Thinking About a Makeover!! - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-06-2013, 01:57 AM   #1
HoosierDaddy

Default Thinking About a Makeover!!

We have a '93 45' that was originally set up as an entertainer coach with bunks. We're planning to re-do the interior layout. Our previous Newell (1978) had blueprints of the floor layout included with its "papers". I'm looking for a floor-plan schematic or blue-print that is a typical Newell motorhome lay-out. Can anybody recommend a source or do you have one from your own coach that you could share online?Thx

1993 Newell 45'#316, 1976 Trans Am 455, 1967 GTO, 1953 Chevrolet 3105 (panel truck),1952 Chevrolet 3600,1969 Airstream Overlander. Always fixing something!
HoosierDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 02:30 AM   #2
ccjohnson

Get hold of Tommy Key or Creslie Clark at Newell. 888-363-9355

XL-7
F-350 4X4 Crewcab
F-250 4X4 Crewcab
ccjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 03:19 AM   #3
Neweller

Dean, are you mainly looking for a couple examples to give you schematic and layout ideas to follow as a sort of blueprint? I know a couple of folks that will help you out and there are a couple of other possibilities available too.
If you want to sell, PM or Private Message me. Thanks!

"I know I’m not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Neweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 06:01 AM   #4
speedingsport

Are you planning on doing the makeover yourself or hiring it out? Good luck with the makeover! I look forward to hearing about it and seeing it.
speedingsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 10:23 AM   #5
HoosierDaddy

Here is my current layout. I'm planning to remove the rear bunks, move the master bedroom wall forward. Install bathroom fixtures just ahead of bedroom, leave mid-bunk. Closet-shower-toilet-storage area will become kitchen cupboard. The counter just ahead of fridge will become booth. Current booth area will become two chairs with small work-table. Couch will be moved forward 6". My concern is that I only have around 62" in the current counter area to install booth. I'm wondering how others have made the booth fit. I'm also trying to figure out the best layout for the bathroom.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Scan.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	9.7 KB
ID:	3796
1993 Newell 45'#316, 1976 Trans Am 455, 1967 GTO, 1953 Chevrolet 3105 (panel truck),1952 Chevrolet 3600,1969 Airstream Overlander. Always fixing something!
Old 04-06-2013, 03:18 PM   #6
rellick

Its great to see another Newell in the works. Here is my two cents. What if you put the fridge on the kitchen counter side (new), move the existing booth to where you want it where the fridge and the existing counter is. I think my booth is 74" long and I wouldnt want it any shorter. Shower could be on the drivers side ahead of the bedroom utilizing the plumbing from the existing counter where you want the booth to go. Toilet and sink across from it. Your bathroom door could swing open and latch to the shower side making privacy for the back end of the coach. Another option if you are going this far with your makeover, how about adding a slide or two? Just my two cents! Looking forward to some pics
22' 350hp Jet Riverboat
79 Ford F250 4x4
Many others to list
rellick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 06:40 PM   #7
Neweller

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedingsport View Post
Are you planning on doing the makeover yourself or hiring it out? Good luck with the makeover! I look forward to hearing about it and seeing it.
Knowing what I know about Dean, he is probably planning on doing most of this project if not all of it himself. Just guessing though.

This coach must have been an entertainer or one heck of a nice family traveling unit. You can definitely could get creative. My wife has been drawing and remodeling it out in her head, showing me what she likes, which have some great ideas. Now myself I have done a semi-redo out of simplicity and cost but different from what you have. Unless you were going through the whammy like Keith mentioned with slides?

So, the plan is to keep one bunk, my question would now be; one bunk means two beds, correct?

"I know I’m not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Old 04-06-2013, 10:00 PM   #8
Randy J

Bunks in a 1993? I'd love to see your before photos. Once you have it all made over it looks like you have a heck of a lot more room.

1991 Newell Coach
2011 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

"If I lose today, I can look forward to winning tomorrow, and if I win today, I can expect to lose tomorrow. A sure thing is no fun.”

"Sometimes I pretend to be Normal. But it gets boring. So I go back to being me." lol!
Randy J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 10:24 PM   #9
HoosierDaddy

Name:  SANY0132.jpg
Views: 490
Size:  10.2 KBMy Newell was originally built for the Steve Miller Band. I believe they built three all painted alike. One as a motorhome for Steve and two more with bunks. The last I knew Steves old coach was in Alaska. A gentleman from Nashville told me that he thought he had seen the other entertainer in Nashville at a gig. My plan is to leave the upper and lower bunks just aft of the fridge for a clothes closet that can be converted to sleeping area for grandkids as needed. It looks like the shower and closet were originally bunks but were remodeled after SMB's use. I like Relliks idea of moving the fridge to the other side and back.....I'm not sure if I want to tackle moving the fridge...
Old 04-06-2013, 10:34 PM   #10
Randy J

That is pretty damn neat. I'm a Steve Miller Band fan! [video=youtube_share;PmVusVh4TRQ]http://youtu.be/PmVusVh4TRQ[/video]

I wonder if they own newer Newell coaches now?

1991 Newell Coach
2011 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

"If I lose today, I can look forward to winning tomorrow, and if I win today, I can expect to lose tomorrow. A sure thing is no fun.”

"Sometimes I pretend to be Normal. But it gets boring. So I go back to being me." lol!
Randy J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 10:46 PM   #11
Neweller

Not sure of the tank considerations? But my simpler thoughts would be to leave the kitchen, but move the fridge back enough to get the desired counter space etc..., move the toilet to the closet area next to the shower, put the booth where the toilet and whatever that area behind the entry is. You could leave one of the rear area bunks in place, turn one of the others into a his/her closet or combined with a stacker set.

The fridge must be a 3-way and you don't want to hassle with the outside access issues? If you were going electric that wouldn't matter too much. Now, you could leave the fridge but change it out to a drawer type or lower unit below the counter where it's currently at. And of course you could still do what you want with the front, in fact the desk combo that CCJohnson had Newell do prior to his extensive remodel might work for you.

Randy, that's cool too! Steve Miller is touring right now, but not in the Midwest where I'm currently at. He's a pretty cool charitable dude too!

-Bob Marley
Old 04-06-2013, 11:54 PM   #12
HoosierDaddy

The fridge is electric only.... Can be moved if I decide that is worth it. I saw a SMB video recently..(cant find it at the moment).They were jamming inside the coach...It was a Newell but I couldn't tell the year. As of 2011 they were using Prevost.
Old 04-07-2013, 12:31 AM   #13
HoosierDaddy

The fridge is electric only.... Can be moved if I decide that is worth it. I saw a SMB video recently..(cant find it at the moment).They were jamming inside the coach...It was a Newell but I couldn't tell the year.
Old 04-11-2013, 12:43 AM   #14
speedingsport

That is cool. I'm a Steve Miller Band fan too. If you ever find the video of them jamming inside their coach post please. I would enjoy seeing it.
speedingsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 01:41 AM   #15
GORDON HUMMEL

Dean,
One addition I will recommend is a dual draw filling cabinet.
When I got my Newell, I thought of all the things that I could replace that 18" with a more appropriate cabinet.
I use it every day & would keep it no matter what!!!!!!!!!!!!!
1991 41.5' #266
8v92
2009 Pontiac Vibe GT Toad
Fulltime on the road
GORDON HUMMEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 01:57 AM   #16
David Carrol

Gordon do you mind sharing some pictures?

David
Old 04-12-2013, 02:00 AM   #17
HoosierDaddy

Thanks to all for the input. I have started interior demolition....It will be slow. Working by my-self. Actually I tend to dis-assemble rather than demolish...
Old 04-12-2013, 02:08 AM   #18
GringoPhil

Make sure you take a lot of pictures eager minds want to know how your remodels progresses.

Phil
Old 04-12-2013, 11:31 PM   #19
GORDON HUMMEL

Click image for larger version

Name:	file cabinet 006.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	11.2 KB
ID:	3859Click image for larger version

Name:	file cabinet 007.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	14.5 KB
ID:	3860[QUOTE=David Carrol;32976]Gordon do you mind sharing some pictures?

David,
As usual, I modify everything. Full extention ball bearing slides added.
Looking closely, there is a heater register under the couch, just forward of the cabinet. My usual chair is directly across from the register & the thermostat is directly above. When the furnace would first come on, cold air would blow @ me & the furnace would short cycle because of the thermostat placement. I added the register over by the door where the heat loss is the greatest. I also changed to 4" rigid ductwork to increase flow. The register under the couch is not used.
Need to finish the front as the register is up against the wall & comes out under the co pilot chair & heats nothing !
1991 41.5' #266
8v92
2009 Pontiac Vibe GT Toad
Fulltime on the road
GORDON HUMMEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 12:03 AM   #20
Neweller

Very nice in deed Gordon. I had one drawer like that with a LPG heater below it in a previous coach but it didn't have nice ball-bearing glides like yours. It was great for files but would have been better with pair of drawers like you have. The register relocation was great move.

-Bob Marley