Towing and Turning Radius - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-19-2013, 05:28 PM   #1
Birdman

Default Towing and Turning Radius

Hi All,

First time tower here looking for some feedback on towing. I'm towing a Chevy Silverado, 4 down. Is the turning radius affected? Is it any wider? It was suggested to me that I should place flags on each side of the truck so I can see them in my mirrors. Any particular hazards I need to be concerned with? Anything you can suggest to make this easier and safer would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Birdman

Birdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 06:43 PM   #2
Neweller

Birdman, we have another member on here towing what sounds like the exact same truck named Forest (Folivier) and hopefully will chime in. He has recently picked up a bad boy '45 Newell, but previously had a '39 Newell. He probably hasn't towed the truck behind the new coach yet, but should have some great insight to share on the subject. What length is your coach? Flags are not a bad idea. A larger vehicle like that will definitely be easier to find in your side mirrors vs. a smaller car. I have towed a Yukon XL behind a '38 Classic Newell and it was a piece of cake to me, as it followed right along nicely through turns and around corners.

If you want to sell, PM or Private Message me. Thanks!

"I know I’m not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Neweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 06:55 PM   #3
NewellCrazy

Longer your wheel base larger turning radius you need. Another good idea when towing is to install a tire pressure monitoring system which is important, especially when towing. This allows you to monitor tire pressure on both tow vehicle and coach.

[h=1]Understanding Motorhome Turning Radius vs Wheel Cut[/h]45ft Newell's come in @ 308" wheel base.

Turning Radius: The turning radius or turning circle of a motorhome is the size of the smallest circular turn (i.e. U-turn) that the RV is capable of making.

Wheel Cut: Wheel cut is how sharply the front wheels can turn, measured in degrees.

Wheelbase: The wheelbase is the horizontal distance between the center of the front wheels and the center of the rear wheels.

Benefit of Increased Wheel Cut: Gives your motorhome better maneuverability in tight spaces such as campgrounds, parking lots, and fuel stations by decreasing its turning radius. The turning radius is effected by the coaches wheelbase and the degree of its wheel cut.

Name:  Diesel-Motorhomes-Turning-Radius-55-Wheel-Cut.gif
Views: 12267
Size:  11.1 KB

If Ain't a Newell, It Ain't Wurt Oonin!
NewellCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 03:11 AM   #4
folivier

We drove 3 hours towards Dallas to visit friends. The turning radius on the 45' is quite a bit larger but will just take a bit more attention and planning.
I tow a Z71 extended cab and find it tracks behind either coach on a turn and does not swing wider or narrower but stays within the rear wheel track.
I leave the rear camera on all the time and can watch the truck, also to see when I clear a vehicle to pull back the right lane.
1998 Newell 45' 2 slide #486
2004 Chevy Silverado Z71
2013 RZR 570LE

"You don't have a soul. You are a soul, you have a body." C.S.Lewis

https://www.luxurycoachlifestyle.com/...php?albumid=14
folivier is offline   Reply With Quote