Replace dometic fridge - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-25-2012, 03:15 PM   #1
cdat

Default Replace dometic fridge

I'm looking at purchasing a used 91 Newell coach that has a dometic fridge. Would like to upgrade too a newer fridge and was wondering how difficult it is to replace. We are considering putting in a two drawer type fridge with storage or counter space above. Has anyone done this, any thoughts from those of you more experienced at this sort of thing?

Thanks
John

cdat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 04:20 PM   #2
Neweller

Hi John, depending on your skill set or whether you're having it done by Newell or someone else has a lot to do with what the overall feasibility etc. would be. I would not consider it that major of a job. Are you thinking of something like a Sub Zero or another brand? The Newell factory has done this for some others and can easily do it. Cost of course will be much higher than doing it yourself. I have thought about going with one of these drawer type refrigerator/freezers for the same reason, counter space. Depending on my next coach and how it is configured it may be getting quite the makeover and I will do most everything myself regarding interior works. Newell uses marine grade plywood for almost everything and a lot of screws.

Myself, I would not be afraid of the challenge and would actually enjoy doing it.

If you want to sell, PM or Private Message me. Thanks!

"I know I’m not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Neweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 06:34 PM   #3
cdat

Neweller, appreciate the info. My biggest concern would be getting the old fridge out of the coach, not sure if it will fit thru the door. I know if I purchase this coach I will have too update the house batteries and possibly add a couple more if that's feasible. I've done some interior work on motorhomes but am not familiar with Newells construction. Should I buy this coach, I'm guessing I will get familiar pretty fast, and have a lot more questions. Glad I found this forum, and appreciate you taking the time to respond.
John
cdat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 11:02 PM   #4
Stylin Monster

I have the below counter fridge, roll out freezer and love it. But it cost a few hundred grand to get one already existant in my coach.

Big rigs a rollin' Hot Damn!
Stylin Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 12:04 AM   #5
Gone Busing

We like the Jenn-Air under the counter model.

Comparing Luxury Motor Coaches
Gone Busing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 04:52 AM   #6
Neweller

John, whatever coach you decide, check things over real good and I recommend having oil sample's run. If you are talking about Jimmy's coach, that is a fine Newell, but always do your due-diligence. Are you fairly close to going at looking at this coach? If everything checks out good and you guys come to reasonable terms that make you both happy, then you should be good to go. One of the nice things about picking up a nice quality coach, you can do modifications or improvements that will fit your needs and pleasure beyond any newer run of the mill cheapy. I have moved a fridge out the door and it cleared. You can always remove a window or windshield if need be. Newell removes the righthand windshield to remove or install a large house type fridge. It's not a big deal to do it that way, if that is what's necessary.

Jay, I like the Jenn-Air models as well. There are a few available that would fit the bill.

If you want to sell, PM or Private Message me. Thanks!

"I know I’m not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Neweller is offline   Reply With Quote