Want to add a little Sport into your Toad but on a budget, lookie here!! - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-27-2012, 09:29 PM   #1
Neweller

Default Want to add a little Sport into your Toad but on a budget, lookie here!!

I plan on building one of these cars from a company called Factory Five Racing started and owned by a great fella named Dave Smith. I have had hands on with several projects from this company over the years and it all started with the acquiring of a second hand unfinished Cobra kit. Since the company started about 17 years ago, it has increased its choice of offerings to include this super cool soon to be released Project 818 that will utilize a Subaru WRX donor. I have a stored Donor car waiting to be dismantled, I bought recently for about $4000 because it was damaged. The cost of the kit will be right at $10,000 and then I will marry all the pieces together and have something pictured below. Factory Five Racing, ensures a flawless paint free body which will save a ton of time and money. This company builds first class components and I believe them when they say don't worry about the paint. I might have a total of $16-17k in the car finished but I will be ready to give Larry Brachfeld's Mini Cooper a run for his money! Sorry Larry, I couldn't resist.Or a group of us could get together and buy the racing version kits like the blue one over at the factory link here: http://www.factoryfive.com/kits/project-818/ and start a Newell Owners Racing Club!

By the way, this is a mid-engine that will surely give Porsche Boxsters a run for their money!!!!!! You know twin turbos and so on.......Do I have to say anymore??
Attached Images

If you want to sell, PM or Private Message me. Thanks!

"I know I知 not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Neweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 11:27 PM   #2
Neweller

Here is an update on the Project 818 due for production in June 2013. I still have my sights on building one of these.

[video=youtube;lGLX4HpMZsA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=lGLX4HpMZsA[/video]

"I know I知 not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Old 01-25-2013, 12:32 AM   #3
rellick

Sweet!! that would be a fun build Ken!
22' 350hp Jet Riverboat
79 Ford F250 4x4
Many others to list
rellick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 02:16 AM   #4
PIExpress

I'd be interested in a turn key version this way all I need is a key and put the pedal to the medal.
Old 01-25-2013, 10:39 AM   #5
smagown

Will it have airbags?
97 #458 w/3 roof airs, 07 997 GT3, 62 Vette,67 SS427 Chevelle, 02 Boxter, 74 GMC mtr hm, 88 Mastercraft 190 Prostar, 86 Ski Nautique 2000, 02 Baja Islander 212
smagown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 02:46 PM   #6
Neweller

Steve, would you want airbags? I suppose you could have them if so desired. This would be totally up to the owner and if he wanted to make an airbag system work.

If an individual so desired to add airbags, he would have to do this after all the physical properties of this particular vehicle are completely modeled, a firing algorithm can then be developed for the airbag system. This algorithm would decide when to fire the bags based on things like how fast you are going and the direction from which the impact comes. On average, a driver's side airbag, from the time of the current pulse to firing of the initiator, to bursting through the steering wheel cover, to fully inflating, to the internal bag pressure returning to less than 80% of max pressure, is about 40 Milli-seconds.

Something to remember, airbag effectiveness is diminished as vehicle speeds exceed about 50 - 60 MPH. Ever notice how all the top tier race leagues use a combination of energy ablative/absorption and driver restraint techniques?

I Myself in a vehicle like this, prefer the best available restraints for the application.

-Bob Marley
Old 01-25-2013, 04:17 PM   #7
jWolfe

Sweet. I would be interested Ken those are little bad boys toys.
Old 01-25-2013, 08:20 PM   #8
bigcatwally

I'm into classic cars but now you've got my attention. Let's hook it up!

1979 Classic Newell Coach
1967 Ford Mustang
1969 Chevrolet El Camino SS
bigcatwally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 01:07 AM   #9
Neweller

This is the latest update as of this week on the Factory Five Racing or FFR Project 818. I have my pre-order in and I'm excited about building this car. Something to break up the monotony of this lousy weather going on for now over 5 months.Actually it's probably only wishful thinking since guess I won't have this kit until probably summer. The kit that I will be building is the "S" model for street and not this "R" Racing version shown below. Wish me luck!

Project 818 - Project 818 Update #6

Click image for larger version

Name:	818R Almost Ready for Full Production.jpg
Views:	294
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	4005
As of yesterday, we have received 222 orders for the 818 sports car! The S-model (street) has 184 pre-orders and the R-model (race-competition) has 38 pre-orders. Current production plans call for the S-model to enter production first, with the very first kit shipping to Grassroots Motorsports Magazine on June 15th, which is our Open House here at Factory Five.

This month, we are ending April with more testing on the track. Jim and his crew are down in North Carolina with the boys from KONI Shocks getting final valving and shock testing completed for both S and R models. We should have performance testing completed by the first week in May. One of the biggest differences from many of the kits we’ve developed over the years has been the degree to which we’ve asked for, and received help from partner companies. I cannot say enough good about the crew from KONI, but they’re not the only ones. Hewlett Packard and SolidWorks Software, Wilwood Brakes, Toyo Tires, Sherwin Williams Finishes, AJW, SMG Motoring, the Factory Five community, and Grassroots Motorsports Magazine are among the development partners that have made this car so good.

Production tooling is also on target with molds being in their 3rd generation and the main chassis jig nearly complete. We’ve scheduled the month of May for the completion of our third street car and completion of our 818 assembly manual. A lot of people have asked about whether we would have an 818 at either Huntington Beach or Carlisle Replica Nationals. Huntington Beach is out since both cars are undergoing track testing, but we are planning on bringing an 818 to the Carlisle show in May.

