Rare Old's 88 Corvette Killer - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-12-2013, 04:00 AM   #1
rellick

Default Rare Old's 88 Corvette Killer

How about this car for the ultimate dream toad? Definatley would need an enclosed trailor!!
Here's what the Corvette Oldsmobile Division wanted, but never had. This experimental sports car would have been in direct competition wîth the Chevrolet Corvette. While debating the matter, GM built three Olds F-88 showcars, each one slightly different, all wîth concealed folding tops. It is powered by a 324-cid 'Rocket V8' producing 250 bhp. Brought out of GM styling in pieces, and owned briefly by financier and luxury auto magnate, E.L. Cord (CEO of Auburn-Cord-Duesenberg). One version was gifted to Harley Earl upon his retirement. The only surviving F-88 was sold at auction in 2005 for $3.2 million.

The XP-20 project, commonly known as F-88 was a pet project of Harley Earl (working wîth him was Bill Mitchell, Ken Pickering, Zora Duntov etc.). Four cars came out of the project, but only styling order #2265 (this car) survived. It was sold or given to E.L. Cord (Auburn-Cord-Duesenberg owner) in 1955. Hundreds of internal GM documents and original blue prints are still wîth this sole survivor.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1954_olds_f88_cncpt_manu-54_01.jpg
Views:	344
Size:	20.0 KB
ID:	4220   Click image for larger version

Name:	1954_olds_f88_cncpt_manu-54_02.jpg
Views:	341
Size:	21.5 KB
ID:	4221  
Attached Images

22' 350hp Jet Riverboat
79 Ford F250 4x4
Many others to list
rellick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 05:37 PM   #2
Neweller

That is a really cool ride. Is this supposed to be a real one? It's like the 1963 Corvette Grand Sport with only 5 being ever built. I believe they all went to lead people at General Motors. But with the '63 Grand Sport you can round up a replica for a whole lot less dinero. Valued at a cool $6-8 million.

Name:	1963 Original Grand Sport Corvette. lcl.jpg
Views:	317
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	4223

Oh, another cool Vette would have been the Mark IV gull wing. Any of these would be ultra cool behind a classic!

Name:	1970s-chevrolet-corvette-concept-cars-7.jpg
Views:	362
Size:	38.3 KB
ID:	4224

If you want to sell, PM or Private Message me. Thanks!

"I know I’m not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Neweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 05:46 PM   #3
jWolfe

Is it appropriate for me to ?
Old 06-12-2013, 07:16 PM   #4
86loco

Thanks for teasing us guys. I'm with you Jay about the drooling factor. Chevy ought to make one of these as a modern retro-production.
Old 06-12-2013, 08:29 PM   #5
rellick

This is a real one of three produced hence the 3.2 mil auction price tag. I wonder if anyone has made a replica? Nice lines I thought!! I do like the gull wing vette too!! And the grand sport!!lol
22' 350hp Jet Riverboat
79 Ford F250 4x4
Many others to list
Old 06-12-2013, 08:41 PM   #6
JetHot

This is a rich mans high. Don't know if any of you has ever seen a kit called a Sterling it has similarities to the gull wing vette. Wonder who borrowed from who, not sure but I believe the Sterling came out in the 70's too.
Old 06-12-2013, 10:04 PM   #7
Neweller

AMG, I agree. Regarding the Sterling, I believe it had a couple of roof designs, but I'm thinking it's the Cimbria version that came with gull wing style doors. Back in the 80's I wanted to build one of those, but never did. In fact I go back to when I almost had my hotrod granny talked into letting me build a Aztec 7 kitcar on a VW pan. But almost wasn't good enough and off to the service I went.

Check out this sweet post by a member over at the LS1 Tech forum. This member did a fantastic job building a 1963 Corvette Grand Sport replica with LS2/T56 Engine and Trans. It's a more complicated build than many might want to take on. It would be a pretty fun build though.

