Prevention of Rodents or Unwanted Pests - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-21-2011, 06:36 PM   #1
Barry Rooker

Default Prevention of Rodents or Unwanted Pests

After noticing signs of nest-building rodents in two basements, I used a sheet of 1/8" plexiglas & hot glue to fabricate a filler piece at the shoreline cord basement. The slot for the cord to leave the coach was much bigger than was needed to get the cord out. Rodents had nested on top of the transfer switch, probably for warmth.

Once parked & plugged in, I insert the plexiglas piece to fill up the slot. It's notched on one end to allow the shoreline cord to pass through.

Since I've added the permanently connected waste pipe, the LH plumbing bay was open to rodents through the brushes that "closed off" the basement floor where the waste pipe exited the coach. Here to I used the 1/8" plexiglas to fabricate several pieces that seal off this rodent entrance when the waste pipe's stowed.

Barry Rooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 11:50 PM   #2
Neweller

Thanks for the ideas Barry, any pointers or tips to keep them darn varmints out is always helpful. Here are a couple of ideas to throw in the mix as well.

A trick that I learned years ago that does work for some rodents like mice and rats is to use steel wool. Take some steel wool and fill the openings or gaps around

pipes and shove into cracks and crevices. Some of these varmints can get into the tiniest places and wreck havoc on insulation, wiring and wood not counting what

contamination to your food or utensils. I use closed cell foam too, but I have had them do damage to it. I thought about trying a mix of steel wool with spray foam by

spraying the foam (following the instruction on the can) inside and around the spray foam itself. I was only going to try this if the single use option failed.

Ken

If you want to sell, PM or Private Message me. Thanks!

"I know I’m not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Neweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 11:59 PM   #3
rheavn

Those are both good ideas that will help others avoid the problem you had. Now I have a new project.

Thanks....................
Old 09-22-2011, 01:59 AM   #4
prairieschooner

I have posted this before but please let me try again for your benefit.
Tricia found out that the Rodents do not like those disposal Softener Sheets that are used in the Clothes Dryers. I have used them a few times and they work GREAT!!! Simply spread them out ans out they go! also you could use Moth Balls, this is the "old school" way.
1982 Newell 38' (built before #1) 6V92 DD, 5 Speed Allison, 12.5 KW Kohler, Couch used to make into a Bed but I fixed it!
https://newellshowcase.com/thumbnails.php?album=214
2007 Yukon, 1981 CJ7 Laredo, 2002 Honda CRV, 1955 Thunderbird, 1952 Pontiac Sedan Delivery, 1952 Ford 8N, 1958 Airstream, 1959 Glasspar 16' Avalon, Cabin in the Woods........what will I work on next
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
prairieschooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 02:14 AM   #5
RussWhite

I had signs that critters had taken up residence, or at least stopped in for a visit in my basement bays. I cleaned up and spread out the dryer sheets. That has been months ago and no more trouble and it smells good too! Russ
RussWhite is offline   Reply With Quote