Newell business increasing - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-07-2011, 09:44 PM   #1
afrench45

Default Newell business increasing

We are traveling with some friends currently who own an 04' Vantare. They were recently at a Prevost rally and said that all the dealers said that most people were switching to Newell. Due to the fact that many convertors are not in business now they lack support which we all know Newell is best in the business. I was glad to hear this because that's more business for Newell but hopefully that will keep values on used coaches high!

afrench45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 03:55 AM   #2
encantotom

that is great news on the people moving to newells. however, i personally believe that the prices on used coaches (at least of ten year old vintage and more) is still very depressed. and will be for a while at the least. alot of coaches are advertised high, but they are available forever.

as wally says.....thats my two cents worth....and i am stickin to it.

tom

https://www.newellclassic.com/forum/album.php?albumid=8
encantotom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 04:29 AM   #3
lbrachfe

I understand that Marathon just closed it's CA facility. Newell offers a product that appeals to experienced coach owners and I hope they will always maintain there high standards.
lbrachfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 12:58 PM   #4
HoosierDaddy

To add to Tom's comment. I hear it is very difficult to obtain financing on any RV over 10 years old.
1993 Newell 45'#316, 1976 Trans Am 455, 1967 GTO, 1953 Chevrolet 3105 (panel truck),1952 Chevrolet 3600,1969 Airstream Overlander. Always fixing something!
HoosierDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 12:56 PM   #5
jack14r

I do think that Newell is positioned well,not totally from what they did but some of their competitors in the racing world (Featherlite and Marathon) have faltered and as a result there are fewer places to purchase the type of coach that would work for a racer.Featherlite was sold just before it went bankrupt and the new owner Amadas does not seem to have production going well at this time,Marathon is building very few coaches and just closed their California location,I think that Marathon may not survive at their current production rate.The two in the Prevost product arena that are doing well are Liberty and Millennium but their product never is sold to the racers,I think that both of these are just too expensive for that crowd.I have talked with several coach drivers in Nascar and they feel like the Newell has more space but the Prevost drives better,the buyer,the race car driver could care less how the coach drives,he wants space and a lower initial cost and Newell delivers on both of these.From my count there were 150+ prevost converted 6 years ago and about 40-50 ths year.
jack14r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 06:51 PM   #6
rheavn

I spoke with Tommy Key at Newell service today. He stated that service has been swamped & has been working overtime for the last three weeks. A heads up to anyone who might be going to Newell for service, Mr Key suggested making your appointment early.
Old 10-18-2011, 11:44 PM   #7
express1

I must say Steve, being swamped and working overtime is not always a good thing. There may be reasons for so much repair or service work. Again, this is my view from being in the automotive service business for nearly 40 yrs. there are reasons....... Someone once said that about Tiffin. "Great Service, long lines."
express1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 11:23 PM   #8
ashley

Send a message via AIM to ashley

Service at Newell is not that great. Lots of inexperienced workers on the coaches and supervised by long time people, but my experience is not good. Last visit I told them had a water a leak in the living room slide.After leaving there, only 1 week later, the seal broke. The seal was not attached in two places about 10 inches where I told them I had the leak. They never checked the seal, if they had, it would not have broken. This cost me 4000 dollars needlessly.What idiot would not check the seal! It broke where it was detached. There are lot of other issues, but this was the greatest. We live in the coach,called tommy, told me they could get to it in a month. Great Service!!!!!
ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 02:47 AM   #9
prairieschooner

sounds like growing pains.
This is unexpected and I am sure is not reflective on the company as a hole or at least I hope so.
We have an '82 and not too many parts are available but the experience that I have ha has been positive overall.
1982 Newell 38' (built before #1) 6V92 DD, 5 Speed Allison, 12.5 KW Kohler, Couch used to make into a Bed but I fixed it!
https://newellshowcase.com/thumbnails.php?album=214
2007 Yukon, 1981 CJ7 Laredo, 2002 Honda CRV, 1955 Thunderbird, 1952 Pontiac Sedan Delivery, 1952 Ford 8N, 1958 Airstream, 1959 Glasspar 16' Avalon, Cabin in the Woods........what will I work on next
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
prairieschooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 03:36 AM   #10
Wally Arntzen

