Generator cooling system 81 12.5kw D kohler - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-20-2008, 06:52 PM   #1
gstarkie@utah.gov

Default Generator cooling system 81 12.5kw D kohler

OK, I think I'm figuring this site out.
back to my generator cooling system, there is no radiator in the front generator compartment. there are two large hoses,supply and return from the generator compartment to the engine radiator. the hoses are connected to two 1" pipes under the coach they are open to the atmosphere probably to assist in cooling. When the generator is running a 110v pump in the engine compartment runs to assist the water pump on the generator facilitating circulation, also a 110v blower similar to a standard squirrell cage runs blowing air through the main radiator presumably to keep it cooling at maximum this fan and the circulation pump also run when the engine is running. I think that I've figured out the system and replacing the hoses is doable but I'm sure it won't be fun.
The PVC lines embedded in the foam insulation are deffinately for the coach heaters front and rear. Has any-one run into this type of generator coolin system before? 'm convinced that it is factory. thanks Graham

gstarkie@utah.gov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 01:10 AM   #2
HoosierDaddy

I've never seen a Newell set up like that. Where is the main engine rad. mounted? What year Newell do you have? We can offer more accurate responses to your inquirys if you enter basic info on your coach into your signature so you don't have to enter it each time!!! Just a tip :-)
Dean

1993 Newell 45'#316, 1976 Trans Am 455, 1967 GTO, 1953 Chevrolet 3105 (panel truck),1952 Chevrolet 3600,1969 Airstream Overlander. Always fixing something!
HoosierDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 04:09 AM   #3
fulltiming

I wish I had more knowledge of the pre-1990 Newells. I have never seen one that didn't have its own radiator. When you say that there is a "squirrel cage blowing air through the main radiator" are you referring to a squirrel cage at the rear of the coach????

The Series 2000 (1990+) Newells use a radiator at the front of the generator with a squirrel cage blower in the compartment next to the generator.

Photos please!!!

John, are you able to help out on this one??
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
8V92 DDEC-2, HT740
PT Cruiser GT with Remco Transmission Pump
https://newellowner.com/newell-photos/
fulltiming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 12:18 PM   #4
gstarkie@utah.gov

Default generator cooling system

My coach is an 81 38' with a 6V92t sorry for the vauge discription the radiator is in the very back of the coach and yes the squirrell cage is in the back it runs anytime the generator is running as does the circulation pump. Our new to us coach is in the gallery on this web site 81 Gallery #3its the grey one with the blue ribbon graphic I presume the previous owner put all the pictures in the gallery That is one of the ways that I found it, and decided that it was in good shape. All of the checking out I've done I'm still unable to find battery cut outs and still looking for a 110v breaker panel.
Old 11-21-2008, 12:40 PM   #5
fulltiming

Very nice coach, both inside and out!!

I like to keep things simple. On the battery cutoffs, start at the batteries, then try to follow the large cables. They should lead you to cutoffs, typically within 5-8 feet. As far as the 120v breaker panel, start at the power cord, it should go to a transfer switch, typically in a gray box. Then the heavy wire should go directly to the breaker panel. Although it is not always possible, the 120v breaker panel is typically fairly close to the transfer switch and power cord entry into the coach.

Are the lines on the passenger side of the engine compartment the generator coolant hoses you are talking about?

Just looking at the photos, I suspect that your battery cutoffs are behind the panel on the rear of the coach on the passenger's side of the radiator with a number of other 12v relays and connectors.
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
8V92 DDEC-2, HT740
Old 11-21-2008, 02:00 PM   #6
encantotom

my battery cutoff switches were in a key access panel door on the OUTSIDE of the coach in the rear end cap on the passenger side along with all the relays and wiring for a bunch of things. michaels exact same panel is inside the engine compartment on the passenger side. i didnt know mine was there for a while.

i really suspect yours is somewhere you have not looked at yet.

like i discovered there was a fuse panel covered by a wood box covered in the carpet material that is in the bays inside one of the bays when i was crawling around tracing the hose for the coolant heaters in my coach last summer.

tom

https://www.newellclassic.com/forum/album.php?albumid=8
encantotom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 01:23 PM   #7
gstarkie@utah.gov

Default more generator cooling stuff

Yes the big red lines in the picture in the gallery are the coolant lines I'm talking about
and that big round thing is the circulation pump the blower is on the other side of the engine (passenger side) any way i think that I've sorted that all out now I will continue looking for the breaker panel I did'nt think to start tracing out where the power cord went. Eventually I'll get this thing figured out> I still can't beleive what a geat resource
this forum is Thanks again for all your help. Later I'll try to figure out how to post pictures with my questions I'm a real novice at this computer thing. Thanks Graham
Old 11-22-2008, 03:17 PM   #8
fulltiming

Go to Quick Links near the top of the page, then click on Pictures and Albums, then click on Add Album and upload you photos. After the photos are uploaded, click on the one you wish to reference, then right click and click on Properties. The Location (URL) will be listed. Highlight the Location with you mouse, then copy the address either by using Ctrl-C or right clicking and click on Copy.

Go to Quick Reply at the bottom of the page you wish to add a post. There is an icon that looks like a mountain range. That is insert image. Paste the address you copied above into the URL line. (Paste is either right click, then click on Paste OR Ctrl-V)

As an example:

is what I get when I use the location of http://www.newellclassic.com/forum/p...438617&thumb=1

1992 Newell 43.5' #281
8V92 DDEC-2, HT740