Siding Corrosion - Luxury Coach Lifestyles
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-09-2010, 06:45 PM   #1
77newell

Default Siding Corrosion

I have slight corrosion on my 77 coach due to the breakdown of the plastic sheeting installed between the steel frame and the aluminum skin. I've replaced the plastic with a heavier gauge plastic and all is well. I once looked at an 89 model year coach that was corroding around the rear wheel wells due to the same breakdown (my guess based upon the pattern, I didn't look under the skin for obvious reasons)

My wife and I are thinking of buyin a series 2000 coach and I'm wondering if that series was made differently from the earlier coaches to better cope with driving on winter roads. I'm guess salty roads contributed greatly to my coaches spots of corrosion.

Does anyone know?

Jon
77 show coach with Civic toad

77newell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 06:02 PM   #2
77newell

I called Newell, talked with service and was told that the 90's models have doublesided tape between the steel structure and the skin and is very unlikely to suffer the corrosion symptoms the earlier models did.

Old 05-13-2010, 06:14 PM   #3
Neweller

Thanks for the update. I was thinking of addressing the same issues. Have a fried who retired from Boeing and was explaining some things about it. So, the Newell factory is using the double sided tape that is used on automotive emblems and molding, I assume? If this is correct, then we can find the rolls at a local autobody supply store.

Did Newell mention the width, maybe 3/4" or 1" etc.?

Ken W.
If you want to sell, PM or Private Message me. Thanks!

"I know I’m not perfect, and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
-Bob Marley
Neweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 10:15 PM   #4
77newell

I can't believe I didn't ask about the width, what a sensible question to ask. I have used the automotive emblem double-sided tape to paste some patches onto the skin in a couple places just for appearance purposes and it holds really well. If the tape were used in place of the plastic it really isn't holding any weight since the skin is held along its top and bottom edge by rivets or screws, but it would provide a secure separation between the steel and the aluminum.

Jon Kabbe
77 newell with civic toad