Sorry you had such a bad experience. I have never had any problems with them and always had the work done well and on time. I would never hesitate to go in for service of any kind.
1988 Newell Coach #163
40' with tag 8V92
Wally Arntzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 12:03 PM   #11
rheavn

My experience with Newell service has been like Wally's. I have only had one fix fail and they fixed it a second time without charging me. I always ask any one who works on my coach how long they have been at Newell and the youngest tech who worked on my coach had 11 yrs. When I have paid Newell to do a job I have also gotten an education on how to do the job in the future. Case in point is the gas shock tool that they had no problem with me photographing so I could make my own. Newell charges me less than my local bus company, lets me watch them work on the coach, ask questions and gives me a free campsite. My evaluation is very positive!
Old 11-23-2011, 12:54 PM   #12
tuga

I have had nothing but good experiences at Newell for 20 years. The work was done on time and right the first time. I've had terrible service at 2 other repair shops; one in Slidell, LA and the other one in Houston.

Whenever my coach needs service I'll be in Miami, OK.

I find Newell's hourly rate below the competition and the techs that work on my coach are the same ones that worked on my first Newell back in 1992.

You can't please everybody all the time, and I certainly understand ashley's frustration. It's hell to spend $4,000 and still have the same problem. My suggestion would be to call John Clarke and tell him your problems. He is the head of service, and I am sure that he wants your problems solved quickly and fairly. There is nothing worse than an unsatisified customer.

About a week after service is performed on a Newell a questionaire is sent to the customer. Here is where you can express your satisfaction/dissatisfaction with your service work. This questionaire is mailed directly to Karl Blade, owner of Newell Coach. I know that you are fulltime so maybe you did not recieve a questionaire, if not call Newell and request one be mailed to you. Fill it out and mail it back.

I think you will be happy with the results.
Coach #512
2005 Pilot
tuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 02:01 PM   #13
rheavn

The questionnaires do get attention. I fill them out and try to be brutally honest, while offering suggestions. I never hear back when my comments are all positive. I made one negative comment and received a telephone call within a few days wanting more details and explaining how they took immediate action to correct the issue.
Old 12-07-2011, 05:38 PM   #14
JohnC

Quote:
Originally Posted by express1 View Post
I must say Steve, being swamped and working overtime is not always a good thing. There may be reasons for so much repair or service work. Again, this is my view from being in the automotive service business for nearly 40 yrs. there are reasons....... Someone once said that about Tiffin. "Great Service, long lines."
Good point Express 1. but in this particular case and unlike most automotive service shops, Newell service also offers a number of upgrades and interior renovations. We also support new and used coach sales, and recently more and more owners are asking for significant upgrades, including new paint, carpet, upholstery, suspension upgrades, etc.

Normally, when the weather turns cold, the appointment requests slow down, but this morning the temperature outside was 17 degrees, yet tonight we are doing overtime to keep up with customer demand. Not only has Newell become the #1 luxury coach manufacturer (for 1 million plus coaches) , but if I'm not mistaken, I believe we produced more coaches this year than all other luxury coach manufacturers combined.

We have also picked up the Airstream coach line, so my plate has been a tad full lately, and I have not been perusing the Newell classic forum as often as I should.

John
JohnC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 02:53 AM   #15
MarkofSJC

John, well said!
And the "proof it in the pudding" as I've been amazed at how quickly the 2012's listed on line have sold. I happen to look at them last week, I think there were two left...today ~ sold out!

I'd attribute that to not just the vehicle, but the entire "package" ~ thorough engineering throughout every aspect, working with customer's desires & needs, a solid, knowlegable staff that really seem to care about things on a deep level. I'm not currently (or yet!) a Newell owner, but any call or e-mail to Newell has been welcomed and answered completely. In the boom times, it's hard not to do well, but during leaner times, you tend to just do business with the people you really want to do business with. Newell makes that really easy, which is certainly refreshing from my experience.

Mark

MarkofSJC is offline   Reply With Quote