Window in the Shower? - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-21-2012, 10:21 PM   #1
LynnJeff

Default Window in the Shower?

Just when we newbie Newell owners thought we were getting the hang of this "redo" we wondered why the shower had an extra matching panel screwed down over one side. It's because it is covering up a window! Yes, a 25.5" by 25.5" window that opens and closes in the shower. But when one runs the shower, water runs down from the window on the outside of the bus (yes, we had just washed and waxed the bus). So....we have decided to put a new, properly sealed, non-opening, frosted window, back in the shower and not reinstall the "panel" over it. Newell remembered them and the company who made the windows is just back in business and is sending us one. But I was just wondering, does anyone else have this or have seen it or know WHY it was done? This is a 43' 1990 with 2008 upgrades.....Thanks, Lynn and Jeff

LynnJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 11:05 PM   #2
rheavn

Lynn & Jeff,
I don't suggest that I know the specific answer, but you have to remember that Newells are custom and built to the owners request. It may be as simple as the person who built the coach wanted a window in the shower.

Old 02-22-2012, 01:22 AM   #3
lbrachfe

We met a couple with the same problem at Newell last August and they were changing the frame around the window out for the second time. They had said that there were a few years way back when this was a common addition.
lbrachfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 04:00 AM   #4
chockwald

Our 1982 has a window in the shower. No problems with leaking. Ours came with a coated canvas window covering that can be manually rolled up, and let down when taking shower to keep water from directly spraying on the window. Works well......so far.
2002 Thunderbird Retro
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Cannondale F600
2 Terra Trike Tadpoles
Intense 5.5 mountain bike
ALBUM: https://newellshowcase.com/thumbnails.php?album=213
chockwald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 01:24 PM   #5
prairieschooner

We have as well added a curtain over our shower window. This has helped by diverting the water
1982 Newell 38' (built before #1) 6V92 DD, 5 Speed Allison, 12.5 KW Kohler, Couch used to make into a Bed but I fixed it!
https://newellshowcase.com/thumbnails.php?album=214
2007 Yukon, 1981 CJ7 Laredo, 2002 Honda CRV, 1955 Thunderbird, 1952 Pontiac Sedan Delivery, 1952 Ford 8N, 1958 Airstream, 1959 Glasspar 16' Avalon, Cabin in the Woods........what will I work on next
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
prairieschooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 05:19 PM   #6
LynnJeff

This is really helpful....soooo the key is probably a little curtain over the window or we may end up changing the seal. But it looks like you guys had a good 'seal' or set well in the window (or have hit less bumps in the road ) so maybe our new window and new seal will work. Thanks again and I'll remember to enjoy the view. Best, Lynn
Old 02-28-2012, 04:18 PM   #7
MarkofSJC

Hey, when you're in the great outdoors ~ why not enjoy the view? Even from the shower!
MarkofSJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 12:21 PM   #8
LynnJeff

We installed the new frosted glass (no sliding or opening part) and resealed it and wow! It opens up the bathroom and gives so much extra natural light! And no leaks or problems because it is a solid piece. No curtains required as it is lightly frosted. We ordered two windows thinking we would be redoing the shower again at a later date but I think I have talked the Boss out of a black marble future shower (think of the $$$ and the weight!). So now we have an extra brand new window, the rough opening is 24.5" x 24.5" and it came direct from Newell (they ordered it from the manufacturer) and our cost was $451 + shipping. Let me know if anyone wants it. Thanks for all you guys help.