Be prepared to be wowed, here's the link: 1963 Corvette Grand Sport LS2/T56 Build(Lots of Pics!) - LS1TECH[TABLE]
<colgroup><col width="566"></colgroup><tbody>[TR]
[TD="width: 566"][/TD]
[/TR]
</tbody>[/TABLE]

"I know I’m not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Old 06-12-2013, 10:27 PM   #8
Wheeler

I like it all but the gull wing is sweeeeet sauce!
Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 12:33 AM   #9
Neweller

I was just thinking that Olds 88 has some rear styling cues from a Nomad wagon. Obvious the same designer was on board.

-Bob Marley
Old 06-13-2013, 02:08 AM   #10
prairieschooner

Yes guys this was on the desk at the same time as the corvette. Too bad the corvette won out but history has proven that it was a great idea. The last one of these at auction went for crazy money! Glad I still have my '55 Bird!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rellick View Post
How about this car for the ultimate dream toad? Definatley would need an enclosed trailor!!
Here's what the Corvette Oldsmobile Division wanted, but never had. This experimental sports car would have been in direct competition wîth the Chevrolet Corvette. While debating the matter, GM built three Olds F-88 showcars, each one slightly different, all wîth concealed folding tops. It is powered by a 324-cid 'Rocket V8' producing 250 bhp. Brought out of GM styling in pieces, and owned briefly by financier and luxury auto magnate, E.L. Cord (CEO of Auburn-Cord-Duesenberg). One version was gifted to Harley Earl upon his retirement. The only surviving F-88 was sold at auction in 2005 for $3.2 million.

The XP-20 project, commonly known as F-88 was a pet project of Harley Earl (working wîth him was Bill Mitchell, Ken Pickering, Zora Duntov etc.). Four cars came out of the project, but only styling order #2265 (this car) survived. It was sold or given to E.L. Cord (Auburn-Cord-Duesenberg owner) in 1955. Hundreds of internal GM documents and original blue prints are still wîth this sole survivor.
1982 Newell 38' (built before #1) 6V92 DD, 5 Speed Allison, 12.5 KW Kohler, Couch used to make into a Bed but I fixed it!
https://newellshowcase.com/thumbnails.php?album=214
2007 Yukon, 1981 CJ7 Laredo, 2002 Honda CRV, 1955 Thunderbird, 1952 Pontiac Sedan Delivery, 1952 Ford 8N, 1958 Airstream, 1959 Glasspar 16' Avalon, Cabin in the Woods........what will I work on next
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
prairieschooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 04:16 AM   #11
rellick

Wow talk about neglect!! check this out, quite the vette collection!!
22' 350hp Jet Riverboat
79 Ford F250 4x4
Many others to list
Old 06-13-2013, 04:47 AM   #12
Ron Skeen

This car is in the Hendricks Collection, owned by Discovery Channel founder John Hendricks and his family, and the Gateway Colorado Automobile Museum. This is beautiful place to visit with a lot of nice cars.
1996 Newell 45' #422
2004 Newell 45'8" #689
60 Series Detriot
Yellow Dodge Truck
Ron Skeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 05:48 PM   #13
NEWELLWIZARD

Quote:
Originally Posted by rellick View Post
Wow talk about neglect!! check this out, quite the vette collection!!
Man neglect is right.
NEWELLWIZARD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 01:23 AM   #14
larryweikart

Name:	Scanned Image 111080049.jpg
Views:	292
Size:	33.3 KB
ID:	4240I owned this car back in the late 70's to the early 80's. It was called a Sterling and was originally produced in England with a VW Chassis and a small Porsche engine. Weighed less than 2000#'s and was very quick but had no front end weight and would porpoise real bad on rainy roads. It was eventually bought by an American and the last I knew the molds were owned by a Company in Breman, In. Nice little car.
1994 Newell #365 w/Corvette, 2002 streetrod 34 ford golf cart, 2009 Smart Car, 1958 Century Coronado, 1965 Cruisers Inc, CAR & BOAT CRAZY! LOVE OUR NEWELL!
larryweikart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 08:48 PM   #15
Neweller

Larry, that is pretty cool that you owned one of those too. You have owned a lot of very cool rides and such. My hat is off to you! After doing some research I found the company that owns the right to the Sterling and Cimbria's at the link Here:Sterling Sports Cars kit car VW replica

These guys offer a tube built pan replacement with Porsche suspension. Now were talking Larry!

