261 mpg on a gallon of diesel fuel? Is it possible? VW plans to obtain it! - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-21-2013, 07:29 PM   #1
Neweller

Default 261 mpg on a gallon of diesel fuel? Is it possible? VW plans to obtain it!

Wouldn't it be nice if a luxury coach manufacturer got down to business and created something on the behemoth scale to do much better than they are? I truly believe it's much more obtainable but not profitable for the oil gurus of the world. Not everyone is selling out and Volkswagen is a prime example.

Eleven years ago, the head of Volkswagen popped out of a capsule-shaped vehicle barely able to hold two people and announced his ambition to construct the most efficient car the world has ever seen. Today, VW revealed the production version of that car known as the XL1, which it vows will travel 261 mpg on a gallon of diesel fuel. It's an amazing engineering feat, a Beetle reborn for the 22nd century — but the world may not be ready for it.

Now look at the real deal!
Click image for larger version

Name:	VW XL1 Beetle Hybrid.jpg
Views:	355
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	3423

If you want to sell, PM or Private Message me. Thanks!

"I know I’m not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Neweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:01 PM   #2
MrE

I got an email several years ago about a Ford that was going to be announced at the November European auto show that they were predicting would get 80mpg. I remembered the email the next December, so I went online to see if it really was true. Turns out by November it was getting closer to 85mpg and they were for sale in Europe but not the US. The the VP of Marketing for Ford in the US determined that there wouldn't be a big enough demand to bother importing them. I went to the Ford UK website and configured one with every option available and it came to just over $22k.

1986 40' Dog House #86
0 hp 8V92 Allison HT740
Soon to be 500hp ISM with ZF 6 Speed
MrE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:47 AM   #3
larryweikart

I doubt any of us will live long enough to see any vehicle like this reach the market. In 1974 an attorney, in the office next to mine, introduced a carburetor that tested out at close to 100mpg and made local headlines for about a week. Shortly thereafter he supposedly moved to a west indies island and we never heard another word about the "invention" or him again.

Some things just aren't meant to be, just saying!
1994 Newell #365 w/Corvette, 2002 streetrod 34 ford golf cart, 2009 Smart Car, 1958 Century Coronado, 1965 Cruisers Inc, CAR & BOAT CRAZY! LOVE OUR NEWELL!
larryweikart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 02:00 PM   #4
GRIFFIN JR.

I understand what you mean Larry and remember hearing all about this carburetor in fact didn't come out in Popular Science? Can you only imagine what the prominent global powers can get away with now?
GRIFFIN JR. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 01:30 PM   #5
larryweikart

yes it was mentioned in Popular Science as I remember it. I'd prefer not to mess with the "Global Powers" , they seem to be a little ruthless at times! I'll just enjoy my 7mpg in my Newell enjoying life. I can drive as little or as much as I want and then park almost anywhere and relax in my home away from home. As they say, "living the dream"
1994 Newell #365 w/Corvette, 2002 streetrod 34 ford golf cart, 2009 Smart Car, 1958 Century Coronado, 1965 Cruisers Inc, CAR & BOAT CRAZY! LOVE OUR NEWELL!
larryweikart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 06:17 PM   #6
Jack Fouts

While I was researching this vehicle I ran across a video from 2011.

[video=youtube;U4tMIvou-Ds]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=U4tMIvou-Ds[/video]

Thanks again for the help Erica.

When there is a need, lend a helping hand!
Jack Fouts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 06:36 PM   #7
Will Procter

Knowing what can be accomplished with auto diesel engines I have to wonder what could actually be done with large diesel engines. I'm sure more than 7 MPG can be achieved. Why not 15-20MPG?

Detroit 60 Series 515 HP Engine

Some people call me the Space Cowboy
Will Procter is offline   Reply With Quote