Tech Talk Archives 9 - Page 7 - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Go Back   Luxury Coach Lifestyles > Forum Archives - closed > Archive Three
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Log in Click Here to Login

Old 12-15-2012, 04:27 AM   #121
Neweller

Q
1130 10/24/2003 9:07:27 AM 10/24/2003 TechTalk Staff TechTalk@newellcoach.com Adding a slide In our opinion, adding a slide-out with an acceptable level of quality to any existing non-slide Newell coach is cost-prohibitive. We know of only one customer who has made the attempt, and it is our understanding that the results were not to a high standard of quality.

If you want to sell, PM or Private Message me. Thanks!

"I know I知 not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Neweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 04:27 AM   #122
Neweller

A
1131 10/24/2003 9:21:05 AM 10/24/2003 TechTalk Staff TechTalk@newellcoach.com Allison 653 transmission fluid Allison recommends Castrol Transynd synthetic ATF as well as Dextron II, Dextron III, or C4 oil. Allison has a service bulletin that goes into detail regarding ATF recommendations. It may be available on the Allison web site. Newell recommends synthetic fluid (we use Mobil Synthetic ATF) and uses it for initial factory fill on new coaches. However, it is more difficult to justify the extra cost of synthetic ATF on a less expensive coach, so our suggestion would be to use a Dextron II or III, or an approved C4 oil.

"I know I知 not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Old 12-15-2012, 04:27 AM   #123
Neweller

A
1133 10/25/2003 5:15:13 PM 10/28/2003 Rich Farr toptin@cox.net Zip Dee Awnings Our Newell has Zip Dee awnings all around. Two of them are malfunctioning and all should be serviced. We are located in Tulsa and unable to find local Zip Dee support. Would like to hook up with Zip Dee expert. Recommendations appreciated. Thanks in advance.

-Bob Marley
Old 12-15-2012, 04:27 AM   #124
Neweller

Q
1134 10/27/2003 4:53:20 PM 10/28/2003 Bob InsideGolf@cablespeed.com Vintage Newell Matt,
I am the 4th owner of a '73 coach with 171,000 miles on it. It's powered with a 391 Industrial Ford engine that was rebuilt at 100,000. It has an Allison MT 41 automatic transmission. My wife and I call it The Silver Bullit.
The interior was up-graded along with a new generator, frig., sound system, carpets, upholstry, stove top and more, buy the previous owner. This rig has been all over North America and shows no signs of aging--no rust or holes in exterior skin. I've put about 8,000 miles a year on it ( for the past 4 years) and wouldn't hesitate to go anywhere with it as it is well maintained. I hope you are able to find one as nice as the one I found.

-Bob Marley
Old 12-15-2012, 04:28 AM   #125
Neweller

A
1136 10/27/2003 5:04:00 PM 10/28/2003 bubba romero nannar@bellsouth.net Adding a slide Correct e-mail adress on previous post.

-Bob Marley
Old 12-15-2012, 04:28 AM   #126
Neweller

A
1137 10/27/2003 5:24:42 PM 10/28/2003 Bob InsideGolf@cablespeed.com 1974 cabinet hardware Bill, I too am looking for a source for my cabinet fasteners. I just sent (10/27) a request to Gary in the Parts dept. of Newell and am waiting to hear back. If you've found a source please let me know. I'll do the same.

-Bob Marley
Old 12-17-2012, 05:23 AM   #127
Neweller

A
1138 10/28/2003 8:39:52 AM 10/28/2003 TechTalk Staff TechTalk@newellcoach.com Zip Dee Awnings Try the Newell Service Department, 85 miles NE of Tulsa on I-44! Call toll-free, 1-888-363-9355.

-Bob Marley
Old 12-17-2012, 05:23 AM   #128
Neweller

A
1139 10/29/2003 8:33:53 AM 10/31/2003 john leuenberger jeleuen@cox.net Switches Jon, Was told by another Newell owner that the "over ride" switch is to release the air brakes which are designed to go full on if air pressure is lost. I have some mystery switches too and will probably remain so until can visit Newell factory.

-Bob Marley
Old 12-17-2012, 05:23 AM   #129
Neweller

MOISESE@BURKEWILLIAMSSPA.COM Adding a slide SINCE YOU ALREADY OWN A NEWELL COACH I SUGGEST YOU PUT A LITTLE BIT MORE MONEY AND GET A NEW COACH WITH SLIDE OUT(S).
IT'S TOO RISKY HAVING A SLIDE-OUT INSTALL. THEY ARE NOT ACCURATE.

-Bob Marley
Old 12-17-2012, 05:23 AM   #130
Neweller

A
1141 11/2/2003 2:04:30 PM 11/3/2003 John J. Wright john.jwright@verizon.net Splitter Plug in This is the first post a new "Bus" owner. We just bought a 1991 Newell. The manuals speak to a splitter going to different 20 and 30 amp service boxes; yet there is a drawing showing the splitter being used with two 30 amp services.

Can you do that or should you use only 30 and 20?

Thanks.

-Bob Marley
Old 12-17-2012, 05:23 AM   #131
Neweller

Q
1143 11/3/2003 12:12:46 PM 11/3/2003 Tom Patterson tomp@tompatterson.com Streamline Trailer.... There is some information on my website at http://www.tompatterson.com [TechTalk Staff: Tom's website has some great stuff on the Streamline Trailer, Streamline Travel home (predecessor of today's Newell), and the early Newell motorhome. Recommended reading for Newell and Streamline history buffs.]

