Spare Tire - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-14-2012, 11:55 PM   #1
markhollow

Default Spare Tire

I have heard of some people running without a spare tire and using the extra space as storage....

So my question is, how important is it to actually have a spare tire? It seems to me in case of a blowout, I will need professional help...
Will the coach need to be towed no matter what? And if I don't have a spare, can I get away without towing the bus?

What's the general procedure for fixing a flat with and without a spare?
Old 08-15-2012, 12:14 AM   #2
RussWhite

On my trip west I am carrying a rear spare on the roof of my toad! It makes it look like I am going to Alaska and I have had so many questions and curious looks. I hope it is still there when I get back.

But, to better answer your question, I suspect you will find many if not most Newells do not carry a spare at all. In my case, I have two different tire sizes invovled as the steer tires are different from the rear tires. While I have not had a road failure the plan when not carrying a spare is to call my road service provider, Coach Net, and hope they can locate road service with the ability to bring a tire with them and do the change on the side of the road. I will, of course, have to pay a pretty penny for the tire. I am in no position to change a tire on my own. The one of the roof of the Jeep weighs 123 pounds without the wheel! Hope this helps.

RussWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 02:18 AM   #3
fulltiming

Believe me, you don't want to even try to change a tire on a Newell. You would need a BIG air impact wrench to remove the wheel (and to tighten the new one to 500 lb-ft torque, and lots more strength than most of us have to pull off the flat and put on a wheel with the new tire even if you had a spare. The odd size tires can be an issue in that they are hard to find.
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
8V92 DDEC-2, HT740
PT Cruiser GT with Remco Transmission Pump
https://newellowner.com/newell-photos/
fulltiming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 12:46 PM   #4
markhollow

Thanks for the response guys... That pretty much sums up from what I was thinking....
Old 08-15-2012, 01:17 PM   #5
tuga

Mark,

I agree that most Newell owners do NOT carry a spare. I have had 2 flats over a 20 year time frame and both times I just looked up the closest truck tire repair shop and they came out and installed a new tire. Took about 1.5 hours. The tires were 11R24.5 which is a very common size; you can find them in almost any truck stop.

Russ has a good idea carrying a 315/80R22.5 front tire spare. The 315s, 365s, & 385s are not very common yet. On my Alaska trip I was able to carry my front tire spare inside my Honda Pilot. I was told not carry it on the roof like Russ did, but I doubt if Russ had any choice. I think it would not fit in his toad. These tires are BIG. It must have been tough getting it up there!

Russ you didn't make Cynthia put it up there did you?
Coach #512
2005 Pilot
tuga is offline   Reply With Quote