Good Sam Club or which one? - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-01-2009, 04:31 PM   #1
Summersgal

Arrow Good Sam Club or which one?

I was wondering if anyone uses the Good Sam's Club Emergency service in case you blow a tire out and have to be towed or anything else that may happen?!

If not...What do you have or do? Trying to think of the options and what to do. As this is all new to us! And I sure don't want to be out on the road somewhere and not know what to do

Coach #432
Summersgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 05:14 PM   #2
prairieschooner

I chose AAA because we were already members. I have been getting discounts because of AAA at RV Parks but some only take Good Sam. We are thinking of having both when we start traveling again this year.
There has been allot of good discussions on tires as of late, here is a thread to consider; http://www.newellclassic.com/forum/s...highlight=tire

1982 Newell 38' (built before #1) 6V92 DD, 5 Speed Allison, 12.5 KW Kohler, Couch used to make into a Bed but I fixed it!
https://newellshowcase.com/thumbnails.php?album=214
2007 Yukon, 1981 CJ7 Laredo, 2002 Honda CRV, 1955 Thunderbird, 1952 Pontiac Sedan Delivery, 1952 Ford 8N, 1958 Airstream, 1959 Glasspar 16' Avalon, Cabin in the Woods........what will I work on next
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
prairieschooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 05:33 PM   #3
encantotom

i have coachnet that is through FMCA. it is awesome. i had my coach towed once and they brought a flatbed to tow it.

it is also useable for all drivers in the family for any car they drive and works for locksmiths too. we have used it all.

it is my only experience, but it has been good.

thats my 2 cents worth and i am sticking to it.

oh yea, i think it is about 120-130 bucks per year. cheap

tom

https://www.newellclassic.com/forum/album.php?albumid=8
encantotom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 05:37 PM   #4
chockwald

Jeff and Pam.....I carry both AAA and Good Sam. I've used both, and both have come through for me on separate occasions. Several years ago I was exiting HWY 99 in Bakersfield to fuel up my prior class c motorhome when the starter suddenly engaged, and burnt itself up (I had some sort of short in the ignition wiring in the steering column as it turned out). I was stuck in the left turn lane on the access road on a Sunday morning. I called AAA and got through right away and they dispatched a large flat bed semi to move me out of the road and to someplace where I could get my problem fixed. Knowing it was Sunday and that most repair garages were closed, I also called Good Sam, but was put on hold for quite a long time. I had asked AAA for a referal for repair, but they had none for a Sunday. I asked Good Sam for a repair facility referal, and they only had places that worked on large trucks open on Sunday. By the time the AAA dispatched tow vehicle arrived I had already been moved off the road by 6 strong fireman who were passing by and physically pushed me onto the shoulder, so I really didn't need a tow, but needed a place to get the starter replaced. The driver referred me to a mobile service and they arrived within 30 minutes with a new starter, and rigged me up so I could finish my vacation (the solenoid was stuck in the on position due to a short in the ignition system so the repair guy showed me how to connect and disconnect the solenoid to start the motorhome). We ended up only losing about 3 hours and got to Yosemite just at dusk. The replacement of the ignition would have been an all day job, and involved a lot of labor, so I chose to have that done after our vacation.

My second need came just after I bought my 1982 Newell. We were on our way home from Arizona State where my daughter had just graduated, when the left front tire exploded about 80 miles west of Mesa, AZ. I got through to Good Sam and AAA quickly. AAA just wanted to tow me somewhere to have it fixed, but Good Sam dispatched a truck tire service from Mesa, AZ. It took about 2 hours, but they arrived with the correct tire, and had me on my way in 30 minutes. All I paid for was the tire (about $350). I have not idea what the travel time cost, or labor cost was, but can imagine it was a lot. Good Sam paid that part. I cranked up the satellite dish, turned on the genset and watched a Laker playoff game, and ate lunch while we waited.

Anyway, that's the long version of why I carry both.
2002 Thunderbird Retro
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Cannondale F600
2 Terra Trike Tadpoles
Intense 5.5 mountain bike
ALBUM: https://newellshowcase.com/thumbnails.php?album=213
chockwald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 03:57 PM   #5
Wally Arntzen

I have both Good Sam and RV Roadhelp and have used both several times. I had a GMC many years ago and it was towed about 6 times with great service. Two years ago I blew a tire on the Hoover Dam with my Newell and had a guy out with a tire in two hours with great service. No charge for the servicre and a reasonable price for the tire.
When you call them they ask the weight of the coach and send an appropriate rig to deal with the tow. On my flat tire it came out with a pick up truck and a compresser and was done in less than 20 minutes.
I would not be without this type of protection and the cost is minimul.
1988 Newell Coach #163
40' with tag 8V92
Wally Arntzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 01:25 PM   #6
Summersgal

Thank you all for the info! We went with Good Sam Emergency Plan. Had already covered the Coach with Allstate since that is who had everything else. But I am going to look into AAA on renewal.

Coach #432
Summersgal is offline   Reply With Quote