Big plans are in store for our summer Open House, where we will be showing (and shipping) 818S kit number 001 to Tim Suddard and his crew at Grassroots Motorsports Magazine. We will also have a street car and race car on display for people to sit in and check out. Since there are a good number of orders already scheduled, we are transitioning from design/development to a careful and planned production ramp up.

Look for a comprehensive evaluation of the 818 in a major magazine soon. The test results were exciting and we can only report that the car ran under 4.0 seconds to 60 MPH and performed above all of our expectations. The car was tested by a top tier magazine and the communication I got from the editor after he drove the car at full-tilt was this:

“$#!* that car’s a rocket! It’s like driving a mini can-am car. Job well done!”

That was a private note to me but knowing the source it speaks volumes about the competence of the design, and its extremely satisfying after all of the work we’ve done on the chassis and suspension to get that kind of feedback from an experienced driver/editor.

I’ll continue to communicate as we are now less than 8 weeks away from the production launch of the next great Factory Five.

Dave Smith
President

-Bob Marley
Old 04-26-2013, 01:22 AM   #10
Neweller

The fact that FFR has worked through three generations of panels speaks volumes about the team’s commitment to paint-free, perfect fit composite panels.

[ATTACH][/ATTACH]

-Bob Marley
Old 04-26-2013, 09:07 PM   #11
stewart33

Nice!

That's me ^ Just dreaming...
stewart33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 08:51 PM   #12
Neweller

Looks like I have to wait a while to receive my project 818 from FFR. I guess I was dreaming about getting to build it this summer. The fall will be the soonest or at the latest next spring, that's how many orders they have ahead of mine on this. I will know within a couple of weeks a better time frame. I was really hoping to build one and if it worked out I want to build additional for another market. Oh well, I'll just keep dreaming for now. Maybe it's a sign to get a shop built for use stateside and maybe refurbish Newell's or something.....

Here's a SEMA video of the Factory Five owner and his main design/build engineer;

[video=youtube;1voMV-W6ztw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=1voMV-W6ztw[/video]

-Bob Marley
Old 05-22-2013, 02:01 AM   #13
larryweikart

Click image for larger version

Name:	get-attachment-4.aspx.jpeg
Views:	243
Size:	90.6 KB
ID:	4128Click image for larger version

Name:	get-attachment-10.aspx.jpeg
Views:	257
Size:	111.0 KB
ID:	4127I've got a great, fully equipped Race shop, fenced in around 3 acres. with a loft bedroom, all very new, in Pahrump, Nv. which you can lease for next to nothing Ken. Great year around climate and low cost of living are pluses!
1994 Newell #365 w/Corvette, 2002 streetrod 34 ford golf cart, 2009 Smart Car, 1958 Century Coronado, 1965 Cruisers Inc, CAR & BOAT CRAZY! LOVE OUR NEWELL!
larryweikart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 02:29 AM   #14
Neweller

That's looks like a really cool set-up Larry. I sure like those professional tools on four wheels too. You are sure good at teasing a poor fella. What size is that place? Heck, I would have to start building the 818 Race versions out there. Maybe sell them as turnkey race cars or something?

-Bob Marley
Old 05-23-2013, 03:07 AM   #15
larryweikart

It's 50X80 Ken, and would be perfect for building cars. There's a great race track there for testing those little rascals before shipping to the new owner.
1994 Newell #365 w/Corvette, 2002 streetrod 34 ford golf cart, 2009 Smart Car, 1958 Century Coronado, 1965 Cruisers Inc, CAR & BOAT CRAZY! LOVE OUR NEWELL!
Old 05-23-2013, 01:55 PM   #16
rellick

Sounds like a great place Larry, will a Newell fit in there? Ken this looks like a great opportunity! I'd be jumping up and down like a kid in a candy store!!
22' 350hp Jet Riverboat
79 Ford F250 4x4
Many others to list
Old 05-23-2013, 02:26 PM   #17
Neweller

Keith, you know it! I would say I'm definitely enticed. Nothing like Newell and Fast Car Dreams! I could then pull those Snap-On boxes out of mothballs which I was actually thinking of just selling. I was wondering the same about how well a Newell would fit in there?

Tell me if this isn't a sexy little machine right here: https://www.factoryfive.com/galleries/project-818/

Then click on the following link and check out the slide show: Project 818 Development Archives 2

Photographs of 818S and 818R during molding, prototyping, and developmental engineering. …

-Bob Marley
Old 05-23-2013, 03:14 PM   #18
rellick

Those are sweet Ken, I love building things like that
22' 350hp Jet Riverboat
79 Ford F250 4x4
Many others to list
Old 05-23-2013, 06:09 PM   #19
NewellCrazy

Larry, Do the cars come with the building rental Name:  bth_Smiley27-1.gif
Views: 689
Size:  21.4 KB

If Ain't a Newell, It Ain't Wurt Oonin!
NewellCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 02:52 AM   #20
larryweikart

Name:  get-attachment-5.aspx.jpeg
Views: 763
Size:  98.3 KBClick image for larger version

Name:	get-attachment.aspx.jpeg
Views:	218
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	4152Cars do not come with the building, but I do! I would love to help build a beauty like that, the building has 16' overhead doors on both ends and you can pull a semi/trailer in and close it up. It has swamp coolers which actually cools it very well. Surprisingly there are a number of car collectors in Pahrump. Here's a couple more pics to keep Ken pondering his next move!