser
Bikestuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 01:28 AM   #16
RussWhite

Forest,

Good to hear from you. Any good campgrounds that you would like to recommend?

Thanks, Russ
Old 04-11-2012, 01:54 AM   #17
folivier

Spanish Trail Campground in Moab is nice, they gave us the Passport America 50% discount for 2 weeks. Wahweap campground at Lake Powell is really nice. Enjoy your trip, we will fly home in late May and leave the coach in Cottonwood. Going to Europe in August, might fly out in the fall for a month or 2, then in spring 2013 head over to south California and travel up towards Washington.
Bill, I did sunrise and sunset guide with Jon Fuller. Really nice guy and gave me some nice tips.
1998 Newell 45' 2 slide #486
2004 Chevy Silverado Z71
2013 RZR 570LE

"You don't have a soul. You are a soul, you have a body." C.S.Lewis

https://www.luxurycoachlifestyle.com/...php?albumid=14
folivier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 12:14 PM   #18
prairieschooner

We stayed at the Arch View Resort on our back from Crede, CO. We got a site with unrestricted views of the arches, when I woke up I saw the sun rise through one! Besdie from that it wasn't much of a resort but I would stay there again.
I don't know the names of them but there are places along the river that looked amazing. Not sure how many would be Dry-Camping but next time through I will have to try that.
1982 Newell 38' (built before #1) 6V92 DD, 5 Speed Allison, 12.5 KW Kohler, Couch used to make into a Bed but I fixed it!
https://newellshowcase.com/thumbnails.php?album=214
2007 Yukon, 1981 CJ7 Laredo, 2002 Honda CRV, 1955 Thunderbird, 1952 Pontiac Sedan Delivery, 1952 Ford 8N, 1958 Airstream, 1959 Glasspar 16' Avalon, Cabin in the Woods........what will I work on next
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
prairieschooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 04:12 PM   #19
MarkofSJC

Just a note in defense of CA -- we do have a lot of people (and seemingly even MORE vehicles), but as far a traffic it's really no big deal** It's not unusual to have a freeway with 5 ~ 6 lanes going in the same direction. If you're not pulling anything, we also have an excellent car pool lane that with just a driver and a passenger you're entitled to use ~ and they're really excellent (but big ticket if you're pulling something!).

** That's assuming you're not trying to drive somewhere with traffic at peak rush hour! Hey, you're on vacation anyway...why join the rat race? Leave them alone as they scurry through the maize!.

Google "LA Traffic" and you can see real time traffic, which also lists speeds (note how much higher speeds the carpools generally are running!).

Just my two cents!
MarkofSJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 11:07 AM   #20
larryweikart

Just passed thru Miami Ok. on our way home! BE AWARE, if traveling North on I-44 there is a VERY dangerous detour at exit 47. (in Mo. just before you get to St. Louis) During evening hours, (not sure of exact times, but believe it is between 11pm and 6am) the entire North lane is shut down and the detour takes you down a road that is not designed for big rigs. We were caught in this and had no alternative but to take the detour. 3hr backup and could be longer as some big rigs have difficulty in making some turns and their rear wheels drop off of the road and a tow truck needs to tow them out. If you see the flashing warnings, prior to getting to MM47, get your map out and find an alternate route.

1994 Newell #365 w/Corvette, 2002 streetrod 34 ford golf cart, 2009 Smart Car, 1958 Century Coronado, 1965 Cruisers Inc, CAR & BOAT CRAZY! LOVE OUR NEWELL!
larryweikart is offline   Reply With Quote