Should Newell Quit Overbuilding Their Coaches? - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-18-2012, 03:34 PM   #1
Neweller

Default Should Newell Quit Overbuilding Their Coaches?

Recently I visited with a very nice gentlemen who has been building very nice bus conversions for a long long time. I really enjoyed talking with this man and learning a lot about Eagle's, Wanderlodges and even Newell's.

This guy told me straight out that his problem with a Newell Coach is that they are over-built and that way too much engineering has gone into them. Hmm..... Is this really such a bad thing? Now, I admit that Newell's being built over-kill as he suggests does hurt the fuel economy some. His conversion with an upgraded 60 Series being lighter than a Newell gets around 10.5 mpg and at $4.00 plus a gallon that is quite the savings from 6-7 mpg.

Now, I am not advocating Newell Coach change a thing in the consideration of over-building. Just think the topic is interesting.

If you want to sell, PM or Private Message me. Thanks!

"I know I’m not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Neweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 04:25 PM   #2
BikerBob

From our point of view and after checking out many cookie cutter motor homes that was one of the many reasons I was drawn to a Newell. Once I found out how well they were built I knew that if I was serious about full timing I had to own a Newell! I'm still searching by the way and every day brings us closer to newell coach ownership.

Bob

BikerBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 05:39 PM   #3
Dan B

Hey Ken,

Just out of curiousity, what was the conversion with the Series 60? Weight is a factor but other things affect fuel mileage.

Regards,

Dan
Dan B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 05:48 PM   #4
Neweller

Dan, it was an Eagle bus. The guy loves to put Detroit Diesel 60 Series in place of other engines for the optimum of optimum in his book. I seen where a newer Cummins came out of a 2009 Wanderlodge to be replaced with a 60 Series. Main reason's were to improve mileage and get rid of the DPF.
If you want to sell, PM or Private Message me. Thanks!

"I know I’m not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Neweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 06:29 PM   #5
JustDustin

Newell Coaches are built to last and are built to be one of the best coaches on the road. In my eyes it is the best coach out there. I say they should keep building them with quality and continue the route they are going. Call it overbuilt if you'd like, but I would say that is the reason those like myself love our Newells.
JustDustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 10:19 PM   #6
MarkofSJC

That's what I love about the USA ~ products can be purchased to meet anyones' needs or desires.

I totally agree with Biker Bob...we, too, are inching towards a Newell (it's like a gravitational pull). Determined to "buy our last coach ~ first" every other coach we tour has some engineering compromises evident in multiple places. Will they matter? Depends on who you are asking...but they do to me!

The most immediately obvious thing is the size of windows. Is it me, or are most motor homes patterned after "Hummer" designs ~ more of a "turrent" than a window? Yes, it's expensive to keep a high "R" value of insulation with big windows, but I really want to see the surrounding area where I've driven days to get to! (and enjoy all the sites along the way!).

As for the mileage, if this were going to be a taxi cab rather than a home that transports itself from place to place, it would change my level of concern...but I'm not using it to go grocery shopping!

Just my point of view...
Mark
MarkofSJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 11:32 PM   #7
speedingsport

I wouldn't say a Newell is overbuilt but I would say a lot of other coach brands are underbuilt, hows that?
speedingsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 04:26 PM   #8
Will Procter

The day Newell slacks on quality is the day I switch to Prevost.

Detroit 60 Series 515 HP Engine

Some people call me the Space Cowboy
Will Procter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 05:26 PM   #9
Dan B

Thanks Ken!
Dan B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 04:36 PM   #10
TomGauger

As some others I run across, I'm ever inching toward a Prevost...a major "up" from my ageing Monaco Exec. Lately I got some telling numbers from a sales guy at Liberty. The typical H3 goes out the door leaving very little weight available for the toad, food, clothing and all the other stuff we bring along. The Liberty H3 he mentioned was weighed with full fuel, water, and DEF. That left only 700 pounds availabe before hitting 54,500 pounds, the GVWR! (This coach has a 189 gallon water tank and he said to leave most of that at home. I'm now getting far more serious about a Newell. My partner likes the mid-entry with its better access to the galley and we BOTH like the idea of the rear lounge. We've never seen one and Brian Pitts says Newell only builds those to order. So, can anyone answer questions about the rear lounge? How wide is the Murphy bed and is it comfortable? Do owners feel the rear lounge was a good idea?
TomGauger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 06:14 PM   #11
ccjohnson

Are you looking to buy new or used? Some of the NASCAR hospitality coaches are rear lounge configured I think. Used ones can be reasonably priced, as most folks want the bedroom only in the rear and use front salon for guests etc. They have usually been well serviced to boot.
XL-7
F-350 4X4 Crewcab
F-250 4X4 Crewcab
ccjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 06:16 PM   #12
77newell

