bay door gas springs/struts - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-23-2008, 02:41 PM   #1
encantotom

Default bay door gas springs/struts

hi all,

i am learning slow, but have made progress on the bay door gas shocks. i replaced them all last year with 120 pound force ones after getting a few of them from newell at their recommendation. i dont think at leas on mine that was a wise move as i replaced all of them at considerable expense (25 bucks from newell and 8-10 bucks from an internet source) that they just started ripping the brackets off from too much force.

so, i found a cheap source for 83 pounds of force ones and i am making new mounts to the coach for the brackets.

my coach has the doors that are hinged and swing straight up, i know in 1995 or so they changed to the prevost style doors, so this probably doesnt apply to them.

i bought 6061 1/8" aluminum that i had cut into plates. i also got new ball brackets. i marked them to be at the same position as the old brackets, drilled 6 holes in the plates for screws to attach to the door and 3 more to attach the brackets. i used jb weld to attached the plates along with the screws.

they look very good and are much much more strong than the old ones.

the 83 pound force gas springs work fine. the originals were 90 pounds and i wish i could have gotten something in that force, but i got too good of a deal on thh 83 pound ones to pass up.

i have done 3 of them so far and will redo the entire coach for them. i made a drilling jig and templates so marking and drilling is much faster now that i have the first few done.

i will post pictures soon on them so you can get an idea of what i really am doing.

now for the question. the swing out engine bay doors were 60 pounds of force. michaels were the same. can any of you check yours for me and see what force they are?

[

https://www.newellclassic.com/forum/album.php?albumid=8
encantotom is offline   Reply With Quote