Chassis and Engine Link Here:
http://www.sterlingsportscars.com/Tu...id-engine.html

Chassis Link Here: http://www.sterlingsportscars.com/Sp...r_Chassis.html

Here is a Sterling build page: http://www.sterlingsportscars.com/The_Build.html The dash arrangement is pretty sweet.

-Bob Marley
Old 06-16-2013, 02:28 AM   #16
larryweikart

Name:	Scanned Image 111080047.jpg
Views:	293
Size:	28.6 KB
ID:	4262Thanks for all the info and sites Ken. I had no idea that the Sterling was still being offered. Brought back some nice memories, like this one!
1994 Newell #365 w/Corvette, 2002 streetrod 34 ford golf cart, 2009 Smart Car, 1958 Century Coronado, 1965 Cruisers Inc, CAR & BOAT CRAZY! LOVE OUR NEWELL!
larryweikart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 08:16 PM   #17
Chester B. Stone, Jr.

Default Rare Old's 88 Corvette Killer

While I do not have a Vet, attached is a photo of a 1948 Lincoln Continental that I restored in the 1970's, photo of an Auburn Boat-tail I build in the 1970's and a photo of replica Mercedes 500K I built in 1990, which I still have.

Name:	1948 Lincoln Continental.jpg
Views:	291
Size:	23.2 KB
ID:	4277Click image for larger version

Name:	B4-Chester's 1935 Auburn.jpg
Views:	286
Size:	16.3 KB
ID:	4276Click image for larger version

Name:	Heritage 500K kit car.jpg
Views:	294
Size:	35.2 KB
ID:	4278
2001 Newell #579
tow a 2011 Honda Odyssey
1935 Mercedes 500K replica
Chester B. Stone, Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 09:08 PM   #18
Neweller

Chester, those are some nice rides for sure. You too have had hands on some sweet rides. That Auburn was really a sweetheart. I've too done my share of restoring but nothing like those. I used to go annually to the replica shows in Northern and Southern California and out in Carlisle. There are usually some nice Auburns and 500k's at those events. I've got some hands on experience in this realm as well. It was part of my full time gig for many years. I've had a good break now for a while that I've kind of worked up the itch again. Just not sure if I want to play with Newell's or build cars part of the time or both? Those darn colorful menu's anyway..........

-Bob Marley
Old 06-16-2013, 10:33 PM   #19
Chester B. Stone, Jr.

Ken, I will share a few more details. The Lincoln was a two year project, but won three national firsts. Drove it often in the Class Car Club of America caravans in the Midwest. The Auburn is also a replica. An individual, whose name I cannot remember, bought out Auburn's inventory when they went bankrupt many years ago. He moved the parts to Broken Arrow, OK, and started reproducing the body parts as well as the chrome plated brass parts. It was a real challenge to put it all together. I purchased the Mercedes replica from Heritage Motors in Florida, which came in a box on 28,000 parts, including screws. Outstanding instructions made it a fun project. Today it is in storage in Mexico and has a total of 3,000 miles on it. Thanks for your interest. I am getting too old at 78 to build any more. Just pushing my Newell around the Western states.
2001 Newell #579
tow a 2011 Honda Odyssey
1935 Mercedes 500K replica
Chester B. Stone, Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 11:41 PM   #20
Neweller

That is very interesting. Thanks very much for sharing, many of us are very intrigued with this kind of stuff. Glad you got to enjoy many of these great creations, there must be some fond memories for sure. It's also amazing how many replica or kit manufacturers that get bought out of bankruptcy and such, some more than once. Each time they become a greater bargain for the next owner and eventually they peak potential buyers interest many years later like a classic car or something. I remember so many makes that disappeared many moons ago and now they are being offered again but many with nice improvements like suspensions etc.... Just like Larry's Sterling...

-Bob Marley