Air Bags - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-26-2013, 12:43 PM   #1
mnhoff

Default Air Bags

Starting to prepare to change out all 10 air bags. From others past experiance are they all the same size, or is the tag differant ? part number ect???? While I am having a good time doing that changing out the three air levelers. More than likely going to pull them from the USA. Any direction on where to deal. Good service, price, brand ect???

1995 Newell Coach #372
mnhoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 07:29 PM   #2
Neweller

Mike, I have changed a few dozen air bags on big rigs over the years and on these Newell's it is not much different. Your rears should be one part number including the tag suspension and the fronts another. I should have the different part numbers in my computer at home and will check when I arrive back unless I can get them from NewellCrazy, I know he has most of the specs on this stuff in his black book. lol. The problem I have been hearing though on these Newell's is there were multiple part numbers used in any given year, and it is best to actually grab the part number off the bag itself at then match or cross-reference them that way. I have used mostly Firestone brand, as well as Goodyear. The Firestones tend to be the best bang for the buck. I may have a source for you right there in Canada. When I was wholesaling automotive and truck parts I compiled over 8000 plus clients in my database and a couple hundred were in the Canadian Region. I'll take a peak at who is a stocking dealer here shortly. So, it's very possible to get them local. The part numbers are shared with different makes and models of larger rigs with air suspension. Keith might even have a known source in Alberta. Let's see what we can come up with. Prices from independent suppliers will be in the $90-135 range for the fronts and on average the larger rears will be about another $25 additional. Not near as much money as one would thing. Change out is maybe 15-30 minutes each depending on your experience and whether or not you are using air tools etc.... I'm going to be picking up four larger air/hydraulic jacks this summer and if or when folks are coming through the area, pull a coach in and do a number on it. I've got a bay in the new warehouse that will be called Newell Lane.

If you want to sell, PM or Private Message me. Thanks!

"I know I’m not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Neweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 01:47 PM   #3
larryweikart

Ken, I'm requesting an appointment date, for summer of 2014, at Newell Lane. I'll need about a week to take care of my r&r list! (with your assistance, of course)
1994 Newell #365 w/Corvette, 2002 streetrod 34 ford golf cart, 2009 Smart Car, 1958 Century Coronado, 1965 Cruisers Inc, CAR & BOAT CRAZY! LOVE OUR NEWELL!
larryweikart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 01:03 AM   #4
Neweller

Larry, that shouldn't be a problem, I'll be looking forward to it. You always have an open invitation.

"I know I’m not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Old 07-06-2013, 04:27 AM   #5
rellick

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnhoff View Post
Starting to prepare to change out all 10 air bags. From others past experiance are they all the same size, or is the tag differant ? part number ect???? While I am having a good time doing that changing out the three air levelers. More than likely going to pull them from the USA. Any direction on where to deal. Good service, price, brand ect???
Mike, I shop at Traction Heavy Duty Truck Parts, Traction: Find a Traction Store they should be able to get some in for you.
22' 350hp Jet Riverboat
79 Ford F250 4x4
Many others to list
rellick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 12:06 PM   #6
mnhoff

Thanks Ken & Kieth. I have a traction store in Red Deer which is 20 minutes away and my wifes boss has a account there as well. I will try the beginning of the week to get those part numbers Ken to see what you may be able to do with them.
1995 Newell Coach #372
Old 07-07-2013, 03:37 PM   #7
Neweller

Not a problem Mike, that will give you a couple of comparisons on cost. I'm not sure how much the duties affect you as an end user compared to purchasing for a little more in Canada vs. buying for less in the US and paying the shipping and tariffs? Of course it may be worth it on used items but we'll find out on new. With dealers and distributors you fall under the NAFTA agreement, so then it's just a matter of shipping costs which spread out over a vast quantity of merchandise becomes very cost effective. I used to ship truckloads of merchandise up to Canada and also as a buyer of exhaust systems. I usually used Eagle Freight and Logistics.

-Bob Marley
Old 07-12-2013, 01:22 AM   #8
mnhoff

Has been a busy week. Ken I finally got under the coach to get some numbers on those bags. My findings were the front and dual have the same number. Firestone AY 1t15L (L-2). The tag for some reason AY 1T15B (L-2). I am going to check with traction tomorrow Kieth to get some comparison. Thanks for now Mike
1995 Newell Coach #372
Old 07-12-2013, 03:04 PM   #9
Neweller

Mike, that is great you have the numbers. So on yours the front and rears have the same numbers and the tag is a different one. There must be a few variables on what Newell did throughout the years and of course it could also be with changes from past owners etc... I have seen quite a few different part numbers show up in the mix on here over the years and even referencing the old Newell Tech Talk there are differences. Mike, are yours pretty dry rotted? I'm sure traction should have realistic pricing. Keith would surely know. And, maybe passing on the persons name who works there will get you a better discount? I'll still look on my end just for comparison if anything and post what I find.

-Bob Marley
Old 09-03-2013, 03:34 AM   #10
mnhoff

Default Air bags

Just completed changing out the bags on my 95. I will post a couple of pics of the odd bags that I had on the steer and the drive axle. All 8 bags had a 1" diameter intake hole in the bags. The tag were differant. The pics show the cracking and dry rot more when inflated on the bench rather than in its reg position in the frame. Once I cross ref the number with firestone and ordered the bags they could not find any on any shelf in Canada or the US. They had to build them for me fresh when the could work it in. I had to wait over 6 weeks before they were in my hands. If any one out there has the same bags with the 1" diameter it may be a good thing to order a spare for backup. If this should happen on the open road what would you do. Just have the three levelers to finish then will be ready to roll. If any one needs the numbers give me a call. Job complete for just under $2000.00Click image for larger version

Name:	AIR BAGS 027.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	18.6 KB
ID:	4501Name:  AIR BAGS 025.jpg
Views: 1081
Size:  9.4 KBClick image for larger version

Name:	Trees JUly 2013 008.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	19.6 KB
ID:	4500

1995 Newell Coach #372