Tom: the answer to your first question about comfort is that I can't imagine anyone spending nearly $2mil on a coach and tolerating an uncomfortable bed. Nor can I imagine a vendor taking the risk of supply one. The answer to your second question can only be answered by you. It really doesn't matter whether other people like or dislike the arrangement; you are the one living with it and if you love it that's all that matters, if you hate it then it is irrelevant that others like it.
2007 civic toad
77newell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 08:23 PM   #13
Ron Skeen

My first 2 motor homes were front entry Fiberglas coaches. Had them combined for 3 years and then bought my first Newell which was mid entry. After having 2 other Newell mid entry, for my life style I would only have a mid entry Newell. I like being able to enter and go either way. Rear Murphy bed would not work for me because when traveling I start driving early and my wife stay in the bed. Opinions are numerous so what work for you!
1996 Newell 45' #422
2004 Newell 45'8" #689
60 Series Detriot
Yellow Dodge Truck
Ron Skeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 12:34 AM   #14
Yachts

I own a rear lounge Murphy bed coach and I love it!!! Tons of room lots more possibilities.. The Murphy bed is every bit as comfortable as the normal bed I had in my other coaches... Just make sure you install a large tv on the bottom of the Murphy bed
Yachts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 02:51 PM   #15
TomGauger

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77newell View Post
Tom: the answer to your first question about comfort is that I can't imagine anyone spending nearly $2mil on a coach and tolerating an uncomfortable bed. Nor can I imagine a vendor taking the risk of supply one. The answer to your second question can only be answered by you. It really doesn't matter whether other people like or dislike the arrangement; you are the one living with it and if you love it that's all that matters, if you hate it then it is irrelevant that others like it.
Thank you for your rather strong reponse. I'm merely seeking opinions from those who actually own rear-lounge Newells.
Old 03-24-2014, 02:52 PM   #16
TomGauger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yachts View Post
I own a rear lounge Murphy bed coach and I love it!!! Tons of room lots more possibilities.. The Murphy bed is every bit as comfortable as the normal bed I had in my other coaches... Just make sure you install a large tv on the bottom of the Murphy bed
Good to hear! I did decide not to go after the projection TV system seen in some Newell rear lounges. A large screen LED on the bottom of the bed would be nifty!
Old 03-24-2014, 05:08 PM   #17
MarkofSJC

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomGauger View Post
... we BOTH like the idea of the rear lounge. We've never seen one and Brian Pitts says Newell only builds those to order. So, can anyone answer questions about the rear lounge? How wide is the Murphy bed and is it comfortable? Do owners feel the rear lounge was a good idea?
Tom,

I've seen three. For me the pros outweigh the cons, but it may be different for you.

Cons * More expensive to build, as all floors on slide outs need to be flat floors.
* The bed has to physically be raised and lowered to the floor ~ no mechanical assistance. While it's not super heavy, its not a 1-finger operation either. (especially if TV is added - see Pros)
* Bed mattress height will be lower. Rather than top of bed hitting you at your upper thigh, it will be below the knee.
* Will obscure one window when traveling, as bed will be folded into the wall
* Almost forces you to put two TVs into the room ~ one to be viewed from bed, other to be viewed when bed is up against wall.
* Eliminates any storage options under the bed.
* Can't have ceiling fan over bed ~ gets in the way of opening & closing.

Pros
* You gain a whole additional room for living during the day.
* Beds can be as wide as desired (I've seen both queen and king), but you can't go extra long on length due to wall height limitations.
* With the addition of a flat screen TV on the underside of the bed, you've got a great media room. I've also seen that, plus the addition of a roll down screen and projector for a true theater experience.
* You can go for theater style recliners, or I saw a coach with a coach that had a nice couch that jack-knifed with another TV on a televator behind it.
* I've seen the area used 1) as an office, 2) as a media room, 3) as a study
* The bed is every bit as comfortable as a standard bed.

IMO, this is the best way you can equip a coach, as it maximizes every square inch.

Mark
MarkofSJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 06:59 PM   #18
Yachts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomGauger View Post
Good to hear! I did decide not to go after the projection TV system seen in some Newell rear lounges. A large screen LED on the bottom of the bed would be nifty!
newell can can make the Murphy bed mechanical.. They do t like too but it can be done... Mine isn't that way and it's not too heavy.. Smart not going with the projection tv.. We have a rear couch and anything larger than a 32 is to big wit the slides in.. However a 60 would work with slides out.. You might consider 2 tvs on the bed side one for traveling 1 for parking.

Yachts is offline   Reply With Quote