? regarding your tv/cable network - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-04-2012, 05:22 PM   #1
leskorcala@hotmail.com

Default ? regarding your tv/cable network

Hello,
I have question to teh full timers who are using some sort of cable/satlite networke sytem!
We are going on the road for about 5 years ( start in July ) and wanted to get some more info on what we need to sue as far as TV /Phone nework

I have several qestions you might have the tips for us:

We own 2001 Newell ( 2 slides ) with Wingard system.
We what is the best service up there ( works the best )

Dish VS direct TV , the are the only I know of:

We love the Universal Channel 115 ( Olimpic sports, pro cycling Tour De France etc. ) love that channel!

Also I have question regarding BroadBand service, we are photographers and will be setting up small studio in our coach and I need to find the system wich would allow us to process ( move lots of big files ) when I upload to our website we can use around 20 Gig of space !

So far we have Vorizon with max of 10 Gig per month, problem is its very slow conection! are there any aftermarket systems or services up there to move lots of files way faster!!! perhaps I could up to 2 - 10 Gigs its around $160 to double the size , but again its very slow!

Thank you so much for any tips you might have for us.

We are taking our small buisness on the road working on teh weekends where parks and other recreations are full of people and play durring the week, hope it work out for us!

Best Regards,

Les & Chery Korcala

Newell 2001 # 582 two slides
Co-motion Tnadem
Basha & M'kala two Rhodesian Ridgebacks

leskorcala@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 06:06 PM   #2
encantotom

hi les,

the folks that are full timers will be able to give you the best answers. but a few things for you to think about on internet.

1. 4g (LTE) mobile internet is as fast as a decent home connection. if it is available where you are. i just did a speedtest on my phone and got 6-9mb down, but 1m or so up. uploading on mobile broadband will be slow. in some cities i get 20m down and 3-5m up. mesa is not as fast.

2. you can get a dedicated broadband card for your laptop or tether off of your cell phone. there are a variety of ways to tether....i wont elaborate here. with varying costs....

3. satellite is slow, expensive and you have to be stationary and the equipment is expensive. however, you can get service anywhere you have sky access. michael day is the king of this system. he knows it inside and out.

4. broadband providers HATE users that use a lot of bandwidith. they have been eliminating unlimited bandwidth plans (i have it on mine from verizon but who knows for how long). the way they punish you is once you hit a certain bandwidth they start slowing you down. if you have limits on your bandwidith then they will charge you outrageous amounts of money too. verizon only slows you down if you are on a cell that is at capacity, but others providers will slow you down to dialup speeds once you use too much. the slowdowns are for unlimited plans. the limited plans will not slow you down because they will charge you....

5. when you start talking 20gig of uploading you are talking a lot of time and you will get slapped for fees. 20g of total up and down is an awful lot. usually only those that are streaming or downloading video use that much.

6. rv parks typically have terrible wifi. some are good but not that many.

7. you might consider free wifi sites. like alot of restaurants have.

lots of bandwidth and low cost are going to become polar opposites real soon if not already.

as for tv, i think it is preference. OTA using your antenna as long as you have a digital tv or converter box is free and high quality when in metro areas.

tom

https://www.newellclassic.com/forum/album.php?albumid=8
encantotom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 07:58 PM   #3
folivier

Good luck on the uploads! We're 2 weeks into our multi-year travels and already feeling isolated.
Sports photography? I did that for a few years then finally shut my business down and concentrate mostly on landscape for my own enjoyment.
I'd love to talk photography if we can meet up sometime. We're in Ft. Davis, TX now and plan to see Utah, Arizona, California, Oregon, Washington, then start heading east.
1998 Newell 45' 2 slide #486
2004 Chevy Silverado Z71
2013 RZR 570LE

"You don't have a soul. You are a soul, you have a body." C.S.Lewis

https://www.luxurycoachlifestyle.com/...php?albumid=14
folivier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 08:37 PM   #4
chockwald

For TV I recommend DirecTV....they seem to be more RV/fulltimer friendly than Dish. We have had DirecTV for 8 years now, and love it!!! We have a DVR, and our Winegard crank up dish has two LNB's so we are able to record a program while watching another. We love it and wouldn't switch for anything. For Broadband each of our Verizon phones provides a hotspot to which you can connect up to 3, or 4 users...I forget. So far 2000 miles into our adventure we have had no problem uploading and downloading pictures. We have used free WiFi a lot....at the park we are at today we are picking of Lowe's Guest WiFi across the freeway....20mbps and higher. The park has free WiFi too, but this was easier than connecting to their Tengonet. Our last 3 hosts have provided free WiFi. To boost a weak WiFi signal I plug in a Hawking Dish to my USB port....doubles to triples the signal strength. Not using it today.
2002 Thunderbird Retro
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Cannondale F600
2 Terra Trike Tadpoles
Intense 5.5 mountain bike
ALBUM: https://newellshowcase.com/thumbnails.php?album=213
chockwald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 02:07 AM   #5
leskorcala@hotmail.com

thanks you guys for all teh wealth of great information! I think with evey year changings in how we use the internet or watch TV it will become easier to conect or use several options , lets hope so!
Clarke, what clever idea, have to ask you what is the Hawking Dish ? do I need this or could I use our Winegard, we are so new in thsi that it becomes comples process!

As I said I will be on the road and most of teh photography business we do is at teh big fairgrounds and some convention centers so it might be another idea how move large files.
We are dog photographers and do cover dogs shows, dog agility , lure coursing and more! we take in acess of 5000-7000 images per weekend event, so there is lot of work to procees all and takes lot of broadbend.

processing itself can be done at teh park or whereever all I nee dis electricty, but whan we are ready to move our folders to our webside and my images are 800x700 pixels so moving say 3000 of them takes lot of time!

thank you again for great tips, we still have several months to set all up!

Best,

Les
leskorcala@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote