Replacing Head liner? - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-24-2005, 08:52 PM   #1
The Newell

Default Replacing Head liner?

Hello,

My family and I recently purchased a 1976 Newell Classic, We are eager to start our travels but one of the main things that need replacement is the head liner material. We are looking for tips, tricks and how to's on how to replace the head liner in a Newell Classic.

Thank You,
Joseph
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	23.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	83.2 KB
ID:	1516   Click image for larger version

Name:	24.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	90.1 KB
ID:	1517   Click image for larger version

Name:	25.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	79.1 KB
ID:	1518  

Home Base: Riverside, CA

If anyone needs my contact info private message me and I will send it to you.

-Joseph-
The Newell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 11:45 PM   #2
Erika

This must be a tougher question than I would have thought. I asked a similar question a while back over at Newell Coach and never received a response. Hopefully someone will have an answer. I am going to go into a couple of the bus conversion sites and see if they are installed in a similar fashion.

Ken

Erika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 01:01 PM   #3
karlb

Default Re: Replacing Head liner?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Newell
Hello,

My family and I recently purchased a 1976 Newell Classic, We are eager to start our travels but one of the main things that need replacement is the head liner material. We are looking for tips, tricks and how to's on how to replace the head liner in a Newell Classic.

Thank You,
Joseph
This is actually not a tough job.

An experienced uphostery shop can determine the details regarding how the Newell "soft ceiling" is installed simply by carefully removing it. Then new material can be installed in the same manner as the prior ceiling material.

While a variety of materials will work, with few exceptions, Newell has used a high quality, durable white vinyl for soft ceilings. Certain fabrics, or even leather, would also work well. The material chosen is stapled to plywood strips on the ceiling. Some of the details have changed through the years, and in recent years, rather complicated decorative ceilings have been incorporated. But the soft ceilings installed in all Newell Classics is a very simple construction that looks quite nice..

The Newell Service Department in Miami offers soft ceiling replacement routinely. While the hourly charge is most likely higher than an independant upholstery shop, experienced Newell technicians are likely to be faster, mitigating or eliminating the total labor cost difference, and the completed job will be authentic in appearance and quality.

In any case, replacing the soft ceiling in a Newell Classic is a pretty simple deal.
karlb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 12:59 AM   #4
Erika

Hi karlb! Thank you for your response. I have been thinking of tackling the job on one of my Newell's and my only concern is how to install the seem strips? They appear to have built in staples. Does it take a special tool to install the seem strips? Can the old seem strips be reused?

Thank you,
Ken
Erika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 01:05 AM   #5
The Newell

Yes, Thank you for the reply Karl, It answered my question and I think I will be contacting Newell for a price quote.

Joseph

Home Base: Riverside, CA

If anyone needs my contact info private message me and I will send it to you.

-Joseph-
The Newell is offline   Reply With Quote