Screen door... - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-17-2010, 11:57 PM   #1
MiniNancy

Default Screen door...

Hello!

We are having an issue with our screen door...the screen is no longer attached at the bottom and occasionally doesn't retract evenly when closed. Has anyone else experienced this? Is the repair something we can do ourselves?

Thank you in advance for any help and suggestions. This is beautiful weather which is perfect for having the screen door and windows opened!

1998 BMW Z3
1999 BMW Z3M Coupe
2011 MINI Cooper Hampton S
2005 BMW X5 3.0
1979 Mini Classic
Hughes 269 A
Kitfox IV
MiniNancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 12:28 AM   #2
rheavn

Gary & Nancy,
My screen is not attached at the bottom. Keep the upper & lower runner lubricated with a dry lubricant & enjoy the weather.

Old 10-18-2010, 12:48 PM   #3
tuga

Gary & Nancy,

Mine is not attached at the bottom either. I don't think the screen is supposed to be connected at the bottom. Give Newell a call and they can tell you.
Coach #512
2005 Pilot
tuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 10:19 PM   #4
MiniNancy

Thank you both for your suggestions! We will follow your advice! :-)

1998 BMW Z3
1999 BMW Z3M Coupe
2005 BMW X5 3.0
1979 Mini Classic
Hughes 269 A
Kitfox IV
Old 10-18-2010, 11:01 PM   #5
folivier

Mine is not connected at the bottom and part of the top is not connected. I'm curious now if that is how it is supposed to be?
1998 Newell 45' 2 slide #486
2004 Chevy Silverado Z71
2013 RZR 570LE

"You don't have a soul. You are a soul, you have a body." C.S.Lewis

https://www.luxurycoachlifestyle.com/...php?albumid=14
folivier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 04:19 PM   #6
MiniNancy

I was thinking about emailng Newell...but I have done that before and have yet to receive a response. I will probably call and see what they tell us! Thanks again for all of the input!! :-)

1998 BMW Z3
1999 BMW Z3M Coupe
2005 BMW X5 3.0
1979 Mini Classic
Hughes 269 A
Kitfox IV
Old 10-20-2010, 11:15 PM   #7
rheavn

FYI Gary & Nancy,
I've heard others who have said emails go unanswered, so I just call. I always get a friendly & helpful person who either answers my question or puts me in contact with someone who can. No waiting & I have my answer when it is fresh in my mind.
Old 10-20-2010, 11:45 PM   #8
MiniNancy

Thank you for the advice Steve and Suzy! We will certainly call Newell! Thank you again!

1998 BMW Z3
1999 BMW Z3M Coupe
2005 BMW X5 3.0
1979 Mini Classic
Hughes 269 A
Kitfox IV
Old 11-04-2010, 07:19 PM   #9
leobess

Hi I bought my newell about a year and half ago, and am getting around to the fact that that I dont have screen door. do newells come with a screen door and if so where can I get one. my coach is a 1984 and I'm still learning all the things you have to know about owning a newell. thanks leobess
leobess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 08:16 PM   #10
RussWhite

Not sure about your coach, but mine could be missed if one didn't know where to look. In '99 Newell used a spring retractable screen door that went open winds up into the wall on the same side as the door hinge. All you see is a handle when it all wound up. Grab the handle and pull and out comes the screen. The handle then latches on the other side of the doorway with magnets. Take a look and see if you have anything similar. Russ
RussWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 02:29 AM   #11
leobess

thanks for the info, I went back out to take another look, but could not find any screen door. leobess
leobess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 01:47 AM   #12
Barry Rooker

We found the magnets a bit too strong on the retracting screen door. So I put plastic electrical tape over the magnets, reducing their strength. Looks okay too.
Barry Rooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 01:52 AM   #13
RussWhite

Ha Ha! I have done the same thing, but never thought about posting it. Just one layer of tape gave me exactly the grip I wanted. Now there is an economical upgrade. Russ
RussWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 07:20 PM   #14
MarkofSJC

Am I mistaken, or are screen doors only an option on mid-entry coaches?
MarkofSJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 01:35 PM   #15
rheavn

Mark,
I can only speak for the 1999 models. A "roll up screen door at main entry" is listed under the standard equipment items.
Old 09-27-2011, 02:42 PM   #16
Barry Rooker

We are GIANT fans of our screen door. And the front door Newells don't have it. I asked Pat Dwyer about it at Newell and he said no one has asked.

When parked at our winter retreat in Indio, a closed door says "stay away", an open door with the screen in place, says, "yes we're home & come ahead". A wide open door with no screen just seems too open plus in places other than Indio, there's the insect issue which the screen door was created for in the first place.
Barry Rooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 09:35 PM   #17
Hardtrigger

My 1991 Newell has the retractable screen dooe and is used every day. Believe it or not such a simple amenity and one of my favorite on the coach. Question I would like to ask though is since it retracts 100% in the door how would one go about restretching the screen since there is no access to the retractable roller recessed in the door? I have looked and can't figure out how to get to it. Screen isn"t to bad but I know there will come a day it will need restretching and would like if someone who has done this give a tip if at all possible how to get to the roller. Thank you, thank you, Rob
Hardtrigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 12:29 AM   #18
express1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardtrigger View Post
My 1991 Newell has the retractable screen dooe and is used every day. Believe it or not such a simple amenity and one of my favorite on the coach. Question I would like to ask though is since it retracts 100% in the door how would one go about restretching the screen since there is no access to the retractable roller recessed in the door? I have looked and can't figure out how to get to it. Screen isn"t to bad but I know there will come a day it will need restretching and would like if someone who has done this give a tip if at all possible how to get to the roller. Thank you, thank you, Rob

I need the answer to this also....Need my screen door WORKING! It comes out ok but won't latch on the top roller side. HOW to Get into IT!
express1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 02:19 AM   #19
prairieschooner

sometimes screen doors are smarter than your wifey!
1982 Newell 38' (built before #1) 6V92 DD, 5 Speed Allison, 12.5 KW Kohler, Couch used to make into a Bed but I fixed it!
https://newellshowcase.com/thumbnails.php?album=214
2007 Yukon, 1981 CJ7 Laredo, 2002 Honda CRV, 1955 Thunderbird, 1952 Pontiac Sedan Delivery, 1952 Ford 8N, 1958 Airstream, 1959 Glasspar 16' Avalon, Cabin in the Woods........what will I work on next
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
prairieschooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 03:00 AM   #20
Neweller

Quote:
Originally Posted by express1 View Post
I need the answer to this also....Need my screen door WORKING! It comes out ok but won't latch on the top roller side. HOW to Get into IT!

Does yours have the magnets or a hook mechanism at top and bottom? Is it retracting properly? Just trying to get some clarity to what the problem is?

I'm just using these pictures as examples of phantom screen doors used on luxury RV's. I have noticed a couple styles on Newell. I purchased a retractable screen from Lowes, shortened it and put it on a 1986 Newell a while back, it worked great. It is very similar product to the old pull down shades, but a better designed spring type and roller mechanism. Just some thoughts and ideas on the matter. The retracting roller springs get weak over time and use.

Just an example of replacements at a huge savings from what the factory will charge for the DIY guy!

If you want to sell, PM or Private Message me. Thanks!

"I know I’m not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Neweller is offline   Reply With Quote