-Bob Marley
Old 12-17-2012, 05:23 AM   #132
Neweller

A
1144 11/3/2003 3:33:44 PM 11/3/2003 TechTalk Staff TechTalk@newellcoach.com Splitter Plug in Yes, using the Newell splitter cord with a 30 amp source and a 20 amp source will give you 50 amps of 120 volt sevice. If two 30 amp services are available, this is even better, as it will give you at total of
60 amps of 120 volt service, i.e., 30 amps per leg. Understand that the standard RV "50 amp" service is 240 volts, so this provides a total of 100 amps of 120 volt power. We realize that this is confusing, but understand that we did not author the nomenclature. Just remember that 50 amp at 240 volts is fully 100 amps of 120 volt power. Ohm's Law is what they call it. And always try to find a 50 amp, 240 volt source of power for your Newell.

-Bob Marley
Old 12-17-2012, 05:24 AM   #133
Neweller

A
1145 11/3/2003 6:46:12 PM 11/8/2003 Raul Cortez raul-cortez@sbcglobal.net gas lift systems Shocks I found my replacements for a 1995 Newell at ADVANCED AUTO PARTS. You can also call the manufacturer listed on the shock for a dealer near you. ADVANCED AUTO offers a lifetime replacement warranty.

-Bob Marley
Old 12-17-2012, 05:24 AM   #134
Neweller

A
1146 11/4/2003 10:33:25 AM 11/8/2003 Bill Goss vdc@direcway.com 74 classic 36 for sale 2nd owner, 113K miles, Cat V8 pusher, 6 sp. Allison,
22.5 Alcoa wheels, almost new tires, interior redone at factory 20K miles ago, custom bay slides. can email pics,
work phone 530 284-6618, home 530 284-7477 $36,500.

-Bob Marley
Old 12-17-2012, 05:24 AM   #135
Neweller

Q
1147 11/7/2003 10:16:58 AM 11/8/2003 Jon Kabbe jckabbe@earthlink.net Switches I can't understand how an electrical signal can prevent the parking brakes from kicking in due to low pressure. I believe that the parking brake is just an air pressure versus spring pressure balance--when the air pressure gets low, the springs just kick in and there is nothing we can do about it without more air pressure. But I could be wrong and thanks for the thought. I'll have to do some more tracing of wires.

-Bob Marley
Old 12-17-2012, 05:24 AM   #136
Neweller

A
1148 11/7/2003 10:32:00 AM 11/8/2003 Jon Kabbe jckabbe@earthlink.net Vintage Newell Perhaps I can give a better response than my original one. I was suffering from a sinus infection and I was about as smart and communicative as a dead pig, and that's giving the pig the benefit of the doubt. There really are only three kinds of problems due to age; parts availability, degradation of organic materials such as elastomer (rubbery stuff), and corrosion of metals. Degradation of organic materials is the least obvious in my opinion and the most variable. Start with tires, aging will cause internal dry rot even when the outside looks good, most people say change them every 5-7 years, out of ignorance I ran mine 12 years, but don't repeat this at home as it wasn't smart to be ignorant. Then you have other parts directly exposed to sun such as window seals, shades and interior fabrics, not to mention the awnings. All of these "weather" and it depends on how the vehicle was exposed how long they will last. I haven't addressed wear and collisions because those are usually obvious and are unlikely to have hidden costs in a coach built like a Newell. The really tough stuff are the seals in the mechanical systems. How long will an engine crankshaft seal remain viable? It all depends on a huge variety of factors, though time inevitably is a major one. All you can do is look for leaks, but don't panic because the old 2-stroke diesels weren't called "Detroit Drippers" for no cause. An EXPERIENCED 2-stroke mechanic is vital here. Other than that, if it's a Newell and runs and drives good, it is good. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

-Bob Marley
Old 12-17-2012, 05:24 AM   #137
Neweller

A
1149 11/7/2003 10:36:51 AM 11/8/2003 Jon Kabbe jckabbe@earthlink.net Coach engine heat I talked with Gary in Parts and he said he no longer stocked the pumps. I found the following web site that has them available: http://commerce1.cera.net/tacbuspart...asp?cat_id=155

-Bob Marley
Old 12-17-2012, 05:24 AM   #138
Neweller

A
1150 11/8/2003 3:28:48 PM 11/10/2003 Kelly Scott kscott266@hotmail.com Heater core water compartment Where my fresh water, waste water, water heater are located, I have a compartment heater. This heater consist of a core, (resembling a very small radiator) with 2 electric fans. The unit works using engine water to heat the core, with the 2 electric fans pushing air over the core to heat the compartment.
Now, I said all that to ask the question: Does Newell or anyone know where I might locate one of these cores? Mine has developed a crack on the discharge side. I removed it once and repaired, but it has started to leak again. Hoping to find one prior to hard winter.

Thanks

-Bob Marley
Old 12-17-2012, 05:24 AM   #139
Neweller

Q
1151 11/8/2003 4:26:57 PM 11/8/2003 Rich Farr toptin@cox.net V692DD More Horsepower We own 1979 Newell 38' with 6V92 Detroit Diesel (285 HP) and Allison 654 (5 speed). Family likes to travel great Northwest, including Yellowstone, and it uses all 285 HP in those mountains. I know some versions of the 6V92 can deliver up to 380 HP with turbocharger. Is there any practical way to extract a few more HP without adding complexities of a turbo charger? Appreciate any/all comments. Thanks in advance.

-Bob Marley
Old 12-17-2012, 05:24 AM   #140
Neweller

Q
1152 11/9/2003 3:49:52 PM 11/10/2003 doug potter doug.potter@hds.com Twin to Queen conversion I recently purchased a 1986 Newell. This is my first diesel pusher. I want to convert the bedroom from the twin bed setup to a queen. The built-in cabinets aren't going to make this easy. Has anyone done this? Any suggestions? Looks like I will have to rework the vents for the basement air also.

Thanks,

Doug

-Bob Marley