Basement AC rescue - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-03-2013, 04:03 AM   #1
TheCarabiners

Default Basement AC rescue

Well, I have just replaced our third and last AC motor in the basement. I bought 2 replacement motors from Newell, but neither held up past a month. I went on a mission to find a replacement and found one. We have Dometic basement units. Here is a pic of the old motor and the label to the box of the new one. There is also a pic of the problem; the bushings. I found this motor with ball bearings in it. The new motor has 7 wires, but the old has only 3. I have a pic of the wiring as well. The Brown from old is removed or capped off. It is not needed because the new motor has a capacitor with it. The Black, Blue, and Purple go to the BLACK from the AC. The Yellow, Orange, and Red from the new motor are wire nutted together. The White goes to the White. We have used the first replacement for over a year now and it is still going strong. We spend a lot of time out west in 100 degrees plus and the units run 24/7. I hope the pics upload well enough. If you are having problems with the bushing-style old motors, I strongly urge you you consider replacing the motor. They are almost half-price too!! Interestingly enough, the new motor is a Rescue motor! ...............................................Can 't get the pics to upload. Will try another time.

TheCarabiners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 05:12 AM   #2
TheCarabiners

Pics. Old and New Name:  Ac motor old new a.jpg
Views: 17838
Size:  8.6 KB The problemClick image for larger version

Name:	Ac motor problem 1.jpg
Views:	891
Size:	31.4 KB
ID:	4504 Worn out bushings.Click image for larger version

Name:	Ac motor problem 2 a.jpg
Views:	868
Size:	20.6 KB
ID:	4505Click image for larger version

Name:	Ac motor problem 3 a.jpg
Views:	884
Size:	12.3 KB
ID:	4506 Hooked upClick image for larger version

Name:	AC motor wiring.jpg
Views:	974
Size:	21.4 KB
ID:	4507
These motors are quiet and strong. If yours goes out, consider these. We are very happy with them.

Old 09-05-2013, 10:29 AM   #3
folivier

Fantastic job! Everyone with a Dometic basement air will be glad to know there is a replacement.
1998 Newell 45' 2 slide #486
2004 Chevy Silverado Z71
2013 RZR 570LE

"You don't have a soul. You are a soul, you have a body." C.S.Lewis

https://www.luxurycoachlifestyle.com/...php?albumid=14
folivier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 11:52 AM   #4
larryweikart

Thanks for the great post and pics. I'm about to dive in to a/c #2, of 4, They have been a constant problem. Thankful that we normally only need 2 to cool things down.
1994 Newell #365 w/Corvette, 2002 streetrod 34 ford golf cart, 2009 Smart Car, 1958 Century Coronado, 1965 Cruisers Inc, CAR & BOAT CRAZY! LOVE OUR NEWELL!
larryweikart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 01:54 PM   #5
stewart33

I agree this will be greatly appreciated. Thanks for sharing and glad you got the photos posted up.
stewart33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 03:32 AM   #6
TheCarabiners

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryweikart View Post
Thanks for the great post and pics. I'm about to dive in to a/c #2, of 4, They have been a constant problem. Thankful that we normally only need 2 to cool things down.
Any questions, feel free to ask. I don't it all, but I have done A LOT on these AC's. These motors are great. You won't believe my temporary control box fix!! It works till I find the right part...but that is another issue.
Old 09-06-2013, 01:14 PM   #7
Neweller

This is really great info, thank you for sharing. This is a huge reason why many are afraid of the basement air systems in the Newell's. But I'm starting to feel better about this area myself with more viable repair information coming to fruition.
If you want to sell, PM or Private Message me. Thanks!

"I know I’m not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Neweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 01:43 PM   #8
NewellCrazy

Awesome job, Great Pics! I'm sure it will help many people.

Sean

If Ain't a Newell, It Ain't Wurt Oonin!
NewellCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 12:23 AM   #9
Austinswalk

Hi,
Have a 1991 newell and my front fan motor is out that cools my basement unit. Think my fan motors are different but wondering if these may work on mine? Could not make out the brand or model in the picture when I blow up.

Austinswalk is offline   Reply With Quote